1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good old Iron versus new stuff

Discussion in 'Scrapers' started by squid_wood777, Aug 9, 2018.

1. squid_wood777

squid_wood777 Well-Known Member

Plant Operator
    Here,s some more. 20190412_114943.jpg 20190410_130947.jpg 20190412_101254.jpg 20190412_101318.jpg

2. StanRUS

StanRUS Senior Member

WTF, old cutting edges on the side of bowl. Agreed, cheap wear plates but looks like sh$t, IMO>
    squid, follow your employer on Facebook so you'll know what is going, LOL

DB2 likes this.
  3. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    As soon as you said K19 Cummins, I knew this was a Piacentini machine. Got to spend a Day or so with Kim a few years back, talking about the Wabcats and a few other machines.

4. squid_wood777

Plant Operator
    No more rebuilds,from now on apparently the old 33D bowls get a G primemover put on them,even Piacentini,s are running out of 33D parts.Be interesting to see how they go,there,s been a few companies over here that have done it before.My only concern is how much rougher will they be to operate,i,m not a big fan of G,s for this reason?Pity they did,nt rebuild a E and try that first,but they know what they,re doing,Piacentini,s know about scraper,s they,ve made their own e.g 51E Elevator and the famous.Wabcat,a 51B primemover with a Wabco 333 r send,both are still going with the Wabcat,s having big hours on them.Loved Scraper,s from the first time i set eyes on one at about 8 yrs old,so there,s no one better for me to work for that,s for sure.Talking to a fitter who works out of the main yard in Picton and he told me they have mainly 57E,s and are building up on 57G,s,all the old 57B,s are gone,they have 10 working 39,s,a few 37,s 33,s 51,s and a few smaller one,s,but rough estimate is well over 80 making them the biggest privately owned fleet not only in Oz but the southern hemisphere.I know Lendlease like to brag that they are the largest fleet down here,but its not true.

bigrus likes this.
  5. squid_wood777

Plant Operator
    Dont know why it got a K19,but it goes hard.The first rebuild got a 3408,maybe they found the last one they had and thought this was a good chance to use it.Next one,s arriving in the next few week,s so we,ll, see what that,s got in it.Would love to spend a day at Picton with Colin or Brad Kim or the 3 of them talking Scraper,s,would be the best day.

6. squid_wood777

Plant Operator
    Dont usually look at that Stan,but i,ll check it and see what you mean mate.

7. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    I would love to come down your way and hang out with them for a few days, I know riding with an Aussie in a US rental car is not always a good idea. :D Maybe I can do better in Aus.

bigrus likes this.
  8. squid_wood777

Plant Operator
    Haha us Aussie,s can take abit and it would be a excellent day i,d say visiting the Piacentini,s.

RZucker likes this.
  9. squid_wood777

Plant Operator
    Had a look Stan,best you tell me what you seen coz i could,nt find much but i,m new to this so i was probably looking in the wrong place mate.

10. StanRUS

StanRUS Senior Member

11. squid_wood777

Plant Operator
    Yes Stan i knew what you meant about the side of the bowl and i know it might,nt look the best,but it,s fairly abrasive sand they are in and i guess their thinking more about that than looks.
    I was talking about what you had spied on their facebook site.I had a look and like i said i,m knew to it and may not have checked it all out.How about telling me what i,m looking for and i,ll have another go.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  12. squid_wood777

Plant Operator
    Are you talking about the big float they,ve built Stan?Seem,s they have the capability to build just about anything.They have picked up a few jobs in the ironore mines up in the Pilbara for Rio tinto and BHP,so no doubt they would have more than likely already brought or are thinking about buying a float or two.Someone told me a overseas company had brought a few,but Piacentini,s dont say who and how many,they dont say anything over here anyway.

13. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

I understand using the old edges but at least try and make it look like something.

14. squid_wood777

Plant Operator
    Only thing i can think of is they were on there long ago before she hit the graveyard and they,ve forgot to remove them,but i dont really give a toss about them to be honest,im more impressed by how it goes,very good indeed,how much work they put into it,a huge amount and how comfortable i am sitting in the cab operating a machine that,s like new.Won,t even think about that part of the bowl.

RZucker and DB2 like this.
  15. DB2

DB2 Senior Member

True enough they’re going to wear off anyway. Truly a fine rebuild in all other areas.

RZucker and bigrus like this.
  16. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Anybody else notice the crawler rails being used as elevator chain?
    As far as the "wear plates" that doesn't bother me. As long as the "up front" part is up to snuff. Seen a few Cat dealer Rebuilds... and some of that stuff got missed.

17. squid_wood777

Plant Operator
    D4 chains,they use them on the 51elevators too.Must be stronger and last longer i guess.

18. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Sealed and lubed pins will last longer, saw the results of D-3 rails used as elevator chain years ago, unfortunately the links wanted to spread out and leak. They may have been a bit light for a 333 Wabco.

Brainzie likes this.