• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good thing or bad thing?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Cummins uses a Unit Injector, when they leak they smoke and miss pretty bad as at rest are Bottomed out plunger to barrel.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I've had dripping injectors before usually accompanied by a horrendous fuel knock but again I've never had to replace a piston as a result if the piston did fail it was almost always the Crown that's why that image was so surprising to me. I appreciate everyone Sharing their experiences

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
That 335 that burned down made that piston look a lot less a problem!! It scored 1/3 the radius of the piston skirt as it went!!

td25c

All good valid points & questions .

Piston oiler nozzles look good .

No funky spray pattern on top of the piston crown .

Keep in mind this is a 290 Cummins big cam 1 . Turbo but no aftercooler .

Not that uncommon to see them " Flame " down the piston skirt .

I'm guessing piston ring failure got it started .
Number 4 failed and # 6 was not far behind it .

Going with rebuilt injectors and keeping the old heads .

This is what happens when ya keep a truck around to long ….. Ya get to work on it once in awhile . LOL !:D

Last edited:

td25c

Rebuilt injectors were $ 40.00 a piece .

Also went with a rebuilt turbo at $ 595 .00

Hate to spend that kind of cash on the project . But ya got to do what ya got to do .:)