• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5G XL Park brake came on when using

mike holcomb

As much as I wanted to say the Brake Pressure switch was the problem, it was not. Still won't switch off brake

mike holcomb

I now have a 272 code in computer that won't erase,
Edit, I got it to erase, still no luck. Where do I go now?

Last edited:

mike holcomb

Would the park brake solenoid be a little different? I see the new one has 3 ports and the old one only has 2 . The new Solenoid is #269-5774 , idk why the new one says #257-1728 on body?
I cant see a number on old one1000001640.jpg1000001639.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Would the park brake solenoid be a little different? I see the new one has 3 ports and the old one only has 2 .
It's hard to tell from the photos. I suggest to put the 2 valve bodies side by side and check if the lands with the O-Rings/backup rings in between them line up. If they do then I would suggest not to worry too much about it.
269-5774 is listed as the latest replacement for 201-2171 which I would imagine is the Part Number of the valve you removed.

Below is the image of the 269-5774.

1686580146771.png
dk why the new one says #257-1728 on body? I cant see a number on old one
257-1728 should be the Part Number of the solenoid coill.

Nige

Do you have a 500psi pressure guage.?
Hook it up to Test post #7 (should be marked "Park Brake") and with the engine at Low Idle see what pressure you are getting when the parking brake switch is on the OFF position. Try it at High Idle also.
Spec is 344 ± 44 psi.

1686580527205.png

mike holcomb

I put the old one back in, it opens and closes when I power it up. I don't have gauges to hook up to oil port. I'd have to get some. Idk what they call the specific ends for the port on machine

Nige

I don't have gauges to hook up to oil port. I'd have to get some. Idk what they call the specific ends for the port on machine
The test procedure calls for a 177-7862 Hose, 2 x 6V-4143 Couplers, and a 6V-3989 fitting to screw into the pressure gauge.

6V-4143
1686595047529.png
6V-3989
1686595168153.png

Now that you have 2 solenoid valve assemblies why not try connecting the machine wiring harness to the "spare" one, then start the engine and move the parking brake switch to OFF. Can you hear/feel the solenoid clicking.? You might even be able to see the internal spool moving.

mike holcomb

The test procedure calls for a 177-7862 Hose, 2 x 6V-4143 Couplers, and a 6V-3989 fitting to screw into the pressure gauge.

Now that you have 2 solenoid valve assemblies why not try connecting the machine wiring harness to the "spare" one, then start the engine and move the parking brake switch to OFF. Can you hear/feel the solenoid clicking.? You might even be able to see the internal spool moving.
I left to go see if I can Barrow some test gauges. I'll check tomorrow when I come back to job

Nige

I only 1 gauge and fitting to hook into #7 or do I need to hook into 2 ports at once
No. Just one gauge that will read in the 5-600psi range, a quick coupler to connect to port #7, and whatever hose/fittings you need to connect between the QC and the gauge.
IIRC the internal thread in the opposite end to the 6V-4143 to the QC is 1/8" NPT.

Last edited:

mike holcomb

Ok, Thanks
Edit*
He made up a adapter I can just thread on instead of quick connect

Last edited:

mike holcomb

This morning I tested ports #7 #3 & #4 I have no oil PSI on any of ports. Nige has answered a private message, could the coupler be bad at the Engine and Pump?

mike holcomb

Why does that coupler go? Is something usually going wrong with pump so the coupler is like a safeguard before it blows pump to pieces?

Nige

Has anyone replaced that coupler on-site? Or Would CAT want dozer brought into shop?
Personally I wouldn't like to contemplate the idea of doing one in the field but I guess it's not impossible.

The coupler flange is nylon. It's kinda designed as the fuse but can faill all on its own.
How many hours on the tractor.?

mike holcomb

I talked with Guy in service, he wants dozer at shop to do the coupler, if that is the issue. I told them my diagnosis up to this point. They canceled the road call guy cause he was gonna do samething I did for tests. Thanks to this Page !!!