• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Do you loathe parts guys sometimes? Do you wonder if major manufacturers really have it together?

Vetech63

Well, more parts guy bitching!!! This thread will turn into a book series at some point soon.

Last week, after doing a fan speed test on a JD200D excavator with 8700 hours, I determined that I needed a new fan pump and motor.........I always replace them as a set. I call up my local Deere dealer, give them the model and serial number of the machine. He tells me that they have the fan motor but will need to bring the pump in...........no problem. I'm not tearing into this until I have the parts in my hand as freight has screwed me so many times this year I quit keeping track.
I pick up the motor and pump this morning and drive 60 miles to the job. I installed the fan motor first thing, no problem. I get to the pump and notice it is different from the one on the engine. I pull the original pump and find that the part numbers are different......the original is a aluminum pump and the replacement is a heavy ass cast iron pump with the fitting holes in completely different locations. So I call the dealer and give him the part numbers on both pumps.........he tells me that the original pump is replaced by the new cast iron pump. I ask "Didn't the update show a plumbing kit or something!?" After 15 minutes on the phone he THEN confirms that there is a plumbing kit for that pump with the reversing option.

My intent when I left this morning was to complete this job in 1 day. Now, because they didn't tell me this was an updated pump that needed a plumbing kit its a 2 day labor and travel job.........once I get the plumbing kit at the end of this week.....if Im lucky.

Was it an oversight? Was the update listed on the parts diagram? I have no idea whos fault that is.........All I know is its aggravating as HELL and this seems to happen CONSTANTLY!!!!!!

I swear I'm on the verge of going postal:mad::mad::mad:

Rant over......for now.

Truck Shop

I use to get wound up when parts were wrong or late-this day and age it's 50/50. I can't do a damn thing about it. I just take a break grab some coffee
light up a smoke make a few clicks on the company PC and check out what's going on at HEF. Pretty soon I read where someone has way bigger
problems than I do and know their world is the same as mine. I'm not alone.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
When I worked for someone else I would get upset. Finally just told the boss the news and let him get upset. Then turned around a walked out.

When I was a teen my dad had an International Scout that he no longer used. It sat outside for a couple of years and then we decided to get it running again. I needed something or other and it was only available from the International dealer at the time. I ordered it and was told it would be in the next day. Dad told me not to go down there when they said as International was never on time about anything they said or did. Well I went down there anyway and sure enough the part didn't show up. I was a bit miffed more because dad was right and I wasted time and gas. Before I left I gave them the home phone number and told them to call when the part was in. Three days later I got a call.

We are just going back in time to 1968 and we have had it too good for the last forty years.

BigWrench55

I used to get bent out of shape horribly. Like the kind of behavior that will get you thrown in jail this day in age. Now it doesn't bother me. If the parts guy gets it wrong or forgets to order it at all. I simply tell the boss that I did my part. I showed up, troubleshot it and ordered the part. What happens after that is of no concern to me.

Tenwheeler

Well with the current guy in charge of the Post Office you should have a couple days to calm down as he is putting the Snail in the Snail Mail!
Postal? Um? Everybody knows baby chicks are shipped overnight or 2nd day in some cases. The route carrier will deliver them but the local office knows to call me. I will pick them up first thing. Carrier appreciates it and better for the birds.
Post Office in the next county called me at 3:30 in the afternoon. We have your chickens. You are going to come and pick them up?
200 bags of feed have been on order from Manufacturer. 53' trailer showed up today with 9 bags.
Overhaul kit came with a sleeve of twelve rod bearing shells. One was bad and would lock the engine down. Stuff ordered from dealer for same job has not shown up. It came in we forgot to ship it to you. I will get it out today.
I am not looking for it to get better but the feed company can be replaced.