• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Euclid

cfherrman

Definitely going to have to put it on the list to find a 110, I severely dislike the v Detroits so that one is extra cool

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I drove a Kenworth Hustler. It was a cement truck. It had a 671 with a 13 direct. The owner of the company said all I can say is drive it like you hate it, cause if you start lugging it around, it will blow a head gasket. I guess I didn't hate it enough, because she blew a head gasket. For not taking his advice, I had to help change said gasket. I backed under the plant for my first load after, I set the mixer to full mix, and hit the hand throttle at the back to full. about halfway through, there was oil running out from under her. I shut her down, and the oil mixed with fuel was coming out the oil cap. I had missed tightening one of the fuel lines under the valve no valve cover. On the bright side, the oil on the dipstick was clean as a new engine, after it was changed, unlike the old quarter cab macks in the yard.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
When I was younger the "Schilli" yard in E. St. Louis, IL had at least one and I think two switcher engines having 4-149 Detroit Diesel engines installed. Looked like an oversized 4-71 but much larger. Very slow revving engine too but had that distinctive two stroke sound.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Forgetting what they called the older blowers some of the 110's had. Instead of the common style you see on all the smaller Detroits from 53's through 92's known as a Roots Blower.

I recall one 110 we had as a stationary power for a crusher. That had a blower that used a compressor wheel that looked like a compressor wheel out of a turbo charger. But instead of being driven by exhaust it was powered by the gear train of the engine.

A bearing failed in that and the power unit was replaced with a Roots blower version of the 110 power unit.

Then when that one had problems it was replaced with a 8V-71 PTO engine power unit.

Did a little search and found this info:
6-110.JPG
This was from a boating magazine but basically the same engine, the blower was a "centrifugal blower".

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
You need to look at the video again.
Doesn't that 110 in the Mack have the side mount Blower? The video moves around so much hard to get a clear view of it. Believe it is down low on the right side as you sit in the seat.

See yellow arrow, top of blower is just under exhaust manifold:
110 Blower.JPG

Diesel Dave

Most of the Budd cars, ( Rail Diesel Cars ) if not all, had pancake 6-110,s which were replaced with 45 degree 855,with TD trans. We had 6 of them at BC rail. When they discontinued passenger rail. They were sold off or scrapped, all spare engines were scrapped . I got 2 rebuilt ones out of the scrap car for my friend. He put one in his LW, they had big air compressors on them, still in the truck, it’s retired and the owner has passed on
1704228552260.jpeg