• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Euclid

emmett518

That
This is just like the first Euclid I ever drove, way back in 1969 when I was just 18. I was shown how to drive it in about 10 minutes, then was told to spend the rest of the shift hauling slag to the dump pile. Alloy mill safety was not exactly no 1 priority back in those days.
Jeff
That sounds like the intro to one of those Shake Hands with Danger vignettes.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That

That sounds like the intro to one of those Shake Hands with Danger vignettes.
Well that was better training than some got back in the day! Sometimes it was simply here's the starter button and this makes the box go up. Take it out back and play with it a bit then head to the pit and start hauling stone!

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
All Haul trucks here in Canada have heated boxes with exhaust in the boxes. Coal was bad for freezing in box in front corners once it started to freeze one would need a hoe to clean it out.

Hank R

Occupation
I talked with Rollo a few minutes ago he worked at the mine and took the picture He is fairly sure it was a R-15 as it hauled 13 to 15 tons all the time for 2 years. it had a GN Diesel 4 71 engine and no hold back on a down grade. Ivan McKay was the owner of these 3 trucks and were new ones when he started.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Thanks. I guess you could get either a DD or Cummins. Or, maybe ours had been repowered?
I talked with Rollo a few minutes ago he worked at the mine and took the picture He is fairly sure it was a R-15 as it hauled 13 to 15 tons all the time for 2 years. it had a GN Diesel 4 71 engine and no hold back on a down grade. Ivan McKay was the owner of these 3 trucks and were new ones when he started.

Hank R

Occupation
I would think that when first came out GM power and latter on in production there were upgrades in power tires etc. But my friend is 94 still has a good mind for most things.

Old Doug

Euclids were the truck were you could fill out 2 pages in a note book on what was broken or worn out on it but it was steal being used every day. One good thing about learning to drive a old Euclid in a hour you could figure out what all the controls did i ran a newer cat and i didnt know every thing about it after several moths.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Why is there a passenger side door & seat ?
Operator Trainer seat is what they are generally used for, when doing new operator instruction or check rides.

Mildly amusing story. In Africa all the employees were given 1 month annual leave that they could use to return to their home village. Often this could be at the other end of the country and involved a lot of time sitting under trees waiting for transport. Any operator who came back after annual leave was put with an instructor for as many shifts as it needed to get them “re-trained” to operate a machine again.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have a booklet that shows all the Euclids sold from 1936 up to late 1960's. Some were even sold with Buda engines. And there were some built with Hall Scott and Waukesha Butane engines. Not to forget the 6-110 Detroits! Also just noticed some were twin engine trucks too and one noted as electric, no idea how that worked!

There are around 30 pages of this info was wondering if there is some good place to scan and upload it.

Also have a brochure from, I believe, 1969 for a R-105 truck with articulated steering and eight wheel drive which could be had with either a 12V-149T or a 16V-71t engine! Along with a few other Euclids of that vintage!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Back in those days everyone carried a lunch box, Plus cab was built to use on other vehicles.
But real reason is you need a passenger seat for the lunch box.
Absolutely you do, and here’s a (very expensive) cautionary tale to illustrate why.

Almost brand-new 797 truck. Less than 500 hours IIRC. Operator is travelling loaded to the waste dump and decides he’s feeling a bit peckish but his lunch box is on the floor in front of the passenger seat, not on the seat itself. So he reaches over the centre (transmission shift) console to try to grab a snack from his box, taking his eyes off the road as he did so.

Well unfortunately for him the road was curving to the left, and as a result of failing to follow the curve he crossed over to the right side of the road and made contact with the berm at a speed of somewhere around 25mph. Imagine if you will, a truck loaded to (and maybe well beyond) the Max Rated GVW of 595 tonnes going from 25mph to a dead stop in a distance of about 15 feet.......

The deceleration was so fast that part of the load went clean over the headache rack and landed on the ground in front of the truck. It sheared all the bolts and wiped the LH front leg clean off the chassis and tore off the RH side front wheel by ripping the hub apart through the wheel bearings.

According to the operator “the steering failed”. Yeah, right.

upload_2022-4-8_0-42-24.png
upload_2022-4-8_0-42-57.png
upload_2022-4-8_0-44-22.png
upload_2022-4-8_0-45-6.png