• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3B 23Y needed attention

asleiman

Did flush the engine out till it was all clear. Then installed all hoses and filled with antifreeze..
My plan is to test the coolant to make sure it is not leaking into the oil. Now that the cooler
and hoses are all clear. My radiator tester did not have big enough cap to hold pressure. Gona borrow one from my friends at the shop

Welder Dave

My 931B uses an 8D battery. If the battery is charged and it won't start, it's not because of a battery issue. To me dual batteries are just more connections to corrode and/or cause problems. It's only a 65 HP engine.

asleiman

My 931B uses an 8D battery. If the battery is charged and it won't start, it's not because of a battery issue. To me dual batteries are just more connections to corrode and/or cause problems. It's only a 65 HP engine.
Hi Dave , the reason I went to 2 batteries i found from the starter engineer at Wilson that a safe procedure built into the starter requires 1000 ca this keep the starter from burning. so for me after checking the battery over time will not keep 1000 ca. so simply using 850 ca type batteries without any mod they fit in the box. just mode the cables on any giving time cold etc will always have more that 1000 CA

asleiman

Just to update on the coolant in Oil
installed the radiator and cooler , filled with new coolant. I assumed that the cooler and hose being plugged as it was were the problem.
rained all oil and left the drain plug off and placed a clean container under it. I put pressure test the system tested well , hold pressure did not leak at all. did this for several times on different days leaving the test on from 10 min to 40 min. noticed no coolant leak at all.
Finally yesterday , look at the container there was fresh green antifreeze . the pressure tester was not on. Note: temperature dropped to 24
I started pulling the head will see what kind of surprise.

asleiman

Guys hope everyone had a good safe new year
JUst to update on the D3 B 23 Y. I took the head off to the machine shop. it cleared the pressure test and no cracks.
The block looks really clean. measure the bore in the block. it show no wear. all within standard specs 4.50, top 4.5 bottom 4.503.
still did not find any reasons for the coolant to g in the engine.
short story. taking the engine to shop for refreshing, with new bearing , new style piston ( 3ring) and of course testing for crack. over the weekend strted on it , it should come out anytime.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Looks like someone has been refilling that with creek water every morning. Glad you found a reason for the problems.