• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good thing or bad thing?

td25c

Good God If I live another 25 years I will have to overhaul the 1979 Kenworth again for the third time . LOL ! :D

All BS aside with technology advances over the years dealership support after the warrantee runs out don't mount up to a bowl of beans .

All the aftermarket companies with ability to" tool up " and reproduce parts amazes me .

Installed a water pump on the 1966 Chevy C-60 . Small block 350 engine , pump cost $ 18.00 .

In frame engine kit for the 290 Cummins project $ 1,200.00

Who needs a dealer at this point ?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Good God If I live another 25 years I will have to overhaul the 1979 Kenworth again for the third time . LOL ! :D

All BS aside with technology advances over the years dealership support after the warrantee runs out don't mount up to a bowl of beans .

All the aftermarket companies with ability to" tool up " and reproduce parts amazes me .

Installed a water pump on the 1966 Chevy C-60 . Small block 350 engine , pump cost $ 18.00 .

In frame engine kit for the 290 Cummins project $ 1,200.00

Who needs a dealer at this point ?

A lot of the trucks I work on are mid 80's to late 90's. We do our best to keep them up without costing huge money. We have been doing some extensive updates on wiring and hoses.

Last edited:

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
We just spent around $15,000 on a 99 T600 with 900k miles on it. 60 series ate a valve and broke the liner and block. repowered with a salvage yard motor $8,000. did labor our self. Had the hood fixed up and repainted . rebuilt the drivers door. Replaced bushings in suspension and some other small things. The truck drives really nice and is not all loose, so we decided to keep it.
The problem for us is if we buy a newer used truck, the emissions or the engine will cost us the same amount with in a year or two. Plus the cost of the truck $40,000?
We have some newer ones O5, 07, and a 2010. all kw and petes. They have all cost a lot to fix the emissions. They will be good to go now. If I could go back in time I would have bought 96-03 trucks.

As far as one company having all the dealers in a area. I think it suck for the customers. you have to go hundreds of miles away to get a better deal or service sometimes. I do understand why the manufacturers would rather sell to 5 big dealers in a area than 40, but it is not the best for customers sometimes.

TVA

Last time I did accessory drive bushings on N14, ended up replacing cracked cam gear and replacing cam bushings/bearings. Every time you open up these oldtimers you wonder: what awaits me and how extensive the job will be?!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Last time I did accessory drive bushings on N14, ended up replacing cracked cam gear and replacing cam bushings/bearings. Every time you open up these oldtimers you wonder: what awaits me and how extensive the job will be?!
Yeah, these guys brought me a 3406B a year ago for an overhead and Jake adjustment. After finding coolant pooled in all the core plugs in the top of the head, it turned into a full blown inframe. And they were told it could turn into an out of frame overhaul. To them it's just part of the business.

AzIron

In frame on a b series and your good for at least 5 to 10 years rebuild a trans and rear end and then you only need to worry about a cab that's still cheaper than a new truck or a newer truck with issues

crane operator

Is it just the camera angle those stacks don't look like they will go out the overhead door behind the truck?

You better get your eyes checked, or have you been into the antifreeze early today?:)

I'm betting there's at least 8" clearance.

And don't ask Dmiller- he hasn't had his eye surgery yet. How's that old saying "he's blind in one eye and can't see out the other"

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
You better get your eyes checked, or have you been into the antifreeze early today?:)

I'm betting there's at least 8" clearance.

And don't ask Dmiller- he hasn't had his eye surgery yet. How's that old saying "he's blind in one eye and can't see out the other"

Well I had my eyes done last fall, maybe it's time to see if they need an after break-in time tune-up?

PS: Last "anti-freeze" was about 14 hours before that post!

TVA

Well I had my eyes done last fall, maybe it's time to see if they need an after break-in time tune-up?

PS: Last "anti-freeze" was about 14 hours before that post!
It might be a time to repeat! Anti-freeze I mean!

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Is that a 425?
Yep, plain old 7FB series with all stock timing and pump settings. The driver is more than happy with it. The other '86 with the 365 Cummins seems to run well enough for it's current driver too. They are both old school guys that realize they are responsible for keeping the engine from burning down. The newbies have to drive an electronic engine that can protect its self.