• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

Crummy

Not service truck project related, well kind of- "Kenworth project done first"
I'd like to pop the guy in the nose that designed the rocker panels on the split fender T800. The passenger side no problem zip-zip-zip it's off. Drivers side not so much- it's 3" longer and you have to pull the fender to get to ONE of the itty-bitty fasteners! Doing this exhaust isn't fun to start with.
DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0007.JPG

Crummy

The FedWrex delivery guy I've had for years always gets curious when he starts delivering a lot of stuff & he's a gearhead- does all his own work on his big bread vans himself. "Whatcha got going on in there?"
DSCF0002.JPG
At least the KW pile is getting smaller. The service truck pile is pretty big & getting bigger. All the paint showed up yesterday so no excuses there anymore. I scored a pair of Alcoa polished fronts this weekend, those BUDD's are getting harder & harder to find.

Last edited:

Crummy

I ran into a guy I've known for 30+ years at the NAPA this afternoon that has a local equipment/truck shop. We got to catching up & he asked what I was up to so I ran through it....his eyes got big- he's getting out of doing mobile work the first of the year due to age/health but is keeping his shop going and is looking for someone to do his customers mobile work. We will see how that works out, I did like the hourly number he's been charging though. He was stoked that I had some dealer level stuff to work with as where we are at to get to a dealer is a pretty good trip & a hefty bridge toll.

I'd better get off my rear and get this service truck put back together. Finish the A/C rebuild in the Kenworth tomorrow, exhaust & seat when those parts get here & then it's off to the races.

Maybe this change is going to work out after all. Wouldn't that be nice.

Crummy

My favorite delivery guy dropped off the mufflers for the Kenworth yesterday and was complaining about how one of his rigs is really down on power throwing a MAP sensor DTC and he's taken it to one of the bigger local diesel shops 3x so far to be "fixed" & every time it's come back with the same problem. What's up with that? I thought if you charged someone to fix something you fixed it, or something like that. I said bring it by & I'd hook it up to see what's what.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
A fault that is Related to a MAP but is in essence NOT the actual sensor will throw the code. Same on autos and the old DDEC systems when I was in the garage. Have to be careful as that shop was 'Probably' throwing parts at it to make it go away, a glitch in the circuit, a bad connection in a harness, a blown gasket giving a false low indication of boost vs demand or another component in the system dumping intake air, almost as much of anything other than the sensor in that circuit can do this.

Crummy

A fault that is Related to a MAP but is in essence NOT the actual sensor will throw the code. Same on autos and the old DDEC systems when I was in the garage. Have to be careful as that shop was 'Probably' throwing parts at it to make it go away, a glitch in the circuit, a bad connection in a harness, a blown gasket giving a false low indication of boost vs demand or another component in the system dumping intake air, almost as much of anything other than the sensor in that circuit can do this.
That's kind of what I told him. Maybe best plan is to spend some time and track down the real problem rather that driving it through the parts store and clearing the DTC again.

Crummy

OK, how about some ideas?
That gate thingy is giving me fits on what to do with it. Should I-
  1. Keep it. It adds to security a little, but doesn't do anything about road spray & dust getting in there. Going to be a PITA to repaint it and get it working smooth.
  2. Cut it out and leave the back open. Not too much big $ (tools) going in the covered area other than the welder. Mostly hoses, 5-gal buckets, etc.
  3. I thought about using some aluminum plate like equipment vandal guards. Kind of a hassle in the field, but would be easy to put up when not in use & leaves the opening totally clear.
  4. Fab up a door. Problem I see there is #1 it would be in the way when it's open and #2 after a few trips off-highway unless it was built like a bank vault door it would probably get torn off in a fit of rage because it wouldn't open/close.
image2[405].JPG

redneckracin

Occupation
Civil Engineer
Id atleast junk it. It would be nice to have that mostly dry and out of the backdraft from behind the truck.

gtermini

I junk that thing too. Guaranteed to always be in the way. That bed looks like it could stand to have one of the standard half height tailgates like a reg service body, just to keep stuff from rolling out.

On a side note, that background looks awfully close by to my neck of the woods. Near Albany, south valley?

Crummy

On a side note, that background looks awfully close by to my neck of the woods. Near Albany, south valley?
That's where it came from originally- Albany. The picture is one they sent me when we were doing the deal.

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
I would scrap it and get a custom cover with heavy boat vinyl made up for a couple hundred bucks to keep the weather out. Something easy to flip up and over then drop back down when you're done.

Crummy

I would scrap it and get a custom cover with heavy boat vinyl made up for a couple hundred bucks to keep the weather out. Something easy to flip up and over then drop back down when you're done.
Perfect. Some big Murphy fasteners like a winter front on a truck. Done.

Crummy

Got the service truck in the shop today and started on the cab roof paint. Helpful tip for today- DON'T get an IH crew cab. The seams leak. Grind everything out, soak in rust treatment, seam sealer, paint. I hate doing this much paint sanding in the shop but it's raining. Once I get the cab sealed up & painted I can do the box out back.
DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0003.JPG

Called the local tarp shop that did my trucking tarps- $67.50 in any color they have. Winner.

hvy 1ton

I was going to put a plug in for Colby Canvas just so i can talk about a hillbilly from Missouri trying to 411 Colby Canvas. I'm still kicking myself for not getting my phone out and recording this exchange.

I need the number for Colby Canvas.
What business are you looking for in Colby, Kansas?
I need the number for Colby Canvas in Colby, Kansas.
Sir, I don't understand what you need.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Hate to say I would opt to a heavy canvass tarp made up by the closest tarp shop to fit, slide rod at the top, snap hooks corners of bottom.

Crummy

I shot the paint of the cab roof this morning. I'll pass a couple of things along since I was using a new to me tool & paint product-

I got an LVLP gun to try out on this project. A-W-E-S-O-M-E! Everybody needs one. Shot a 1/3 gallon of paint and no overspray cloud in the shop! I mean literally NONE! I probably should have shot a coat on a wheelbarrow and read the directions or something before I did the roof of the truck as there is a pretty steep learning curve to get it to do what you want.

I did a lot of research into paint for this project as I wanted a single step that could be applied at lower temperatures and higher humidity. I ended up getting Rust-Oleum 1500 System fleet paint. This stuff can be applied from 32*-107* with the temp/humidity spread being just greater than 3*, and it says it's ready for service in 4 hours! So far I really like it. It's not legal to use in California and a couple of other states, so I figure it must be good.

DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG

Everyone have a Merry Christmas!

ETER

Crummy that cab roof repair looks top shelf! I am pretty sure it will hold up much better than the original. Yesterday was paint day for me also. :mad:(I know plenty of good painters, I am not one of them...can't even spell HVLP). I have been fighting the corrosion / rust issues also for about 3-4 months now. I now know why people buy service trucks already spec'd and built.
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel as far as the "build part", and am looking forward to the "set-up" part of the endeavor!
Regards, Bob
DSC05645.JPG DSC05646.JPG DSC05666.JPG DSC05667.JPG