• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grizzly Trucks

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Hydrotech tells me my booster is being shipped early next week..Should'nt take me long to do the refit and get the truck back on the road again..I am also working on putting A/C in the truck as well.Should'nt be too difficult...I need to change a housing on the side of the Cummins for the newer compressor.A long time friend works at Thermo King and he will help me out.I am going to a roof top unit as I have no other place to put the unit.Also the condenser is in the unit so no jamming more stuff in the nose of the truck...Have'nt told my upholstery guy yet about cutting a hole in the new headliner....Roof top unit is 7.5" tall...

View attachment 184638
I will stay over on Island until after you have told upholstery guy

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Yes...I suspect he will have something to say....
My booster has arrived.I will pick it up at the post office tomorrow.....Hope to get the Grizzly back together for the weekend.
Working 6-7 days a week right now...Today we loaded just under 90,000 lbs of steel into place.Top beam weighed in at 36,000 lbs.That is Merve from Aggressive running the rotator truck..We put the other two columns up as well....
I wont show any clear pics of the top roll but I will get some suitable pics tomorrow......You will get the idea of the size of this....WCP 004 (6).JPG WCP 005 (5).JPG WCP 006 (5).JPG WCP 007 (5).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Thanks...
New booster showed up today.After dinner I modified the mounting plate to fit the truck. I will work on it a little every night after dinner as I suspect I may be working this week end....Booster looks good.It appears to actually be built and tested by Bosch...

diamondtguy

Occupation
Managed to spend a couple hours today on the booster.I redid the mounting plate to make it look a little more professional ...As in I welded all the holes up so it only has one bolt pattern.The brake pedal rod was a bit of a issue.It was to long so my 1' spacers had to go back in and I had to make a adaptor from another pushrod to suit my brake pedal.
But.....my master is incorrect for it.The bolt pattern is off and so is the spigot size.The pushrod in the booster is also 3/16 to long but I can deal with that...Looks like I am not finished......
More research......

grizzly 005 (69).JPG grizzly 006 (49).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
I had some time today to play with the brakes..
Hydrotech suggested I get a 75-80 Chevy 1ton master cyl for the truck.I found a new one and have it here.It is 1 5/16 bore and my unknown original is 1 1/8.The Chevy ones original application was also on the end of a Hydro booster...
The new booster is threaded for the master but I couldn't figure out what thread..It was not 7/16 nc nor 12x1.75 or 12x1.50...I just retapped it to 7/16NC so I could move on...
Now the truck has Brake Guard anti lock foo foo valves plumbed in.I am removing these and pulling out the 24" flex lines someone used to plumb the master in.I will hard line it all...I will get some lines tomorrow.Master is in the shop and all bled....Should be good when done...

grizzly 001 (122).JPG grizzly 003 (104).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
These are the foo foo valves..I have seen them before but I don't know anything about them..I found on the net grizzly 004 (83).JPG grizzly 005 (70).JPG they lost a court case in 97 and were told to stop all claims about the valves.
They were claiming they worked as good as OEM anti lock brakes...Hmmm

diamondtguy

Occupation
You can see the flex hoses off of the master cyl...They are about 24" long.Date code on them says they are 2010...I am not apposed to them but they can affect the brake pedal feel when they get old and expand under pressure...I will just change them back to steel and be done with it....
grizzly 001 (23).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Managed to finish the truck tonight...I don't have to work this weekend so I will fire up the truck tomorrow and road test it....Going to Alberni for the truck show this week end isn't going to happen...I am behind schedule and the ferries are a fricken mess....I will come to the Island in the next few weeks...

grizzly 001 (123).JPG grizzly 003 (105).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
Working on bleeding the power steering...Ended up with zero time this weekend to work on the truck...

I got this very old pic yesterday of truck #4..Only pic that has surfaced of that truck.They claim this truck was purchased at some point by Kozy Kleen in Kamloops...I guess the rumor was true...Now I need to find out if they still have it or have any pictures..

truck #4.jpg

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Cory the last time I seen the truck there was about 10 years ago. Gene the Owner has passed away but his sons still run the business, I think I sent you contact information a year ago or so.

diamondtguy

Occupation
Yes you did.....I just tried something different and contacted them using Facebook.Mary has a account on there.They got back to me right away...The truck was sold after Gene died and they do not know where it is...I sent them the pic to verify and asked if they have any pics or info...So I will have to turn the page and keep looking.At least I know what it looks like...There are still a couple out there un accounted for.

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
I am surprised that the boys (twins) sold the truck there Mom lives just north at Ralighe and looks like she still has most of Genes stuff there used to be a logger here in Princeton the boys were on my school bus in 77 and 78

diamondtguy

Occupation
The granddaughter confirmed that that was his truck.She said the truck went to the Island...Grandma sold the truck...Still conversing with her on facebook...

diamondtguy

Occupation
So.....long shot here...If Kozy Kleens truck went to the Island then just maybe this is it now....Looks the same to me but I am very tired from work...I need to get ahold of the owner and talk to him about its history..
Open to thoughts......
b_c_canada_june2012_241 (2).jpg

ben46a

The only thing I question is the tank on the drivers side infront of the door that isn't there on the kozy kleen truck......but its very possible someone did some upgrades other than just the cosmetics (stacks, chromed bumper, wheels, etc). Im inclined to agree it is the same truck.

diamondtguy

Occupation
So....My truck is testing me (again)...I have it running and have bled the brakes...That part is fine.Steering is not fricken happy.It moans very bad and seems to be struggling..
As per Hydra Boosts instructions.I jacked the truck up and cycled the steering lock to lock with out the truck running.I have a cooler so I did it 40 times.Then I did it probably 30 more times.On the ground and running I cycled it 20-30 times over a few days.Weather was not good so I didn't road test it...
Steering has never been 100% since I put it back together.My GM friend thinks its the relief valve in the bottom of the Saginaw pump...
I am open to ideas.......

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I was in Sayward some 10 years ago now and found the guy with the Grizzly truck sort of my accident... He had some old logging equipment that piqued my curiosity and so I just had to look at it. He showed me his entire collection of stuff including the Grizzly truck. When I get to my computer later on I'll try to find the pictures (don't have them on my ipad...) and post them for you. He was a very nice gentleman, unfortunately I don't remember his name or the serial number of the truck...

diamondtguy

Occupation
I believe the owners name is Larry...It apparently is truck # 4 if it is indeed the old Kozy Kleen truck...Pictures would be great....

My steering dilemma....Hydratech says to ditch my atf fluid in the pump and switch to synthetic.They also said to put some miles on it and work the air out..I have not heard back from Can Craft...
Today my friend brought over a Chevy 1 ton steering pump and parts from a truck that used a hydraboost..The pump has a better can on it with 2 return lines and a external reservoir fitting and tank...I got the relief valve as well.....I may rip my system apart and install the 1 ton stuff along with the different relief valve...Its a crap shoot but worth the risk....Left over parts will just get used on my Diamond T.

I started cutting out the rear wheel tubs today...They are in bad shape (rust) and the other week I realized I don't even need them.They will be deleted.This will make putting a rubber mat in the box very easy (sort of)...

grizzly 002 (125).JPG

diamondtguy

Occupation
A lovely day of fricken monsoon style rain today here in Whonnock...I did manage to finish cutting out the wheel tubs..The right side one was also rusted out on the bottom but the rubber was covering it all up.Not sure if I am going to blank them off or put some storage boxes there...I will figure something out..

grizzly 003 (106).JPG