• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Do you loathe parts guys sometimes? Do you wonder if major manufacturers really have it together?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The CAT guy must have learned math from that new "Common Core" curriculum. It started when my youngest kid was in high school in the early 2000's. I remember my wife and I tried to help her with some math stuff and said WTF are they teaching these kid's. What the teacher's wanted them to right out to solve problems was insane and too long. We ended up teaching her the way we learned so she could figure out the correct answers quickly, then right the problem out the way the teacher wanted it.
Core math......My daughter is ten. I was more than happy to help her practice multiplication tables. I actually found the old songs by Billy Leach that they used to play for us in school. The core stuff is doable, if you have the time to wrap your head around it. They should put a class on for parents to be able to help the kids with it. If you have enough weed, you can figure it out.

N140MM

Now they've got SIS 2.0 and it's really obtuse. Our local dealer has been on it for a while and it's lead to quite a few issues with parts orders.

AzIron

It ought to be free with the ownership of a cat machine our dealer here wants a subscription fee for it not sure how much it is tho

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It used to be free. The dealerships took that away and decided to charge for it. Now days I'm finding it is limited to only the machines that you currently own as well. Gone are the days when you would get access to every machine in the system. It does pay to ask though, if you are a big enough customer they may give it to you. That is, if you negotiate it with the purchase of a new machine. You can ask now though and let us know what you are told. I've heard that some dealerships are more interested in keeping customers and selling parts than they are keeping everything a secret.

Muffler Bearing

Occupation
Truck Mechanic
Whoa I just did those same seat switches on a Wacker Roller, and the switches came from cat and only one had the rubber!
I RTV'd the other rubber on to it.

Tenwheeler

I am not to Cat happy right now! Called the same phone number I called Cat in Augusta on for 36 years. Ordered some loader pins and misc. I could order anything and write a check when I picked it up. Was told it would be there in the morning. That is the same great Cat service I had come accustomed to but I had to prepay with a card. Did not get the machine for a couple days and took it apart. Went to get the parts but they were half way across the state. Where do you call? You talked to a man in ABC XYZ. I called here! Same place I have been calling for years, 706 790 1300. What do I have to do to talk to a person here? Oh: You can't. All parts orders go to the call center.
Had to put the machine back with the old pins and run it. Get it back apart about 3 weeks later and the parts are wrong. Called and talked it one man in Lawranceville I believe. Same Augusta number. Maybe our conversation was taking to long. Hello? Hello? Can you here me? Click. He had sent me a parts diagram and called me pack later. After the click I had his number and called him back. The call went through the call center program and I ended up talking to a man in a different city. The same one that did the original order. He helped me thew the parts ID with the diagram I had. Hope it is correct. He told me the parts will be in Augusta tomorrow. I asked him if he needed a card but I never got an answer. We will see how this works out.
I am kind of on the payroll for a company that has a good bit of Cat equipment. When I was working on a large job and ordering parts I got a call on my cell phone. It was From Cat, I believe in California, for a customer satisfaction survey. No one is calling me now?

Mobilewrench

Now they've got SIS 2.0 and it's really obtuse. Our local dealer has been on it for a while and it's lead to quite a few issues with parts orders.

I have many horror stories about dealing with bad parts people.
But the first thing I need to do is give props to my local cat parts guru, Kalei. She is amazingly good at her job. And SIS 2.0 is a tragedy.
Parts and information is such a huge logistical part of my effectiveness that I think I honestly spend more time and effort in those relationships than I do with my children.
My grown children won't seem to move out of my house. A talented parts person can have my spare bedrooms AND the master bath.
I remember having a long conversation with an idiot client a few years ago. He wondered why I had to drive to town to order parts instead of doing it over the phone.
Interpersonal relationships make or break the process.
But, let me tell you about this little douchebag, George....

Tenwheeler

I have many horror stories about dealing with bad parts people.
But the first thing I need to do is give props to my local cat parts guru, Kalei. She is amazingly good at her job. And SIS 2.0 is a tragedy.
Parts and information is such a huge logistical part of my effectiveness that I think I honestly spend more time and effort in those relationships than I do with my children.
My grown children won't seem to move out of my house. A talented parts person can have my spare bedrooms AND the master bath.
I remember having a long conversation with an idiot client a few years ago. He wondered why I had to drive to town to order parts instead of doing it over the phone.
Interpersonal relationships make or break the process.
But, let me tell you about this little douchebag, George....
Nice picture! Anywhere close to getting the old dozer fired up?

Mobilewrench

No, I stumbled across that while trying to get up the mountain to a d8. I think I actually took.the picture in order to tall clients that I would really rather work on that old cable rig than anything that they bought as military surplus.

63 caveman

Call in and get the "bad" parts guy (should have hung up and called back like I normally do but in a rush) "I need a rebuild kit for X". He replies "Only comes as an assembly and don't have it in stock cost is XXXX.XX can have it here in 3 days. Do you you want me to order it?" Yes! Go in to pick it up and the "good" parts guy hands me the order and asks "Why didn't you just rebuild it, I got 6 kits here in stock?" Funk Me!
I hate working on this brand of equipment because of this deader (nothing wrong with the brand I personally own 3 pieces).
Next time in (a few weeks ago) I go to counter and am waiting for the "good" parts guy and he said "he can help you(the "bad parts guy"). I'm at the counter for almost 2 hours and half the crap isn't in stock. So I place the order (except for the cylinder rebuild kits, they want over $300 a piece for them and I get them from my "seal" guy for less than $100 a piece and he has it all in stock). Pick up the order and go to machine to to continue work and find that I got some wrong parts! Spend an hour on the phone to straighten that out and another trip to dealer to get the right stuff and return the wrong stuff. They want to charge me a restocking fee! Funk Me! I lose my mind! In the end they gave me a pass code to get into their data base and didn't charge me to restock.

I always have trouble billing customers full rate for time spent tracking down parts and it seems like it been taking longer and longer these days.