• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ed's 77 Terex 72-41

Welder Dave

It all depends on the full powertrain and condition of the engine. A fresh engine with no issues could make a big difference. If rebuilt could possibly install different pistons and/or injectors to up the power a little. It is a 2 cycle so needs to be wound up to make the most power unlike most 4 cycle diesels. Too much power on an older machine with dwindling parts supply could lead it to an early and expensive grave.

d9gdon

I say more power, Scotty. You're going to run out of traction most of the time.

Those Allisons are tough. If you up the HP, just don't get it in a huge bind where it'll break. It's not like you're using it in a mine running 24/7.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I would suggest that instead of whining about the lack of responses with free information, you do a little bit of homework on your own and come back with specific questions or risk receiving nothing but silence.

mountainguyed67

Those Allisons are tough.

Someone posted (I think on here) that the guys running this type Terex loader where he used to work would keep it at full throttle and switch the direction back and forth repeatedly, and it never broke anything. If that’s a true story, then reasonable operation with the turbo engine won’t hurt it.

Welder Dave

Have you run one with a fresh engine? You've got a 45 or so year old loader that doesn't exactly have spare parts sitting around collecting dust in a dozen dealerships. I'd suggest keeping it stock if you want it to be the most trouble free.

Welder Dave

Tag on pump says 136.5 Max. brake horse power but that might just be the most the pump would ever require. Is there a tag on the engine?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Stationary engines are designed to do ONE thing, sit at full rpm all day day in day out, there is NO throttle. Will require governor swap and Rack Run on the engine.

Any component in Fuel Control replaced, requires the full rack run to get everything in the right settings.