• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Euclid

Pony

What's with the front tire chains Nige?
They seem to smooth to be for traction, they look like they are armouring the tyre the way they go way up the sidewall.
So I'm guessing it's for protection, but against what?

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
When I was a kid Eucs were the only haul trucks I ever saw. I grew up in the 60s and 70s and that's when the interstate highways were being built around here, the lime green Eucs with screaming Detroits were the only trucks used. I remember a trip to Westchester County one time and we passed through an area where there was a major road project underway and we had to share a stretch of road with the Eucs moving material. What an awesome sight for me!!! I was standing up in the back seat the whole time through there!

There's a stone quarry about 12 miles from my house and they had Detroit powered Eucs there up until the late 90s. When the conditions were right you could hear those trucks climbing up the hill coming out of the quarry to the crusher!! I don't remember if they were 12V or 16V71. Screamers!!

I have a paperback book called the "Euclid Hauler Handbook, Edition 15". It was printed in about 1982. This reference book shows all the, then current, Euclid models, all the specifications for each model, and also has a listing with basic specs, of every Euclid machine ever built. It was a handy reference back in the day. I used to have an earlier edition, I believe it was from the early 60's, but it has disappeared somewhere. I remember a salesman gave me the book back when we were buying rock trucks for my employer. Does anyone else have one of these?
Jeff

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I have a paperback book called the "Euclid Hauler Handbook, Edition 15". It was printed in about 1982. This reference book shows all the, then current, Euclid models, all the specifications for each model, and also has a listing with basic specs, of every Euclid machine ever built. It was a handy reference back in the day. I used to have an earlier edition, I believe it was from the early 60's, but it has disappeared somewhere. I remember a salesman gave me the book back when we were buying rock trucks for my employer. Does anyone else have one of these?
Jeff
Be nice if you could scan that in for historical keeping.
Or someone else here maybe could step up and do it.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
What's with the front tire chains Nige?
They seem to smooth to be for traction, they look like they are armouring the tyre the way they go way up the sidewall.
So I'm guessing it's for protection, but against what?
Your front tires are always into the muck pile in the quarry or mine. They take the most abuse as well. If you don't keep the work area clear, shot rock can be really sharp. I was told once that you should never dig too deep into the face in these situations, and once you get the bucket started, to just curl back and back out. A spade bucket will fill easier than a straight edge. I have always noticed that most hard rock mining loaders have smooth tires.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Be nice if you could scan that in for historical keeping.
Or someone else here maybe could step up and do it.
That would be nice to do, but it would be quite a chore, as it has 340 pages, not counting the front and back covers.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Hank R: Thanks. Neat old toy model. The only "Dinky" I had was an old Landrover, with a 2-wheel trailer. I do remember getting a smaller, Matchbox Euclid dump truck though. It was not the one that had tandem rear axles, just a single rear with duals. I think the duals were actually made of metal, not rubber or plastic.
Jeff

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I have a handful of some old Euclid Sale Brochures. Attached is one for the 74TD's like we had at the quarry shortly after I started there in 1968. They were originally at a sister quarry near by. I did lots of work on them, we had three of them along with other haul trucks.Euc 74TD1.jpg Euc 74TD2.jpg Euc 74TD3.jpg

Hank R

Occupation
Retired Truck driver and School bus driver
Kshansen were them old Eucs a fairly reliable truck when new. I know they were everywhere, or just not much else to buy??

When did they remove Pioneer Pete from the trucks?/
42-jpg.256307

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
I have a handful of some old Euclid Sale Brochures. Attached is one for the 74TD's like we had at the quarry shortly after I started there in 1968. They were originally at a sister quarry near by. I did lots of work on them, we had three of them along with other haul trucks.View attachment 256332 View attachment 256333 View attachment 256334
This is just like the first Euclid I ever drove, way back in 1969 when I was just 18. I was shown how to drive it in about 10 minutes, then was told to spend the rest of the shift hauling slag to the dump pile. Alloy mill safety was not exactly no 1 priority back in those days.
Jeff

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Kshansen were them old Eucs a fairly reliable truck when new. I know they were everywhere, or just not much else to buy??

I would say if they were given some basic maintenance they were reliable if lacking in some creature comforts operators today feel they need like AC and stereo sound! Actually with the independent front coil suspension they rode pretty smooth.

The sound of the 12V71 when dumping was an acquired taste for some. See the exhaust went through the frame of the dump body so with box down but when the load was being dumped the exhaust was wide open and just behind the cab with little to no sound deadening. Plus in warm weather with no AC it was even worse!