• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dusting off my vintage equipment

nedly05

What we call "filter fabric" is more of a felt, we use it to cover crushed stone in drain lines, and leach lines that sort of thing. We call the road stabilization fabric "marifi" I think that is a company that makes it. There are 2 different weights that we use. 600 and 1200(I dont know what it means). The 1200 is much more heavy, a 12' full roll is almost too much for two people. We use the road stabilization fabric a lot, it is really incredible stuff. For what it costs its worth it for piece of mind, especially in any area in question.

Great pics by the way Jeff!! You're soing a great job!

Jeff D.

Thanks guys, for the info and the links! I've some reading and reseach to do now.:eek:

My main concern for using the fabric was to keep the class 5 and clay seperated (when it gets wet and swishy) and for stabilizing the road abit.

Jeff D.

Jeff D. said:
A 40year old piece and still being worked hard, as Squizzy would say "without any drama", is a testiment to John Deere's quality.:yup
Oh, me and my big mouth!!:Banghead

I powerwashed out the UC the other day, and found some shiny marks on the side of the left drive sprocket.:beatsme

The left rear roller had excessive side play, and was rubbing the sprocket. Pulled it out and found the 4 bolts which center the roller had come out on one side. One broken off flush.

I'll get it back together ASAP, and continue with the driveway pronto-ly............er no, with great pronto-ness:beatsme

With urgent pronto-liness, yeah!!:cool2

I'm blaming you Pete "kc5gxc" (I'm not really). It was all your talk of bad rollers that caused this.:wink2

Attachments

• dozer roller repair 001.JPG
    dozer roller repair 001.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 423
  • dozer roller repair 005.JPG
    dozer roller repair 005.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 409

Jeff D.

Look at the bright side....you caught it and repaired it before any further damage was done!
This is very true!

I had sticker shock when I found out how much just the new seals and bushings were going to be for it. More than a complete roller for the Komastu D20's and 21's.:eek:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
This is very true!

I had sticker shock when I found out how much just the new seals and bushings were going to be for it. More than a complete roller for the Komastu D20's and 21's.:eek:

Is that genuine JD stuff/prices Jeff. I know for most all that gear is available aftermarket and its generally where the manufacturer gets the stuff anyway.

On the 248B the relay for the fuel pump was fitted upside down so it collected water everytime I pressure cleaned. It crapped out on a job and I didn't have time to fix it....a phone and the Cat truck materialised....$358.00!!:eek: for a call out, a fuse and a 12 volt relay. I found the same relay yesterday for $28.00.....I'm thinking about going into business.

Jeff D.

Is that genuine JD stuff/prices Jeff. I know for most all that gear is available aftermarket and its generally where the manufacturer gets the stuff anyway.
Yup, it is. Well, maybe, I'll pick the parts up tomorrow and see for sure. They're spose be "Genuine".
On the 248B the relay for the fuel pump was fitted upside down so it collected water everytime I pressure cleaned. It crapped out on a job and I didn't have time to fix it....a phone and the Cat truck materialised....$358.00!!:eek: for a call out, a fuse and a 12 volt relay. I found the same relay yesterday for $28.00.....I'm thinking about going into business.
:rolleyes: Yeah, no kidding!!

Well, unless there's a mistake and I'm getting a set of seals and bushings with each part #, the two bushings and seals for this one roller are $270.:eek: :confused:

I didn't know this until after I ordered them, otherwise I would've been doing some checking on aftermarket parts, like you mentioned.

I'll have a talk with the parts guy and see "whats up" with those prices, or if there was a mistake. I'm use to big prices for truck parts but these JD prices are completely ridiculous, if they're correct.:Banghead

Jeff D.

I went to the JD dealer Sat morning to pick up my parts and check on the parts pricing issue.

The parts were still not in, but I now have an idea why the prices are so out of whack, and why I'm having trouble even getting them. The 2 seals and bushings for the 1 roller were indeed $277.:confused:

The roller design was changed and my roller has been long since obsolete. To get the original roller parts was going to be expensive($277) as the seal are an uncommon design (and made up 75% of the price)

I can buy an updated genuine JD complete repalcement roller for $223, and they said a foreign made one for even less.(waiting for that price from them)

The parts guy was understanding at why I was upset, and did seem to be interested in finding me a more cost effective solution, so I'm perfectly willing to continue to work with them. They've no problem returning what I've already ordered and ordering a complete roller instead.

A complete rollers seems to be the way to go, and is alittle more inline $$ wise, to what I'd expect.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Definately a good choice. Seems you were looking at a good deal of money either way but I think the choice you made will benefit you later when it comes time to rebuild the roller. :thumbsup

So we get to see more pictures now.....:beatsme :D

Jeff D.

So we get to see more pictures now.....:beatsme :D
You will, you will, but I've nothing new worth posting right now.;)

I still gotta truck 5-6 days/wk, and doing this job is only in my "free time". There's not much left over after the trucking...............and keeping my equipment running.:eek: on edit( and sweezing in some quality "HEF" time:wink2 )

But soon!!

Last edited:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I still gotta truck 5-6 days/wk

Why yes Mr. Jeff, thats a excellent idea.......trucking pictures would be great....:D

Are the rest of your rollers in good shape? I ask because maybe you could get a discount if you bought a certain quantity. :beatsme

Jeff D.

Why yes Mr. Jeff, thats a excellent idea.......trucking pictures would be great....:D
I don't have too many of them kind.:beatsme :D

Are the rest of your rollers in good shape? I ask because maybe you could get a discount if you bought a certain quantity. :beatsme
I double checked the rest-o-them and they were all good. The one that went bad was only cuz those bolts backed out. If'n I knew beforehand I'd have only ordered one seal, that's all that needed replacement. I pounded out the bushings and ruined the other seal removing it, not knowing they were made outta gold and unicorn horn till after.:pointhead

JBL

Jeff, I just took a look on Heavyquip for roller part #AM2008T. They sell it for $163.64 not sure who it is made by.

Jeff D.

Jeff, I just took a look on Heavyquip for roller part #AM2008T. They sell it for $163.64 not sure who it is made by.
Ok, thanks!!

The dealer's gonna call me tomorrow AM with a price for a foreign made one, and then I'll decide which way to go, genuine or aftermarket, from them or order elsewhere.

Thanks for the heads up.:thumbsup

JBL

Well someone will have to correct me if I am wrong here but I believe Berco makes John Deere undercarriage. So in my opinion OEM from deere is really aftermarket to begin with.

Jeff D.

Well someone will have to correct me if I am wrong here but I believe Berco makes John Deere undercarriage. So in my opinion OEM from deere is really aftermarket to begin with.
Huh, I didn't know that. I just thought they made their own.

The part#AM2008T you gave is for the original style roller that my machine has too. I checked it out and Heavyquip has it in stock.

The part # JD changed it too was AT174436, which Heavyquip didn't have in stock.

I wouldn't care if I got the older style though, if they've lasted as long as they have so far.

Have you ordered from Heavyquip before? Are they quick shipping? Any complaints, positive feedback about them?

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
Jeff,you will NEVER forgive yourself if you put a chinese roller under there!!!!Ron G:) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

JBL

I have never ordered anything from them since they are only 1 1/2 hours from me. So can't help you on whether they are good on shipping or not.