• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good old Iron versus new stuff

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
View attachment 200884 View attachment 200885 View attachment 200886 View attachment 200887 Here,s some photo,s of Piacentini,s yard courtesy of another man who i wont name but thankyou anyway.
Can see 51B and 51Es with elevators as well as just plain normal 51Es.Few auger jobs which are real good in the sand.I know they have 57s with twin augers in them.
The 31G is one of 6 i believe they got from Queensland and are going to put the front bit on a couple 39s and maybe some 33s.
The arseends you can see i think are bits that were no good when they fully rebuilt the 3 that ive mentioned and shown pics of not long ago.I will get this pic downloading right one day too,dont know how they turned out like this.If you want a close up look use 2 fingers to spread the photo.

I think the two machines in the foreground of the second pic down are the Wabcats they built in house, 651 tractor with a heavily modified 353 Wabco bowl. The elevator frames, rolling floor, and rear fenders with steps look pretty familiar to me. Spent quite a bit of time on the rear fender of 353's with that grab bar digging into my ribs. :(

Questionable wizard

Quite the yard. Would be easy to mix and match components as needed. I'd love to have the ability to do that with our equipment. We've finally realized it's good to have a spare dozer and excavator on hand with all the trouble code and sensor issues. Had the JD 9510R tractor on a 2112E pan today blow out the pipe connecting the two turbos at the stainless steel bellows. Go figure! Simplicity at its finest.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Nothing from any other engines
Just shocked to see them going into so many prime movers as repowers. Allis used Cummins in the later years effectively
Basically the Komatsu line were outdated Cummins designs
Would have thought Cats staying with a Cat line but the Tier 4 is a different Breed

Still a 660 that is Cummins powered just sounds wrong!!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Cost is everything. What is the difference in price between the Cummins and comparable Cat. I know on whole goods Cat carries a minimum 10% over the rest mostly on name. So is a Cat motor going to provide 10% or more life and production than the Cummins. I doubt it.

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
I reckon Cats are gutless compared to Cummins.The only Cat that ive come across in along time that had some guts was the 3412 in the 57E i was on.
The 37G i was on for a little while had abit and then i found a 37E they bought in from another site that could keep up with the Gs and actually give them a shove up the rse goin up the ramp back into the pit.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Upgrading any of these old critters to a Tier4 Fly by wire would be an expense, Cummins or Cat. Would drop back to serviceable and or servicing supplier proximity being that optimal sales factor.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Upgrading any of these old critters to a Tier4 Fly by wire would be an expense, Cummins or Cat. Would drop back to serviceable and or servicing supplier proximity being that optimal sales factor.

The QSX still has no vulnerable HUEI system either. But they are very dirt sensitive, constant inspection of the intake system can save some big bucks. Seen that on earlier IH Quad track tractors where the operators thought that beating that Donaldson air filter on the track would clean it out.

TVA

You know guys, lately my new customers for some reasons are shipyards and other marine facilities! And it is amazing how much really old iron they still use! Detroit two stroke screamers are everywhere, probably because there’s still a lot of them still used in the vessels! From 3 to
12 cylinders! Sometimes they change rotation to adapt them to machines!
Like the manager of Resolve Marine ( not my customers but the man I know ) once said: we go 12 miles off shore and smoke up the sky!!!
Other engines I see all the time at these places are BT4-BT6 and Detroit 6.5s and Deutz air cooled.
Whole bunch of old American Cranes, Pettybone cherry pickers and even Bycirus Erie!

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
Thats the clip i tried to upload.Thanks mate well done.I bet if Cat still made these, say in this size and a large one and maybe twin powered they would still sell well.We seem to have gone backwards on scrapers,at least in the size.
When you watch the socal vids with all those 57s tearing down the mountains you have to wonder how some 666s or big twin bowled Euclids,(if they still made them and what a shame they dont coz they would eat those huge hills)would go.Im sure a 57 with another bowl and motor would work well.
The 666 and 660 and one of the 830s in a bigger size with their 4 wheel tractors would be alot more stable on the steep stuff.

Last edited:

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Funny part is, in the Video those are Letourneau Westinghouse scraper bowls, not Cat built. Let-Westinghouse (Wabco) built most of them, Cat built a few, and Euclid built some of them. All were interchangeable. If you look at the Hitch, it was all built with the Letourneau pattern with 4 bolted plugs to connect to the hitch. The 4 wheel tractor was a necessity to connect to the scraper after being dropped by parachute separately from a C-141.

squid_wood777

Occupation
Plant Operator
Dont know if i was just hearing things but as the bowl went past the camera i "thought" i heard some air being used for opening or closing something.?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Dont know if i was just hearing things but as the bowl went past the camera i "thought" i heard some air being used for opening or closing something.?
The machines I worked with had the Michigan tractors, I don't recall air being used for anything other than brakes.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Do not think they had Pan brakes either, wonder if someone plumbed something else in?
They did have brakes on the rear axle, I think they were the LeT-Westinghouse air disc type. I could be wrong, we never worried too much about the brakes.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Thats the clip i tried to upload.Thanks mate well done.I bet if Cat still made these, say in this size and a large one and maybe twin powered they would still sell well.We seem to have gone backwards on scrapers,at least in the size.
When you watch the socal vids with all those 57s tearing down the mountains you have to wonder how some 666s or big twin bowled Euclids,(if they still made them and what a shame they dont coz they would eat those huge hills)would go.Im sure a 57 with another bowl and motor would work well.
The 666 and 660 and one of the 830s in a bigger size with their 4 wheel tractors would be alot more stable on the steep stuff.

Somewhere here I have a Wabco brochure from the late 60's with a 4 wheel tractor and a 32 yard electric controlled bowl and a 1710 Cummins (YUK) engine that could be run as a double or even triple bowl machine. I'll look for it and try to put up a pic or 2.

StanRUS

Corona Clay Co has a 830M with dozer, Cat 29 cable unit. Used in the 80s to pull Cat 60 cable scraper and Southwest cable ripper. POS ride with that combo! No lack of power @ 430HP. Basically 824 with operater and controls facing engine. Don't remember 834 trans-drop box. Steel clutch piston rings instead of teflon type. Steering valve off scraper? Air brakes on 830M. Collectors, make an offer > scrape iron price.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Corona Clay Co has a 830M with dozer, Cat 29 cable unit. Used in the 80s to pull Cat 60 cable scraper and Southwest cable ripper. POS ride with that combo! No lack of power @ 430HP. Basically 824 with operater and controls facing engine. Don't remember 834 trans-drop box. Steel clutch piston rings instead of teflon type. Steering valve off scraper? Air brakes on 830M. Collectors, make an offer > scrape iron price.

Where is it at? Might be able to find it a permanent home at Santa Margarita.