• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
In 'The Day' I cannot tell you how many guys asked for Cummins Button changes, stingers, any way around the max RPM on engines. I would adjust or eliminate the Aneroid mechanism/adjustment on SOME engines, would even drill out the 'ball' and remove a few thou of shims on a PT throttle, would swap injector sizes for DD's and set the governor on old Macks a 'Taste' high but never would I give as noted "Billy Bigrigger": any form or fashion of bump ups.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I also cringed every time a 'Herder' would wander into the shop spewing "I ain't got no power". Ask if the engine was not making high rpm or if the truck was having trouble making hills, always No as response. So asked what they meant, "Need more RPMs as can't hit 70mph", Damn truck gots no power". Could not relate Speed is NOT Power. Morons.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
"Need more RPMs as can't hit 70mph", Damn truck gots no power". Could not relate Speed is NOT Power.

The fastest I've ever gone is 65 and that is plenty fast enough. Just think about all those shafts spinning, those tires whizzing along after they have been through who-knows-what, and how long it takes the brakes to bring that whole train to a stop if anything should go wrong. Much happier having a speed limiter or governor around that speed so I don't get complacent. Oh yes and smokey and his ticket book.

Crummy

I'm really starting to dislike this T444e/7.3 & International 4700. I think it may have been designed by a dyslexic monkey. Still having problems cold start & found burnt connector at that stupid valve cover gasket slash electrical connector. Got a kit (with glow plugs while I'm in there) and went out this AM to whip it out. What a f'n nightmare! I'm still not done with it. I'll take the 3406e any day- I could replace 8 injectors, rebuild the Jake, and run the overhead in the time it's taking me to do this.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Worked a couple leasing companies, drivers for the customers were the worst. They wanted Cadillac trucks for their company's squealing Jeffersons($.05s), they were the most likely to write up EVERY trip for lack of power as the trucks rented were very 'Frugal' and "SLOW" being set to never challenge highways maximum speeds! Bunches of twits and truck herding Billy Bigriggers.

Crummy

Says it all, 2.5 million horsepower- and fruit punch!

CAUTION! STRONG LANGUAGE PARENTAL GUIDANCE ADVISED!

Last edited:

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
I'm really starting to dislike this T444e/7.3 & International 4700. I think it may have been designed by a dyslexic monkey. Still having problems cold start & found burnt
connectoror at that stupid valve cover gasket slash electrical connector. Got a kit (with glow plugs while I'm in there) and went out this AM to whip it out. What a f'n nightmare! I'm still not done with it. I'll take the 3406e any day- I could replace 8 injectors, rebuild the Jake, and run the overhead in the time it's taking me to do this.

I feel your pain, I've got an E350 that needs glow plugs, have the plugs just been putting it off, my back hurts just thinking about it! It's not starting worth $hit as of late even plugged in for an hour, I've probably lost another plug... It's been -25c which doesn't help, do have 0w40 in it. Whoever decided to produce a direct injected engine that won't start even above freezing without glow plugs was a complete moron! And they replaced the DT408 in the corn binders with this junk!

I happen to have a 4700 with DT408 (great little screamer!) One day will pull my 12ft enclosed body off the E350 and stick it on the binder, hopefully soon. Your thread is getting me excited to get after it!

The ford van has tested my patience since day one, can't pack all I want/need, breaking springs, 7.3 with no low-end balls, turbo doesn't light till 2 grand, gets horrendous milage, because I drive it like a screaming Jimmy, pi$$ed off, hold her to the rug!

But I fell in love with the enclosed heated service body so I've put up with it... Sounds like a girl I used to date! Haha!

Crummy

I can't believe all the stuff I've had to take apart just to get the valve covers off- compressor, alternator, computer...
I can understand on a pickup, but good grief it's a tilt hood medium duty.

Crummy

Finished up the wiring & glow plugs yesterday, charged the battery's all the way up last night. Went out this morning 28 degrees should fire right off, 'wait to start' was on the right amount of time, hit the start button......
This thing is really starting to **** me off

First wont fire up, clean all harness electrical connections...
Starts fine & runs PERFECT for a week or so, cold engine warm up idle speeds right, smooth as silk, no codes, run all the diagnostic tests everything is A-OK...
Then it sits while I'm painting...
Back to having to plug it in for 30min to start, runs a little rough...
Find a wire that looks burnt R&R harness & glow plugs...
That wasn't it...
Start from the ignition switch & work my way out now

Oh yeah, hooked up the tablet/Nexiq to see what the ECU is seeing for cold temps- and it was doing a gigantic windows update & now won't recognize the usb link.
Some days I really, really hate technology.

Crummy

Got the stupid tablet connected
Showing 10.8v through the ECM & 6.6v cranking
Hmmmmm....that doesn't seem right

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Is it injecting fuel when it is not starting?

What is the voltage drop across the glow plug solenoid? And how much current are the plugs drawing. The OE ones were notorious for high drop on the Fords at least. I can get a part number for a heavier duty replacement if you want.

Did you verify the ECM voltage with a meter?

Crummy

Crummy

Voltages good, resistances good, relay is good, grounds good, wiring good, sensors good...
All KOEO tests OK
Relay on time not good for the temp so I "helped" it out a little- 60 sec. instead of the 20 sec. it was doing by itself
Fired up, ran like **** until it warmed up, turn off & restart smooth no misses. Ran all the KOER diag. = nothing.
At 169 coolant temp it went to high idle after 5 min & it shouldn't do that.
No EBPV
Cold start & warm up in the ECM gone haywire? Can't see what it's doing there with ServiceMaxx or MD32 "Not dealer level serviceable".
I'll leave it plugged in tonight & see what it does tomorrow morning.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Voltages good, resistances good, relay is good, grounds good, wiring good, sensors good...
All KOEO tests OK
Relay on time not good for the temp so I "helped" it out a little- 60 sec. instead of the 20 sec. it was doing by itself
Fired up, ran like **** until it warmed up, turn off & restart smooth no misses. Ran all the KOER diag. = nothing.
At 169 coolant temp it went to high idle after 5 min & it shouldn't do that.
No EBPV
Cold start & warm up in the ECM gone haywire? Can't see what it's doing there with ServiceMaxx or MD32 "Not dealer level serviceable".
I'll leave it plugged in tonight & see what it does tomorrow morning.

I thought high idle was based on intake air temp, not coolant temp....

It's one of those powerstroke things....

Crummy

Somewhere l picked up 158 deg water temp on these, can't remember where
I had a no start on the Cat once & it took longer to hook up ET than find the problem.
This bites.