• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dusting off my vintage equipment

Jeff D.

Ron, you'll be proud of me. I put American made parts back in it, not quite all back together yet though.

JBL, thanks for the help too. I have Heavyquip's link in my list of favorites now. I'll check with them on future parts.:)

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I AM proud of you Jeff and the dozer will thank you for it too.Just replacing that one roller will make a difference in the way the machine rides,especially if your tracks were loose.You will continue to be pleased with it and your choice of dozers,you could have done much worse.Ron G

Jeff D.

Thanks Ron!

I got her all back together, and continued on this job.

Today,
First pic: Removed the sod/topsoil.
Second: Pushed topsoil to low area, and started cutting.
Third: Same.
Forth: Far as I got today. Had deer hanging around all day too.
(they're lucky it's not hunting season!:rolleyes: )

Attachments

• driveway 001.JPG
    driveway 001.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 462
  • driveway 003.JPG
    driveway 003.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 442
  • driveway 004.JPG
    driveway 004.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 466
  • driveway 006.JPG
    driveway 006.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 429

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
The deer know it's not hunting season,they ain't foolin' me!!
You are doing good there Jeff,I went to an auction yesterday,more like a tag sale really.I was looking for some grab hooks etc as it seems like all the chains I have left have no hooks on them and I need to pick the motor off of my boat so I can put a new transom and floor in it.Anyway,the guy had a 350B for sale and was asking 9k for it,it looked pretty good from a distance but I didn't look too close because I don't want to tease myself.I got all the parts I needed,two handfuls for 5 bucks and I set the price.Ron G:D

wrenchbender

Jeff, the deer are looking for your veggie garden. Fresh dirt = fresh veggies in thier eyes/ umm noses I mean.
Any way glad to see the JD back at work and doing such a fine job to boot. :usa

Grader4me

You're doing a great looking job there Jeff. Looking at your pictures I can visualize a big old grader doing the trimming up work for you. Looks like you're getting pretty slick on er now, so maybe a grader isn't required?

You say(earlier post) that you are going to cut some small ditches as well? Did you make a decision about using filter fabric?

Last edited:

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Looking good Jeff! There doesn't seem to be too much stone in your soil there, does it get muddy quick?

Deer are very curious creatures. When I was building my house, I was up on scaffold doing the siding under lights. I had a weird feeling I was being watched (I was alone 900 feet from the road) and turned around to find 6 doe just standing there watching what I was doing about 20 feet away!!

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Looking good Jeff. :thumbsup

I think the expanded metal on the back of the ROPS would be a good place to mount a gun rack. :D

Jeff D.

Thanks everyone for the comments!:)
Grader4me said:
You say(earlier post) that you are going to cut some small ditches as well? Did you make a decision about using filter fabric
My plans currently are to put a small ditch on the west side of the drive(right in last pics) the whole length. The east side has enough slope away I "think" it'll be ok. I've also still to cut the bank back with the backhoe in the section I'd done earlier, and a culvert where it'll connect to my current drive.

I'm planning on using the farbic for atleast the section of hill I did earlier, where it meets the road in the wooded area, possibly more.
Steve Fraizer said:
There doesn't seem to be too much stone in your soil there, does it get muddy quick?
You're right, there is very little stone. It does get muddy quick too. My plans are to put 4" of class 5 over the whole drive, with the fabric under the first 200ft, which I "hope" will be sufficient.:beatsme

I may add some pit run first over the fabric before the class 5 to give adaquate depth in that area.
Countryboy said:
I think the expanded metal on the back of the ROPS would be a good place to mount a gun rack.
:cool2 But a branch might knock the safety off and pull the trigger.:eek::rolleyes:

One of the deer came pretty close the other day (75ft maybe). I decided to see if I could get it closer by laying down on my back in the grass. If I was looking directly at it, it wouldn't come closer, but every time I looked at the sky, and kept talking loudly it would inch it's way closer. If I turned to look though, it would stop. Look away, it came closer.

Finally it must have got as close as it felt comfortable, and that was it. I was laying there watching it, and it started to make whistling noises through it's nose, and stomping one front leg on the ground. For a second I "thought" by it's actions it might charge me, so I got up on all four, incase I needed to run. It then turned and slowly walked away, but it turned back every 20ft or so to look at me.

I'm not sure what it was signaling by it's action. I thought it was a doe, I didn't see any spikes on it, but thought that type of behaviour was something a buck would probobly do.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
But a branch might knock the safety off and pull the trigger.:eek::rolleyes:

One of the deer came pretty close the other day (75ft maybe). I decided to see if I could get it closer by laying down on my back in the grass. If I was looking directly at it, it wouldn't come closer, but every time I looked at the sky, and kept talking loudly it would inch it's way closer. If I turned to look though, it would stop. Look away, it came closer.

Finally it must have got as close as it felt comfortable, and that was it. I was laying there watching it, and it started to make whistling noises through it's nose, and stomping one front leg on the ground. For a second I "thought" by it's actions it might charge me, so I got up on all four, incase I needed to run. It then turned and slowly walked away, but it turned back every 20ft or so to look at me.

I'm not sure what it was signaling by it's action. I thought it was a doe, I didn't see any spikes on it, but thought that type of behaviour was something a buck would probobly do.

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your "closeness with nature" would you. :D ;)

A doe will show the same behavior you describe if they feel cornered or have young close by. They are far less likely to charge, unlike a buck, but will show some of the same behaviors. Having said that, I think I have spent too much time watching instead of putting meat in the freezer. :drinkup

Jeff D.

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your "closeness with nature" would you. :D ;)
Sorry:( I didn't have the camera with at the time.

I think I have spent too much time watching instead of putting meat in the freezer. :drinkup
Me too. I haven't gone hunting in a few years now. It falls during my busy time at work.

Plus I need a new scope for the 30-06. Took it off to put on the 10-22 for plinking. It doesn't have any iron sights for backup either.

Jeff D.

Time to put this thread to bed.

Well, this thread was spose to end with a driveway, house and all the fixin's, but sadly it'll have to stop here. Figured I'd give it some closure.

I'll finish the driveway up next year, maybe. I don't really care about it anymore. The rest of the project, house, septic, well, are all cancelled.

We were building it for my parents, but on July 24th my father had a seizure. Docotor's found a brain tumor. It's since been removed, but he's not in great shape. He still can't speak in sentances, only a word or two. His right arm doesn't work, right leg barely works, and he still can't walk on his own.

So, their current house is gonna have to be home for them from here on out.

I've been busy building wheelchair ramps, and doing interior mods to it in anticipation of him eventually getting out of the hospital and returning home.

I guess you never can tell what life's gonna bring sometimes.

I did get time learning/operating my dozer on this project, so I guess it did help me alittle with experience that way. (the only "bright side" of this whole #%@&^ thing!! :rolleyes: )

Lashlander

Jeff, so sorry to hear this. You're right, life can turn on a dime. My thought are with you and your family.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Sorry to hear this Jeff,life has its trials and tribulations.We all have to deal with these things at some point.Thanks for sharing.You have memories of better days that noone can take away.Ron G

Truckie

Jeff I’m so sorry to her of this.
Life dose suck when it decides to take a turn for the worst and knocks you down like this. The most important things stop and become nothing but a memory and the furthest thought in your mind now is the most important thing.
Jeff I know how you feel as I went through some life changing events with my Grand Father and brother and now as I type this I’m going through some with my dad.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and you family.

Mike

wrenchbender

Jeff, I'm very sorry to hear this you and family are in my thoughts and prayers. I also have been through some of these things it's been some years ago now. I guess the main thing that kept me going through it at the time was all the great memories of good times. And I still look back and smile at a lot of the strange and crazy stuff my parents did to make us kids happy.