• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Euclid

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I drove this old beast in the early 70 s in a logging camp up coast. Im not if it was an R15 or R22.6/71 power & 5 speed. View attachment 305597
When I started at the quarry in 1968 they used a couple of those for stripping as the quarry was just being opened at this location. Have to wonder what the guys who ran those would think about the trucks they have to run these days what with air conditioning and stereo radios!

HATCHEQUIP

little dust rubbing chimp a clip on the ear

When I started at the quarry in 1968 they used a couple of those for stripping as the quarry was just being opened at this location. Have to wonder what the guys who ran those would think about the trucks they have to run these days what with air conditioning and stereo radios!
Or what the 3rd pedal in the floor was and dont forget the armstrong steering

skyking1

That whole concept of "only turn the wheel when you are moving" got lost.
When you are backfilling a utility trench behind the sidewalk in a new development, that is how you steer the backhoe on the fresh, soft asphalt.
You could spot the rookies who sit in one spot and turn the wheel, and burn a mark in the pavement. Same guys on forklifts.
Just never spin the wheel young whippersnappers, unless that is the only way.
The same forces that made it impossible without power steering are still there, and they are just beating on the steering gear.

skyking1

My first Jack Russell was a good truck dog. He sat in the seat and stayed out of the way until I pulled into the pit, where I allowed him over in my lap to interact with loader operators, etc.
One time he turned and stepped through the wheel at the wrong time. OOPS!
img_JRT_flying.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
I drove this old beast in the early 70 s in a logging camp up coast. Im not if it was an R15 or R22.6/71 power & 5 speed. View attachment 305597
Just remembered one of those old trucks like that one let me learn that some diesels will run backwards! Driver forgot to shift down before going up ramp and he was too slow on the clutch when engine stalled. Lucky someone who know what to do was close by and had him kill the engine before any real damage was done!

kshansen

Occupation
That was what we called a smooth sided Euc. That was then when they came out with the dry disk on all 4 corners and not those damn wedge brakes.
What's the problem with wedge brakes they work good for a couple months if you are lucky! Actually never had the wedgies on a Euclid but did have them on off highway Mack haul trucks and a few frontend loaders.

Adding hydraulics to an air brake system might not have been the best idea. But some of the Cat loaders and haul trucks with the multi wet disk brakes seemed to work good either the straight hydraulic version or the air over hydraulic ones.

I recall one time test running a 773 Cat after some shifter repair down a straight and level haul road with no load. Wanted to stop and have it go through the gears again. Touched the brakes just a little too hard and the rear end tried to pass the front end.

Last edited:

HATCHEQUIP

When Euc first started using the air over hyd. wet disk they were still using the old big can with a clasp lid same as when these same reservoirs had brake fluid, and yes people would put brake fluid in them. This same setup on the wet disk trucks they finally came out with a kit for them that orficed a line off the return hyd. that went into the top side of the can and then to the other cans then back to tank never had to worry about them getting screwed up after that

kshansen

Occupation
Yea some of the Ca
When Euc first started using the air over hyd. wet disk they were still using the old big can with a clasp lid same as when these same reservoirs had brake fluid, and yes people would put brake fluid in them. This same setup on the wet disk trucks they finally came out with a kit for them that orficed a line off the return hyd. that went into the top side of the can and then to the other cans then back to tank never had to worry about them getting screwed up after that
Some of the Cat loaders were like that I recall, about some models or s/n ranges using 10 weight oil and others using DOT3 brake fluid! I always double checked before topping up any of them.