• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crown Zellerbach Yellow or Orange Iron

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
The hood on that Pacific in Post 224 looks to be unusually long. Was that due to an even bigger engine, such as a 3412?

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
I am guessing that with Blk prince's comments earlier about being asked to drive the Cat truck after the barge rolled over with the Pacific on it that this had a 16V71?

What was it like driving a truck with that big of an engine? and hood for that matter?

Reg

Last edited:

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
Good morning,the 40-87 was the first "super" truck to come to Nitinat. Did have a 16V71,a 60-61 Allison 6 speed automatic with electric shift,a 2 speed Coaat auxilary and the 121 rear diffs. It did go to the bottom when the barge sank. The longer hood was not hard to get used to. Truck also came with twin steering cylinders which gave very easy steering. Also the Cotta was an air shift but worked in conjunction with truck maxis. We had 3 more of these units but all had the 12V92 engine.

HDX

Good to see 40-87 again Been a long time even if just in picture form. I remember seeing those American Loaders for the first time with the long pole's on them(ours were just normal length) and wondering "What If" Johnny Sawatski (6-249) from Caycuse and I would talk about them all the time He also had a great fear of them. AND then one day a barge came into Coleman Dump with only one big old P16 Pacific Truck with the front of the cab all smashed in. Seems the snorkel cap broke off and came back into the front of the cab and modified it somewhat. I HAD pictures of it but they left with the first wife. Seems a divorce did things like that back then. Sour grapes now I guess She left-- with all my pictures and I sure miss them (the pictures) Luckily she took only some albums

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
A 12V92 in a truck. Be still, my heart.

If I was female, I'd be wet. :D

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
That was the total sum of all the P-16's built with the 12V92's as we only built three of them....I do remember them...It was a pretty big deal at the time using 12V92's in a truck....Cory

Blk prince

Occupation
Post #107 shows the first 12V92 with shorter hood and new style air cleaners plus the Cotta auxilary. I do have pics. Of the 40-87 to show at assembly in N.Van.

Blk prince

Occupation
Diamondtguy,I have been getting great assistance from Camptramp as he has been posting my pictures. If he is willing and has any room on his computer,I will seek his aid in posting more. Do you remember how the M&B trucks were able to shift there auxiliaries? I would have to stop.apply truck maxi,put Cotta into neutral,release maxi apply maxi then put Cotta into low. There were 3 buttons on the dash with 3 lites for all.

diamondtguy

Occupation
Hey...I am still drawing a bit of a mental blank on the Cotta transmissions...Kinda bothers me as I am very good at remembering things hopefully some pics will jar my noggin.....Cory

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Hey...I am still drawing a bit of a mental blank on the Cotta transmissions...Kinda bothers me as I am very good at remembering things hopefully some pics will jar my noggin.....Cory

Too many Ford's in your garage. It's messing with your mind! Haha, just kidding.

I'm loving all this info! My next truck build is going to be a P16 so I would love to see more build photos. I think I may build a CZ super truck. I always have liked orange.

diamondtguy

Occupation
RCP...you may be doing more than one P-16 as I still have the project planned.I just have to get a couple of Mustangs finished first....Cory