• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Euclid

mekanik

I was working on a Letourneau log stacker. I was working on the engine a Cummins KT series.
The company mechanic was showing me some of the bolts that held it together. Letourneau
uses a fine double pitch thread system. If you need a bolt you had to buy it from Letourneau.
If I remember correctly 25 years ago a 5/8x2 bolt was over $100.

Truck Shop

This is my favourite photo of a Letourneau loader.
L1850, Radomiro Tomic copper mine, Chile. Around about the 2000 time-frame IIRC. I just happened to be on site the day it fell apart and have a load of close-up photos that explain exactly why it happened.

View attachment 256251

The only thing better than a truck or train wreck is Big Front Loader Wreck.:) That's how a possible bad
design shows it's face.:p

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
And here is the piece-de-resistance - or didn't resist hard enough as the case may be. A badly cleaned up weld, hard to see with all the grease but when it was cleaned off it was as clear as day, right on top of the upper main frame plate. Started a high-cycle fatigue crack and eventually she decided she'd had enough and just unzipped herself.

upload_2022-4-1_2-18-40.png
upload_2022-4-1_2-21-50.png

Truck Shop

R (3).jpg Well this brand has a problem also in same area. Friend who owns a machine fab shop has repaired three.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
When I was a kid Eucs were the only haul trucks I ever saw. I grew up in the 60s and 70s and that's when the interstate highways were being built around here, the lime green Eucs with screaming Detroits were the only trucks used. I remember a trip to Westchester County one time and we passed through an area where there was a major road project underway and we had to share a stretch of road with the Eucs moving material. What an awesome sight for me!!! I was standing up in the back seat the whole time through there!

There's a stone quarry about 12 miles from my house and they had Detroit powered Eucs there up until the late 90s. When the conditions were right you could hear those trucks climbing up the hill coming out of the quarry to the crusher!! I don't remember if they were 12V or 16V71. Screamers!!