• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good thing or bad thing?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Not sure how far off topic we have gotten here (oops) but the Cat powered truck has gotten both rear drop ins replaced, front drive axle housing replaced, all new heater hoses, and all the suspension bushings and engine mounts replace, slowly it's becoming a newer truck. The Cummins powered rig will get new bushings and mounts soon. And they have 5 other trucks for me to play with too.

td25c

Your spot on topic RZ .

Manufacturers can weed out small dealerships if need be .

What they can't do is weed out independent mechanics & shops . :D

This is about $ money …..

Customer don't like the cost at a dealership they will look elsewhere .

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Your spot on topic RZ .

Manufacturers can weed out small dealerships if need be .

What they can't do is weed out independent mechanics & shops . :D

This is about $ money …..

Customer don't like the cost at a dealership they will look elsewhere .

Honestly, I don't think I can compete with dealer prices. I think I get my work from honesty and actually caring about the customer needs and concerns. Plus the simple fact that I hate electronics. :D

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Honestly, I don't think I can compete with dealer prices. I think I get my work from honesty and actually caring about the customer needs and concerns. Plus the simple fact that I hate electronics. :D

I love electronics but it seems obvious to me that manufacturers are either incompetent in designing them or are purposely trying to thwart us, or both.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
I love electronics but it seems obvious to me that manufacturers are either incompetent in designing them or are purposely trying to thwart us, or both.
Electronics are a good thing, really. remember Chevy small blocks with a carburetor? 125K miles and they were done. the Vortecs would go 425K miles just because they weren't over gassed. I don't mind the N-14 or the 3406E... But the later engines with Emissions issues, I don't want to deal with. EGR, and DEF. No Bueno.
I have enough other stuff I can work on.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Electronics are a good thing, really. remember Chevy small blocks with a carburetor? 125K miles and they were done. the Vortecs would go 425K miles just because they weren't over gassed. I don't mind the N-14 or the 3406E... But the later engines with Emissions issues, I don't want to deal with. EGR, and DEF. No Bueno.
I have enough other stuff I can work on.

Exactly right. Late 90s-early 2000s things seemed to have reached their peak. It has been a downhill spaghetti nightmare since then.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Yes crossed a pinnacle on engines and controls, not sure who got what for going the route they have but have gone to producing crap, overpriced crap. I still get to play on occasion here, couple locals have some old shat they cannot locate anyone with sense as to how to work on them so call me as to what to do. Not too much hands on but can reference what the mechanic they take to had best be telling them or mansplaining to them.

Set up a old 335 a little hot years ago, would roll out to 2200 pretty easy and if stayed into it to 1600 in a long hard pull could drive the pyro across 1500 degrees REALLY fast where the owner was very cautious with it, drove it four years no problems. Got injured cutting trees in a fence row put a driver on it and smoked a piscan in a week. Did a minor on it dropped throttle shaft shims back in to cut it back, swapped buttons back to original and all was good again until the owner got back in it, reverse procedure!!

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Yes crossed a pinnacle on engines and controls, not sure who got what for going the route they have but have gone to producing crap, overpriced crap. I still get to play on occasion here, couple locals have some old shat they cannot locate anyone with sense as to how to work on them so call me as to what to do. Not too much hands on but can reference what the mechanic they take to had best be telling them or mansplaining to them.

Set up a old 335 a little hot years ago, would roll out to 2200 pretty easy and if stayed into it to 1600 in a long hard pull could drive the pyro across 1500 degrees REALLY fast where the owner was very cautious with it, drove it four years no problems. Got injured cutting trees in a fence row put a driver on it and smoked a piscan in a week. Did a minor on it dropped throttle shaft shims back in to cut it back, swapped buttons back to original and all was good again until the owner got back in it, reverse procedure!!
I worked for a fella with 35 units hauling flat bed. I was kind of a spare, so I didn't have my own truck. I took a guys truck for a run, his dad was I'll, and he had to go home. It was an 89 KW with a 425 cat, 18 speed with 373s I think. It was less than a year old, nice truck. It was hilly country, and she was working way better than the other 425s in the fleet. My dad was a t&t mechanic, so I knew enough to only push her when I needed to. The driver's father passed away, so the next trip, the boss's son took it. He must have held it because he didn't make his destination. Turns out that the driver's brother worked for cat. He cut the seals on the pump to turn her up, and put another seal on. No warranty from cat, driver was let go, and cat sent the brother to the curb to.

td25c

Head out Monday to do an " in frame " on a 1979 Kenworth W-900 .

290 big cam Cummins .

Engine kit was pretty expensive . $ 1,200.00

Figure around $ 3,000.00 labor .

Add in the barley soda & tater chip's round it off to an even $ 5000.00

LOL ! :D:p

Burnt piston .

100_4604.JPG

Camshaft looks pretty good . 100_4607.JPG
Use a garden sprayer with diesel to hose down the skank off the crank & block . 100_4600.JPG
Dropped the sleeves in this afternoon .

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So, what was the cause? Bad injector, bent cooling nozzles, enquiry minds want to know.
My experience has always been burnt crowns. Never seen the skirt eaten up like that before.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That was a fuel cook off, Injector or fueling hard. Could also have been water initiated, inj tube or head leak. Installing reman heads? At least by sleeve bores kept coolant additives or filter changed and up to snuff.