• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Full Circle- Back to where I started (almost)

youngunbd

I swear I saw that truck listed on CL for a while, I remember the enclosed bed. Good mobile parts room you got there!

Build the truck you want! I am jealous of the crew cab some days thats for sure

Crummy

I swear I saw that truck listed on CL for a while, I remember the enclosed bed. Good mobile parts room you got there!

Build the truck you want! I am jealous of the crew cab some days thats for sure
You probably did- it came out of a farm in Albany. You may see my old wagon running around down there now.

I've got plans for the crew cab now that I've been working on it. I came up with an idea for a little desk & chair, blackout tint the windows, storage, etc. Plus having lived out of a sleeper I'm taking all that stuff out of the KW- inverter, coffee maker, microwave (maybe), and get an air mattress. If it is ready & I get in on the Wyoming breakdown job this winter I'm sure I'll be liking the lid & big cab.

Crummy

I had a cancellation yesterday so I got started for real. After some farting around and chin scratching I decided get the cab squared away first, though I did take the big hose reels off the back- looks better already.
DSCF0008.JPG

Crummy

Took the seats & floor mats out. Yuk. The antenna for the AM/FM was leaking on the passenger side & made a bit of a mess. Got that sealed up, some rust damage but nothing that can't be fixed.
DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0007.JPG

Last edited:

Crummy

I decided the bench front seat isn't going back in- I'm taking my (almost new) really nice air-ride out of the KW and getting a passenger non air-ride. That adds walk through to the back also. If things go the way I want I'll be spending some time on the road might as well be a comfortable as possible.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Why is it old mechanics trucks wiring is abused to beat hell? Have seen that in many shops.

Crummy

Sloppy wiring drives me nuts. I try to do stuff so the next guy doesn't go "WTF is this mess?". I've even got a Brady wire marker & label the wires. Someone, somewhere, sometime, has thanked me for that.
A little better now.
DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Why is it old mechanics trucks wiring is abused to beat hell? Have seen that in many shops.

Having had a truck that came from a dealer, I can only guess that they don't get paid to make changes or repairs. That or they do a bush fix and never go back to repair it properly. I'm a stickler on wiring, correct gauge, all tied up, conduit, fuses or relays etc. I don't like doing it to start with so I sure as heck don't want to do it twice!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Sloppy wiring drives me nuts. I try to do stuff so the next guy doesn't go "WTF is this mess?". I've even got a Brady wire marker & label the wires. Someone, somewhere, sometime, has thanked me for that.
A little better now. View attachment 174086

WTH is that Scotchlok doing in the center of the picture then??? I don't think I ever used one of those without regretting it. Straight in the trash.

Crummy

WTH is that Scotchlok doing in the center of the picture then??? I don't think I ever used one of those without regretting it. Straight in the trash.
Not me- the line that was tapped off it is redone right. I should pull it off & seal the wire up though.

crane operator

I thought it looked like a pretty neat wiring job before fixing, now it looks like its ready for a engineering room. I know what dmiller is saying about mechanics trucks and their wiring, except I have a crane that has that issue. It's got wires running in it everywhere. Half of them aren't being used, the 1/2 that are, aren't factory. I have it kind of working, except no dash interior lights (I can see oil pressure in the reflection of the headlights), and for some reason, the front right turn signal comes on when I hit the brakes. Fortunately we don't travel much at night, and I'm so slow, I rarely use the brakes.

I really like the clean up on the cab, next you'll be swapping the aluminum rims and the chrome stacks from the kenworth.....maybe some air ride to go with the seat? There's a certain satisfaction in fixing something up.

Crummy

.....next you'll be swapping the aluminum rims and the chrome stacks from the kenworth.....
Stupid IH has stud pilot wheels/studs & hub pilot hubs! At least they are outboard drums.
My buddy said I'd be ahead and less work taking 2 axles off the Kenworth, shorten, and day-cab it & putting the box on and then scrap the Cornbinder. He probably has a point, but I'm not very smart.

crane operator

My buddy said I'd be ahead and less work taking 2 axles off the Kenworth, shorten, and day-cab it & putting the box on and then scrap the Cornbinder. He probably has a point, but I'm not very smart

I actually had that thought too, but I wasn't going to suggest it.......You could even leave the sleeper for your office/ bunk, but you didn't hear that from me. Plus it would ride nice, have big power. Probably has APU unit for some 110 tools. Wait, we're fixing the international.

Quiet well sealed cab that doesn't sound like you're being drug down the road in a tin can (remember I own a international 8100- so I know their cabs:)), and did I say the kenworth would ride nice? Warm sleeper cab that wouldn't let in that wyoming wind and snow.........

If you leave the sleeper on, you wouldn't probably have to shorten much, just pull the front drive and the cheater, and a new driveline.... Or even have the gap between the utility bed and the sleeper, for the big welder and compressor. Big knuckleboom crane? Possibilities are endless here, don't sell the kenworth yet!

keep having fun.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I actually had that thought too, but I wasn't going to suggest it.......You could even leave the sleeper for your office/ bunk, but you didn't hear that from me. Plus it would ride nice, have big power. Probably has APU unit for some 110 tools. Wait, we're fixing the international.

Quiet well sealed cab that doesn't sound like you're being drug down the road in a tin can (remember I own a international 8100- so I know their cabs:)), and did I say the kenworth would ride nice? Warm sleeper cab that wouldn't let in that wyoming wind and snow.........

If you leave the sleeper on, you wouldn't probably have to shorten much, just pull the front drive and the cheater, and a new driveline.... Or even have the gap between the utility bed and the sleeper, for the big welder and compressor. Big knuckleboom crane? Possibilities are endless here, don't sell the kenworth yet!

keep having fun.

Sounds about like what I'm kicking around. Can't seem to find what I like so I may just bite the bullet and build my own.

Crummy

Not too much today. Cleaned up the rust, treated, & primed the floor & covers. Backed it out onto the gravel & cleaned the top of the trans & such so improvise a seat. Pretty sketchy using a chair with wheels.
DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG
I'd do the KW in a second as I really like that truck but it would be a sin to cut it up. I'd be better off to sell it & take some of the cash and buy something else. Nothing that requires IFTA, drug testing, etc. to cross state lines. I'm done with that.

mitch504

If you want to cross state lines in that IH, you'll need IFTA and apportioned plates, etc. CDL starts at 26,000, all that other stuff starts at 10,000lbs GVWR. Some states won't bother you, some will. SC won't notice you, NC will park an f350 pulling a welder until it's all straight, and a driver with a class A shows up, if the trailer is over 10,000.

I'm

Crummy

If you want to cross state lines in that IH, you'll need IFTA and apportioned plates, etc. CDL starts at 26,000, all that other stuff starts at 10,000lbs GVWR. Some states won't bother you, some will. SC won't notice you, NC will park an f350 pulling a welder until it's all straight, and a driver with a class A shows up, if the trailer is over 10,000.

I'm
Pretty sure no IRP or IFTA 2 axles and under 26k
The drug testing is an easy one for them. When I got my L1 inspection last June during their "Blitz Week" he asked for proof I was enrolled in a consortium. One of the locals here got hit with that- $7,000 fine and an on-site audit.
I'm going to put it on my prorate anyway, I don't have to do the ridiculous emissions testing here if I do that.