• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8R new tracks

Robert0769

As Bccat says,it’s all in the operator.
Good operators can get twice as much out of an undercarriage as a novice or a highly experienced imbecile.
Fortunately for my little operation,I’m quoting against big companies that accept and understand that you can’t get good men to operate them,so the higher running costs are allready built into their rates.
Rates are allways tight enough,so if I undercut by a tiny margin,or offer a much more flexible service to the contractor,then I can make a bit of profit from time to time.
I sent some more pictures of the used parts. What do you think?

aongheas.macask

Occupation
ex service manager
As Bccat says,it’s all in the operator.
Good operators can get twice as much out of an undercarriage as a novice or a highly experienced imbecile.
Fortunately for my little operation,I’m quoting against big companies that accept and understand that you can’t get good men to operate them,so the higher running costs are allready built into their rates.
Rates are allways tight enough,so if I undercut by a tiny margin,or offer a much more flexible service to the contractor,then I can make a bit of profit from time to time.
Nicky, I like " a highly experienced imbecile" ,I've come across a few myself.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I sent the pictures of the used parts. What do you think?
Out of the 6 track rollers in your photo I can see 3 that I wouldn't consider installing even if they could be bought for scrap price. That's 6 rollers out of 16, what do the other 10 look like.?

I assume there are four idlers but there are only photos of 2 of them, and without seeing them side by side with a new idler it's hard to tell. Is it possible to put a straight edge across the top of each idler as shown and measure the depth at the points shown by the two pins on both sides.? Post up the results and I'll tell you how much they are worn.

upload_2022-12-13_16-45-10.png

Robert0769

Out of the 6 track rollers in your photo I can see 3 that I wouldn't consider installing even if they could be bought for scrap price. That's 6 rollers out of 16, what do the other 10 look like.?

I assume there are four idlers but there are only photos of 2 of them, and without seeing them side by side with a new idler it's hard to tell. Is it possible to put a straight edge across the top of each idler as shown and measure the depth at the points shown by the two pins on both sides.? Post up the results and I'll tell you how much they are worn.

View attachment 274926
I won't be in the area again but I believe it was about .8".

Robert0769

Yessiree Bob. A brand new one measures slightly more than that so those idlers in your photos were obviously somehow miraculously adding metal to the tread area while they were working, not wearing it off.
They told me idlers are newer about 80%. Some rollers are newer than others. Some cat brand rollers and some other brand rollers. The pads on the chains are older than the chains/rollers/idlers.

Robert0769

Yessiree Bob. A brand new one measures slightly more than that so those idlers in your photos were obviously somehow miraculously adding metal to the tread area while they were working, not wearing it off.
I will see about a measurement, 3/4" is about what I saw when I was there. Didn't take a picture.

nicky 68a

One more point to remember if you do get a professional measurement on that second hand undercarriage………there’s not much difference in an undercarriage that’s 70% left or one that’s 40% left.
Then there’s the 120% worn calculations to consider.
However,if it’s going to cost you a few hundred dollars to get a professional measurement from a supplier,then leave well alone as they’re going to tell you things you don’t want to hear.
And they’ll be right.

Robert0769

One more point to remember if you do get a professional measurement on that second hand undercarriage………there’s not much difference in an undercarriage that’s 70% left or one that’s 40% left.
Then there’s the 120% worn calculations to consider.
However,if it’s going to cost you a few hundred dollars to get a professional measurement from a supplier,then leave well alone as they’re going to tell you things you don’t want to hear.
And they’ll be right.
And 1+ months no date for delivery

nicky 68a

Am I correct in thinking you’ll need to buy the old tracks as you can’t get any others at all?
If so,just wrap the trackgroups around and some new segments.
Try and avoid having to fit those old idlers and rollers though if you can.
Too much hard work for very little reward

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
I’ve followed this thread all the way, if it were me (which it’s not) if it was my money (which it ain’t) and I had as much work as you say you do, Id rent a machine (or two) and work while I waited for my new Cat undercarriage, which would assure my clients were serviced and Id have an undercarriage on my own machine that would wear for much, much longer than the used one. But that’s one man’s opinion.

colson04

I’ve followed this thread all the way, if it were me (which it’s not) if it was my money (which it ain’t) and I had as much work as you say you do, Id rent a machine (or two) and work while I waited for my new Cat undercarriage, which would assure my clients were serviced and Id have an undercarriage on my own machine that would wear for much, much longer than the used one. But that’s one man’s opinion.

And as I've heard around this forum for quite awhile now: if there's no money in the job to cover a rental, then there wasn't enough money in the job to begin with.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I can see your thoughts here, but, there is always a but. Your running full speed doing jobs and taking more jobs. Making money doing good. BUT, you didn't notice, realize, think ahead, or plan for UC wear? It didn't happen overnight. Personally, I am fixing equipment for next summer while i have time now.