• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crown Zellerbach Yellow or Orange Iron

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
RCP...you may be doing more than one P-16 as I still have the project planned.I just have to get a couple of Mustangs finished first....Cory

Haha that sounds good Cory. I know someone else that would be drooling too as long as it had small windows, #116 on the air cleaners and was painted Malloch and Moseley colors. Maybe I can build 3 at once. That should get my blood pressure up! I need to figure out a way to make the diffs faster. That's what keeps me from building another off highway. So many hours of manual machining!

Reg

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Sounds good....I know the diffs are a lot of work.Everything I do is a lot of work.I am still trying to figure out how to make a correct looking I-beam frame.....Cory

RCP could you send me a e-mail.....I have lost your address

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Diamondtguy,I have been getting great assistance from Camptramp as he has been posting my pictures. If he is willing and has any room on his computer,I will seek his aid in posting more. Do you remember how the M&B trucks were able to shift there auxiliaries? I would have to stop.apply truck maxi,put Cotta into neutral,release maxi apply maxi then put Cotta into low. There were 3 buttons on the dash with 3 lites for all.
It will be done, I'm on a roll.LOL

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
RCP57,I talked to one of the last CZ drivers last nite,Larry Wasden about Cattrucks. He remembers someone in US buying one but no deal unless he took all 3. Believe it was a deal if he bought 2 then 3rd was free.

HDX

Last picture Post 246 God I remember that guy and his truck!!! So long ago and a million miles behind us. She always looked like that too. Were those taken at the "Y" over at the Lakes???. Last time I was there --There was a mountain of crushed gravel there and it was a mountain. The Dollies look like new 50-60 tonners 14:00x25 tires whereas the old ones were 36 tonners with 12"00x24 tires. OH yea and the leaf spring's to lift the 5th wheel LOL. Those new ones look like proper Columbia Trailer Dollies with the air bag to lift the 5th wheel. Wonder what ever happened to them?

Blk prince

Occupation
HDX,that driver really appreciates your comments and respects your opinion! Pictures are from our train station on the .nitinat side at bottom of Br35 which is access road to Nan. Lakes. I was pulling those loads to our dump at head of Cowichan Lake. If I turned to the right then the load went up the hill to Lakes.the bottom picture of Post 247 is looking west and if the mountain was gone I would have been able to wave at you.LOL .our dollies came from an operation up the Bulkley Valley. They were easy to pull. We had one man put Dolley under loaded trailer with an old Timberjack that had a air hitch on the blades. He then pulled pins out from the legs and next loaded truck put his load in front,hooked up lines and hitch the pulled second load ahead and it dropped onto Dolley ready for meto take away.manager wanted to have the regular P16s to take a trip in at nite but that cost two rear ends due to our adverse on the mainline.Guess who would have tok go out late and pickup the pieces. Talk later.

HDX

OK then your came from the same place our 6 did Our were X104 X105 X106 and X114 X115 X116. God they were like new and after they painted ours RED they looked like a million bucks. Were originally Columbia Green. Were used one of the old Northwest Bay Division HD's I will post some pics over on the M&B thread when I get a chance Thanx for the info Was great

smartin@kalama.

I believe only about six of those were built, I heard they weren't powerful enough for big wood, and were always blowing hydraulic lines. Neat pictures!

My dad ran one of these for CZ Seaside, drove it down from Seattle brand new! I learned to load using it when I first went to work for CZ in 1971.

smartin@kalama.

My dad ran a TL-5C for Crown Z Seaside division, drove it down the highway from Seattle to Seaside when it was new! I learned to load using it when I went to work for CZ in 1971.

camptramp

Occupation
Blk prince #40-87 P16 Pacific hooked to lowbed with Grapple Yarder #52-12 on board ,Br 46 to camp
#54-47 loader loading #40-79 log truck #52-5 yarding.scan50.jpgscan51.jpgscan52.jpg

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
There is something about that grapple hanging over the cab of the truck that makes me worry. Normally we would lay it in front of the goose neck between the tracks . And it wouldn't be swinging over the cab ,where it could cause problems and violate one one of WCB'S major rules .

Blk prince

Occupation
075,this was back in 1980 so I do not know if there was a ruling then. I did not have a problem with trees or branches,just luck I suppose. Whether out front or rear I was always thinking "what if" as far as the dog on the boom winch let go.had more problems with tower guy lines than anything else,we were able to get straw line out and wrap the lines which did help.

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Ya it looks like in the pictures that you guys did a fine job of getting rid of the trees there lol . I leave my grapple sucked up to the fairlead on the Snorkel when we low bed also. And it is over the push truck when we need one. In Holberg they put the grapple from the snorkel on the deck of the lowbed at the back. But every now and then the reach of the push truck hooks the haulback and drags it off the deck, back at the push truck which makes for some interesting radio chatter from the push truck.

camptramp

Occupation
We use to drop the grapple on the deck of the lowbed ,shackle the main line bite to a lug in the center of lowbed just in front of tires , then unhook haulback from grapple and shackle eye of haulback to mainline ,snug up on haulback and eye slides up mainline to fairlead.The top of the front stakes on the Pacific P16 preloader I drove were about 20 feet off the ground with empty trailer loaded on truck , I pushed the lowbed a lot and can't recall getting tangled up in 075 loading lines.