• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Euclid

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Their design and build.
The centrifugal blower looked like an over grown compressor housing out of a turbocharger the main difference being in place of being driven off the exhaust from the engine it was direct drive off the gear train of the engine. Guess you could compare that to the Paxton which are as I recall belt driven.

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
If you want to see some good videos of the 'Green team' in action, go into youtube
tap in 'wheels at wanaka 2023' look for Euclid and Terex scrapers and bulldozers in that list that comes up.
Wheels at Wanaka is a big boys n toys gathering at wanaka in New Zealand, with everything from D2 to D10. Open to public. And biggest show in the southern hemisphere. Is a video in there of a TC12 and a 82-80 pushing a TS24; 42 cylinders of 71 series all howling.
Im not smart enough to do a link, but heres a still shot of another TC12 they had at the 2019 show, plus a Euclid TDT16, the worlds first twin engine scraper, from 1954, and 70 years later she is still howling

Attachments

• DSCN0696.JPG
    DSCN0696.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0659.JPG
    DSCN0659.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 25

D6 Merv

Occupation
Self employed bulldozing contractor with a D6D D4E
I'd love to make the next show, but 2027 is more likely. Rent a caravan, volunteer, the whole works. Is April a good time for a soft Yankee who hates the hot weather?
yes it happens every 2nd year, so 2025 and 27. Happens at easter. Weather is cool by then; 50 to 70f

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
And here's where it all started - George Armingtons first rear dump truck, the Euclid 1Z "Trac-Truk", released in January 1934, exactly 90 years ago this month.

George had 5 sons and they all went into business with him, when he formed Euclid Inc in 1926.
Arthur, Georges eldest son, steered his father into the earthmoving business, and Euclid's initial production lines were small towed scrapers.

The 1Z truck was a big step up into powered equipment for Euclid - however, taking a sensible decision and not trying to build their own engines too, it utilised a Waukesha engine.
Euclid did produce their own heavy duty rear axle, though.

George Armington Jr was a keen hydraulics designer and soon realised the attractiveness of using hydraulics to operate dump bodies.

The 1Z took advantage of an entirely new 17.5 x 24 heavy construction tire that had just been released. The 1Z could be ordered with single tire with tire tracks, or on (smaller) duals.

The Euclid Trac-Truk is recognised as being truly the worlds first dedicated off-road rear dump truck.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
My son (18 years ago….) likes this Euclid!

Out near Revelstoke on an old placer mining claim. It has since been ‘salvaged’ out. Not shown on photo is a 5’ high stainless extension above the muffler. To move the noise a bit further out & up?
Too bad it didn't have a Detroit like a "proper" Euclid would have!

PeterP9

Occupation
Moving dirt and washing rocks.
Our C-6 (1964) Garwood u-blade, Ateco ripper.

Photo (2013) taken during pushing up/cleaning off highly fractured quartz diorite. Gold will travel deep into 1/4” clay filled fractures so it is necessary to take 8’ of bedrock.
Nice looking Euc!! Sure don't see many Euclid or Terex dozers around.

kshansen

Occupation
Euclid offered the choice of Detroit or Cummins power up until Sept 1953, when GM bought them out.

From that time onward, you could have any engine you wanted in your Euclid - just as long as it was a Detroit!!
Not sure about that as I have a couple sales brochures here, one for R-22 and one for R-35 that I believe are dated 1965 and Cummins is shown as the optional engine in both them.

Just dug a little deeper and the R-50 shows VT-1710-C as available to replace the 16V-71N.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
At the first sand and gravel plant I managed, we had OLD equipment. We had a Euclid C6 cable dozer, and two old Euclid R15's, both with little Cummins engines. The little R15's, had consecutive serial numbers. This was in 81, so I bet the old Euclid machines were from the early to mid 50's, possibly 25 years old at the time. We closed the plant soon after and all those old machines went to the auction.