• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3B 23Y needed attention

Welder Dave

Are you getting any oil in the clutch compartments? See if there is oil when you take the plugs out of the side by the sprockets. There is a short steel line in the clutch compartment going to the cylinder that could possibly be leaking. If you have oil at there, the line(s) are probably OK.

asleiman

hi Magnet,
here few picture s inside the steering clutches. I suspect the adjusting rod got loose. the piston was out farther than specs20191008_172403.jpg 20191008_172320.jpg 20191008_172352.jpg 20191008_172403.jpg 20191008_172352.jpg 20191008_172320.jpg

asleiman

if you look at the first picture the piston adjusting rod was loose and the lock nuts were loose on both cylinder.
anyway at this point gonna rebuild the cylinders, install, make sure they are adjusted and snug the lock nut.

Attachments

• 20191008_172359.jpg
    20191008_172359.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 20191008_173034.jpg
    20191008_173034.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20191008_173056.jpg
    20191008_173056.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

asleiman

Back on the D3B after long year . In the mean time I had rebuild all hydraulic cylinder , rebuild the steering control and steering cylinder. Put it back together this week . No hydraulic leaks but no steering :(
I ran it could not get the steering cylinder to move . Put pressure gauge on it checking the steering cylinder pressure . no pressure at all
Back to the drawing board.

asleiman

Here are few picture.
Basically used air blower with rubber tip
As you see took out the interconnecting hoses.
Used jic plugs tested the valves one at time for leaks. The right side showed no leak. It pushed piston out. The left side held pressure but would not push the piston.
Took one of plugs out on the same valve. As I pushed the left steering cam the other plug would not seal off. It leaked.

asleiman

All that said
1. We have a control valve leak
2.need to find why is it leaking
3 is my diagnosis correct.that the spool suppose to seal off completely the other inlet

asleiman

Just an update , Took out the steering control valves for inspection. did not find anything suspicious. rebuild them with new seals , made sure the rollers were in good shape. Cleaning the rods thread to make sure i have plenty of adjustment. slow progress

Old Magnet

Seems you may have a leaking spool/housing on one of the valves. They do wear out and I understand it is difficult to get replacements so you may be forced to use a later valve which will require modifications to the control linkage and bracket that mounts the valve.

asleiman

Hello magnet good to hear from you
My apologies for the interruption on working on the dozer. This dozer does not have many hours only 3000 hrs.
mostly it sat and now I am paying for it. my intention to restore it into a good working condition.
1- the oil cooler allowed water in the engine. getting flushed , cleaned and new seals
2- Radiator being checked , cleaned and if necessary repaired
3- steering clutches were rebuild hardly used.
4- Engine start and run real good
Just need to get these bugs out. as far as the control valve just got new seal and rebuild it that appear to make it tighter. you said i other post it can be checked with air pressure. can explain that procedure

Old Magnet

Nothing fancy, using compressed air to check leakage past the spool is less messy than dealing with oil.
Just supply air to the normal oil supply in with other ports open and see/hear what happens. Gauge hook up is optional depending on what you suspect.

asleiman

Hey Magnet,
Got the radiator and oil cooler back today , all tested good . this eliminate the oil cooler as the culprit for the coolant in the engine oil.
Next step on this issue is replacing head gasket.

Welder Dave

There is something that can corrode but I can't remember what. I think it was something aluminum. The shop that did my engine had a D3B in their yard that a customer abandoned. They had to replace something that corroded because it had sat for about a year and a half. They said it's good to start them and let them run every once in awhile even if you're not using them. Just don't idle them for long periods.

asleiman

Welder Dave I agree with you . I had steering issues with This particular machine. I got busy with Family illness . Now I am doing all kind of improvement on it . rebuild all cylinders , line bored blade , new pins. etc. I modified the battery cables to put 2 batteries , this makes it more dependable and start anytime cold or hot.

asleiman

Hello again
Just got back on the machine reinstalled the radiator and oil cooler. Well am gona let the picture speaks20201211_110555_HDR.jpg 20201211_110555_HDR.jpg

asleiman

Found the oil cooler hose was totally blocked.
I had the cooler earned and tested up to 50 psi.
The radiator also cleaned 20201211_102707_HDR.jpg