• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8R new tracks

Robert0769

Time for new tracks. Deciding between regular SALT track vs SALT with positive pin retention. Dozer is run in dirt, not much rock or other material. It does run over the occasional "make your butthole pucker" rock and such.

I do heavy slot pushing.

From what I read, it's a metal ring that can help extend life and is recommended for mining and heavy industrial use or tracks with wide shoes. My shoes are 22" thinner.

Is the positive pin retention worth the extra $6,000-$8,000?

Thank you

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Also, one track is worn twice as much as the other. Is there any reason I can't just replace one side?
Would you like to share the wear measurements for both sides.?
I'd vote to go for PPR in your conditions of operation as described.
Are you proposing to wrap new tracks on top of the existing sprockets/rollers/carrier rollers/idlers.?
You could conceivably do one side first but I would not advise to fit new tracks withpout replacing everything else in the U/C system that the tracks runs on.

Robert0769

Would you like to share the wear measurements for both sides.?
I'd vote to go for PPR in your conditions of operation as described.
Are you proposing to wrap new tracks on top of the existing sprockets/rollers/carrier rollers/idlers.?
You could conceivably do one side first but I would not advise to fit new tracks withpout replacing everything else in the U/C system that the tracks runs on.
Yes I'll send a picture of the difference. Will be a few hours. One side has 1/4-1/2 the bushing wear face gone and is exposing the pin. The other side is barely starting to wear completely through the bushing. 1/2" difference on grousers. Can even tell it's a different color on the more worn one.

So far I have trek or ITR no PPR with extreme shoes 22" and sprockets at 22k and replacing rollers is about 9k then idlers are 10k.

I have DCF PPR 30k and ITR PPR 26k. Again idler and rollers 19k. So 45-49k for ITR PPR or about any brand no PPR is 38-42k.

Maybe one side at a time may be needed, I know I have my trans rebuild coming up soon. Engine is still strong, want to do a sos test soon. Trans is still good in second and third gear. First is toast.

Bluox

Yes I'll send a picture of the difference. Will be a few hours. One side has 1/4-1/2 the bushing wear face gone and is exposing the pin. The other side is barely starting to wear completely through the bushing. 1/2" difference on grousers. Can even tell it's a different color on the more worn one.

So far I have trek or ITR no PPR with extreme shoes 22" and sprockets at 22k and replacing rollers is about 9k then idlers are 10k.

I have DCF PPR 30k and ITR PPR 26k. Again idler and rollers 19k. So 45-49k for ITR PPR or about any brand no PPR is 38-42k.

Maybe one side at a time may be needed, I know I have my trans rebuild coming up soon. Engine is still strong, want to do a sos test soon. Trans is still good in second and third gear. First is toast.
Is this a joke?
Bad bob

Nige

Photos can only tell so much but numbers don't lie.
So you haven't had the U/C measured by the dealer.? Were you aware it's a free service.?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have to agree on the joke comment. I have measured thousands of undercarriages and the stated hours and types of wear are just not possible. Wearing one track out with little to no wear on the other side would mean the machine is spinning circles. The comment on slot dozing added to the stated wear gives me visions of the machine cutting threads in the earth.

Robert0769

Photos can only tell so much but numbers don't lie.
So you haven't had the U/C measured by the dealer.? Were you aware it's a free service.?
Nothing is free anymore unfortunately. I've called and told them I want to buy a complete undercarriage and please come see what I need, they said no and wanted to charge $800 to look. Last time I had a tech out, they missed a few maintenance things I should have been aware of so wasn't to fond of $800 for a quote. I'll try asking again. Last time they said they don't have any in stock and don't know when they will.

Robert0769

Is this a joke?
Bad bob
Yes very bad. Imagine seeing a gap in the plates that's twice as big on the right side then the left of the same track while tracking an uphill 2:1 slope. I'm repaired the more worn side twice now. Tired of $2,500 bandaids.

Robert0769

I have to agree on the joke comment. I have measured thousands of undercarriages and the stated hours and types of wear are just not possible. Wearing one track out with little to no wear on the other side would mean the machine is spinning circles. The comment on slot dozing added to the stated wear gives me visions of the machine cutting threads in the earth.
I don't have the pictures on this phone but I will take more today. I've previously posted the pictures. I'm amazed at the strength of these tracks. Every time I repair is when the pin is buckling. Slot pushing, uphill tracking.

Robert0769

Pretty sure the private seller pulled a fast one after my paid mechanic inspection and switched one side before delivering.

Right side is 100% bushing on top, 0-10% bottom. Left side is 100% bushing on top, 0-5% bottom. I can cut perfectly flat and smooth surfaces on an area of 100 newly dumped trucks (staring at the top 1/3rd)

It's time to order new.

Welder Dave

I'm guessing you never considered Cat undercarriage and the $800 to do an assessment is from aftermarket suppliers and not Cat? Don't have to buy Cat but could still get an inspection and quote from them.

Last edited:

Nige

I've called and told them I want to buy a complete undercarriage and please come see what I need, they said no and wanted to charge $800 to look.
Call the Parts Dept and ask to speak to the PSSR (Parts & Service Sales Rep) who deals with undercarriage. Tell them right up front you have a D8R, it'll have them salivating......

Nige

While we are talking undercarraige does anyone do grouser jobs or build up idlers anymore?
I think it all depends on circumstances and wear rates. On a recent job we could go 3 wear cycles (new + 2 re-grouserings) on shoes without the base of the shoe wearing thin but this was in highly abrasive material where in worst-case scenario we could take a set of SES grousers from new to the wear limit in maybe 1000-1500 hours. Idlers we just wore them to 125% and junked them.