• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8R new tracks

Robert0769

The big reveal! You can see the difference in chain wear from each side. There are 3-4 spots where the bushing is worn off on the more worn left side. That side also needs to be tightened every day or so while the other side never has to. So it's definitely more worn. I'm getting ready to do everything both sides, that way something else can break down the following week! Ha! No really it's a work horse and besides my chain abuse, I keep on the maintenance which isn't much really.

Attachments

• IMG_20221208_145632898_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221208_145632898_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20221208_145702499_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221208_145702499_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20221208_145718434.jpg
    IMG_20221208_145718434.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20221208_145731584.jpg
    IMG_20221208_145731584.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 73

Robert0769

Are you planning on doing anything with the transmission when you put the new U/C on.?
Not having 1st gear to work with could tear up all the nice shiny new parts in short order which would be a shame after you'd invested so much money in them.
Yes planning on it asap, however 2nd gear is strong enough to slot push up hill so 1st hasn't worried me too much. There hasn't been issues with stuff in screens, been getting cleaner with each change.

Robert0769

You haven't answered if you asked Cat for an undercarriage appraisal? Need to clarify who wanted $800 to do it.
Yes it was Cat, Hawthorne Cat. They don't care that I want to drop 40-50k. In fact I'm still having problems getting them to call me back for a quote. Parts says they could order it but they recommend I go through a sales rep because they'll definitely get me a lower price but the sales rep won't call back. Every aftermarket rep gets prices back to me in 30 minutes and you can text them any time. Cat don't give two squirts

Welder Dave

I'd always thought it was a free service too. Perhaps a call to Cat corporate letting them know about the treatment or lack of it you've received might be in order. Do you have much of a history with this dealer?

Robert0769

I'd always thought it was a free service too. Perhaps a call to Cat corporate letting them know about the treatment or lack of it you've received might be in order. Do you have much of a history with this dealer?
Bought lots of parts from them. 15kish a year not including any pumps or whatever extra. I don't think corporate is interested. I'm smaller business.

colson04

The skilled labor shortage is very real. Even car dealers/independent mechanics have to be scheduled similarly.

My inlaws have a used car dealership and full service repair shop. Since the covid lock downs were removed in 2020, they've been booked 3 to 6 weeks out. That's over 2 years that their schedule has been completely full with a waiting list. There are no slots for emergency roll in work. You bring a dead car on a rollback and drop it off, they might get a chance to look at it in 2 weeks. My father in law could hire 2 more techs, if he could find them.

I'm not surprised a Cat dealer is just as.booked up. Our Deere dealer is busy as heck too. The only time we see their techs are because of emergency field repair. Anything that goes to their shop is a couple months or more getting it back.

Mcrafty1

Occupation
Earth work
The big reveal! You can see the difference in chain wear from each side. There are 3-4 spots where the bushing is worn off on the more worn left side. That side also needs to be tightened every day or so while the other side never has to. So it's definitely more worn. I'm getting ready to do everything both sides, that way something else can break down the following week! Ha! No really it's a work horse and besides my chain abuse, I keep on the maintenance which isn't much really.
If you need to tighten the track on the worn side every other day the track tightener is releasing on you (leaking off) and may explain why that track is wearing so much differently than the other. Just my 2cts.
What I'm saying is you will want to address that when you replace the UC.

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Definitely need to repair the track tensioner problem.
Is there any chance that the tiller steering control is malfunctioning and and putting more drive power to the track that is wearing so much faster than the other ?
I have done heavy slot dozing and it is very tempting to try and turn in the slot. It puts a lot of strain on the track that is being used to turn.

Last edited:

JD955SC

If you need to tighten the track on the worn side every other day the track tightener is releasing on you (leaking off) and may explain why that track is wearing so much differently than the other. Just my 2cts.
What I'm saying is you will want to address that when you replace the UC.

I’m going to say he’s in for at least one tensioner reseal if not both getting to that age,, betting equalizer bar needs rebearing and no telling how the center bore and pin is, no telling how the pivot shafts are, and so forth. I would urge a FULL inspection and scope of work estimate before dumping all the money into just the undercarriage and encountering unpleasant surprises once torn down. More than once I’ve seen an owner decide AFTER teardown that the work needed is higher than the value of the machine.

The part nobody wants to think about on these machines is what else needs attention beyond just replacing the normal components of the undercarriage.

Robert0769

My inlaws have a used car dealership and full service repair shop. Since the covid lock downs were removed in 2020, they've been booked 3 to 6 weeks out. That's over 2 years that their schedule has been completely full with a waiting list. There are no slots for emergency roll in work. You bring a dead car on a rollback and drop it off, they might get a chance to look at it in 2 weeks. My father in law could hire 2 more techs, if he could find them.

I'm not surprised a Cat dealer is just as.booked up. Our Deere dealer is busy as heck too. The only time we see their techs are because of emergency field repair. Anything that goes to their shop is a couple months or more getting it back.
Yes I understand this. However with their $200 an hour they could do a little better but I do understand. Many people get paid to stay home now. Don't get me started lol. Screw 'em, I'm out making all their money while they're home sick. Wish them the best. As a licensed earthworks contractor who is licensed in hazmat, mold and more while also having field hospital experience.. I can't believe how things went knowing what I know.. and there's a lot more people a lot smarter than me running things!