• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3B 23Y needed attention

asleiman

Nige ,
Great comment thank you for your observation , this afternoon I did just that put a chain over the spring while chasing parts.
Just a question the steel ring or sleeve that goes over the seal I found one cracked , my intuition is to replace it. does have to be replaced

asleiman

D3B Update
Hello all , Rebuild the track adjuster , assembled the track and pump it up all loo looks good,
Got back on the steering clutch , rebuild the control valve just bunch of ring. Today I checked the oil pressure in the steering clutch there is Zero pressure.
Any thoughts?. Just to answer Dave , The Roller are fine

asleiman

Hello Old Magnet
Good to hear from you it has been a while , I checked the strainer on the top right of the transmission. how do you get the bottom strainer. this Dozer is D3B 23 Y 3 F 1 R

Thank you for your support

Old Magnet

What you checked is the pressure filter.
The suction strainer is at the bottom of the transmission case, either a horizontal strainer accessible from a cover plate at the back of the transmission or later models have a vertical strainer behind a cover plate on the bottom of the transmission. Will require draining the transmission.

asleiman

OK great

I will check it in the morning ,
I would like to know how to check the oil pressure properly on this machine. according to the manual , plug the gauge on the side behind the sprocket but there are plugs on top of the trans. one sit by it self on the top right side .
the manual said it has to be taking off it order to check the pressure. is that correct?

Welder Dave

3F/1R trans. has a strainer and 3F/3R uses a filter. 23Y ??? Need rest of serial number to know for sure what it has but my 1986 931B (loader) 25Y1916 has a strainer on the back of the trans. held on by 3 bolts. The test ports are on the side like shown.

asleiman

hi magnet
here are picture of transmission bottom

Attachments

• 20191007_145053.jpg
    20191007_145053.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 20191007_145105.jpg
    20191007_145105.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 20

Old Magnet

I don't have a parts book for the 23Y
What I have shows transmission arrangement 7G6820 and 7G6823
This is the screen used and is typical for the 3F/1R transmission.D3-Trans-strainer.jpg

asleiman

you are right , the arrangement is 7G6822, this screen is the one I cleaned it on the right of the transmission.when I took it out it was dirty , and had metal shaving. today I took out the control valve insured again the roller was good and made sure the spool was clean.

Tomorrow I will install the control with steeriing clutch cover to make sure the slave cylinder if working

asleiman

Great that is it , I cleaned that one
what I wrote above did not make sense
I will install the control valve on top steering clutch with out the cover to observe the slave cylinder in operation

asleiman

20191007_192207.jpg
please look at item c , does it mean it has to be removed in order to check the pressure