• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Euclid

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Just picking some brains. Just watched a video on a tc12. Restored machine, cable hoist, twin Detroits. It seems to be 2 machines bolted together, minus the extra tracks. I noticed movement of the 2 hoods, and a gap that seems to run from front to back. Anyone have any experience with these machines?

BluewaterLa

Occupation
Field Service Tech / Semi retired
No personal experience.
My grandfather was a Euclid mechanic back in the day installing Interstate 10 in the south.
Yes they were two dozers bolted together working in sync.
As a young kid all the way into my adult years working on equipment myself I always found it interesting to hear him speak of his experience, especially the euclid dozers.
Before he passed he gave me a key chain with a heavy stamped coin like medallion depicting the euclid dozer.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Yes, a few of the Euclid TC-12's made it to our neck of the woods. They were a huge machine for the era, and a couple were purchased locally for ripping caprock over limestone, to access the softer limestone for road base and building stone. The caprock had to be blasted previously.

The TC-12 had two separate drivetrains and a pivot at the rear between the frames.
Their weak point was their final drives and tracks, they used to chew them out too fast. In fact, the TC-12 would snap track chains under heavy load once the chains got worn.

The Euclid dozer was born right after GM bought up Euclid from the 5 Armington brothers in Sept 1953.
GM wanted to beat Caterpillar at their own game and Cat got a bit of a fright at GM's entry into the earthmover market, so it made Cat sit up and smarten up their game in 1955.

GM were the biggest and wealthiest corporation in the world in the early 1950's and they had the ability to really decimate Cat's market share - but the Euclids and Terexes never made the dent in Cat sales, that GM thought they would.

The Euclid TC-12 appeared first in 1955 and the Euclid C-6 appeared very shortly afterwards. They both used the same drivetrain, it was like the TC-12 was two C-6's joined together - but the TC-12 was actually designed as a stand-alone design, alongside the C-6 being designed at the same time.

They just used a lot of common components, such as engine and drivetrain. GM management was intent on using their massive design studio to put "styling" into their earthmover product line - but that "styling" effort, especially on the nose of the early Euclids, made for a weak hardnose, so they had to do major redesign work on the nose of the early Euclid tractors.

The TC-12 sold slowly, mainly due to its huge weight and size, and it morphed into the Euclid 82-80 in 1966, before GM had to change the product name to Terex (and Terex 82-80), thanks to a U.S. Govt anti-trust lawsuit.

Once the D9H appeared, it was a match for the TC-12/Terex 82-80, and that along with the TC-12/82-80's weaknesses eventually made sales of the 82-80 taper off.
When the first elevated track D10's appeared, they blew the 82-80 right out of the water.

Here's one of the local TC-12 survivors, it's in a local Heritage Machinery collection. I took the photo in 2009. The tractor is still fully operational. It is impressive to see it operating.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The TC-12 was cast into a famous movie {A great movie, they don't make them like that any more},
1963 Lilies of the Field-in which Sidney Poitier gets a job at a construction company operating a dozer.
See now, as soon as you said a movie, I pictured the D7 in Heartbreak Ridge.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'm thinking that the TC-12 had a pair of 110 Detroits powering it. Nope I was wrong it was a pair of 6-71s:

Specifications​

1964 Euclid TC-12
Engine:
GM 6-71 (x2)
Displacement: 425 ci (each)
Bore & Stroke: 4.26 x 5 in.
Flywheel Power: 454 hp @ 2100 rpm (both)
Rated Torque: 1,212 lbs-ft @ 1400 (both)
Compression Ratio: 17:1
Transmission: Allison CRT-5531-1 (two)
Weight: 69,500 lbs. (operating)
LxWxH: 16 ft. 3 in. x 11 ft. 5 in. x 8 ft .8 in.
Fuel Capacity: 225 gal.
Tracks: 43 shoes, 27 in. width
Top Speed: 6.80 mph

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I'm thinking that the TC-12 had a pair of 110 Detroits powering it. Nope I was wrong it was a pair of 6-71s:

Specifications​

1964 Euclid TC-12
Engine:
GM 6-71 (x2)
Displacement: 425 ci (each)
Bore & Stroke: 4.26 x 5 in.
Flywheel Power: 454 hp @ 2100 rpm (both)
Rated Torque: 1,212 lbs-ft @ 1400 (both)
Compression Ratio: 17:1
Transmission: Allison CRT-5531-1 (two)
Weight: 69,500 lbs. (operating)
LxWxH: 16 ft. 3 in. x 11 ft. 5 in. x 8 ft .8 in.
Fuel Capacity: 225 gal.
Tracks: 43 shoes, 27 in. width
Top Speed: 6.80 mph
Oh she looks like she was quite a weapon in her day.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
What was the last year that the Detroit 110 was commonly used in equipment? I had an old American dragline at one of the sand mines I managed in the early 80's. I always wondered what the approx age was of that machine. It had a good running 6-110 in it.

Truck Shop

Funny the 6-110 wasn't worth a sh!t in a truck, P.I.E. tried them when it first came out,
never ordered anymore. had supercharger issues.

Last edited:

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
They were quite common in the 50's, 60's and 70's in all types of machinery. By the 80's, our American with that old 6-110 was about at the end of it's life. For a long time, there was a company in Ohio that advertised they were the "home of the 6- 110". I think it was some big GM diesel dealer.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The Allis-Chalmers HD-20, which was released in 1951, used the GM 6-110 engine. The engine was also used in the Euclid S-18 and TS-24 scrapers of the early 1950's.

The HD-20 was only built for 3 years, and when Allis Chalmers bought up the Buda Engine Company in 1953, the new HD-21 that replaced the HD-20, was powered by a Buda engine.

This Buda Engine Company purchase was a kick in the cojones to GM from Allis Chalmers, in response to GM purchasing Euclid in the same period.
A-C kicked out all their GM engines and powered all their machines with Buda's, from early 1954.

I'm not sure what it was about the 6-110, but the engine never seemed to gain the popularity of the GM 71 series.
I'm guessing that not being designed completely by Charles Kettering, unlike the 71 series, it had its flaws. However, the 6-110 did use a lot of the components from the 71 series.

bccat

Occupation
Retired millwright,Heavy Equipment Operator
Most of the Budd cars, ( Rail Diesel Cars ) if not all, had pancake 6-110,s which were replaced with 45 degree 855,with TD trans. We had 6 of them at BC rail. When they discontinued passenger rail. They were sold off or scrapped, all spare engines were scrapped . I got 2 rebuilt ones out of the scrap car for my friend. He put one in his LW, they had big air compressors on them, still in the truck, it’s retired and the owner has passed on

Old Doug

The quarry close by had a tc12. The owner was a friend of the family and i worked for him years later. The last time i was over at the old quarry there were some parts still laying around for tc12 or c6.