• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crown Zellerbach Yellow or Orange Iron

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
Nice stuff....nothing like sitting here with a rye and coke looking at pics of a P-16 at work......Cory

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Blk prince CZ 1st. picture Nanaimo Lakes 2nd picture is at Nitinat Shop #40-87 lowbed with grader and rock drill waiting to go to Coleman Dump to catch barge to Kyuoqutscan950.jpgscan951.jpg

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
How many of the Cat trucks were around and when did they disappear? Was there as many of them as the Terex trucks? It seems like they would have had the same issues with size and traction but I have seen a couple Terex trucks in the last few years but never a Cat.

Thanks, Reg

Blk prince

Occupation
Truck driver semi retired
RCP57,those Cat trucks showed up at Nanaimo Lakes in 1973 and 1974. The first one was the yellow one pulling the lowbed 40-67 driver was Jack Judson. The other two 40-68 and 40-69 came a year later. They were used but I am not up on their past. I drove one only out the mainline and it was like driving on left side of road all the time. They had oil cooled brakes and park brake was on the drive-shaft. I was never around a Terex.

Blk prince

Occupation
HDX, I guess we should be on this site. Picture 206 shows a venture loader on a Kenworth. I think that was Hreb Randall's at Nan.Lakes. Nitinat had one venture,Clem Savard and 2 hay racks. Don Kirby Lake Cowichan and a second one with Dan Wickham and Howie Valleaux as partners.

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
RCP57,those Cat trucks showed up at Nanaimo Lakes in 1973 and 1974. The first one was the yellow one pulling the lowbed 40-67 driver was Jack Judson. The other two 40-68 and 40-69 came a year later. They were used but I am not up on their past. I drove one only out the mainline and it was like driving on left side of road all the time. They had oil cooled brakes and park brake was on the drive-shaft. I was never around a Terex.

How long were they around for before they disappeared? Any idea if any of them survived and are lying in someones scrap pile now? I am guessing that they weren't very practical and didn't last long. It's interesting to learn about the oddball trucks and machinery. I have heard that the Terex/Euclid trucks all had traction issues when empty and were very hard on roads when loaded because of the single rear axle setup(our R18 dump truck gets stuck on wet grass empty and sinks out of site when loaded). I have no idea if the latter is true but it seems like it would make sense.

Thanks for the reply!

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
How did the slings on an A frame trip and release when the load hit the water? Was there a strawline involved, or was it rigged to trip itself once the logs began to float?

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
A frames uses what is called Marr Hooks. They are device that you put the knob from the sling that goes under the load into .The one that goes over the load has the Marr Hook attached. When the load is picked up the sling line pulls the knob down in to the Marr Hook. When the load is put into the water the spring pulls the Knob back up and spits it out of the Marr Hook.

Attachments

• crummy crashMarr Hooks 002 (Small).jpg
    crummy crashMarr Hooks 002 (Small).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 676

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
A frames uses what is called Marr Hooks. They are device that you put the knob from the sling that goes under the load into .The one that goes over the load has the Marr Hook attached. When the load is picked up the sling line pulls the knob down in to the Marr Hook. When the load is put into the water the spring pulls the Knob back up and spits it out of the Marr Hook.

Attachments

• crummy crashMarr Hooks 001 (Small).jpg
    crummy crashMarr Hooks 001 (Small).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 669

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Thanks. Makes perfect sense. Adding a straw line to trip the slings would seem like a poor choice in many ways.

Blk prince

Occupation
RCP57,the Cat trucks were still being used in 1980. When our barge sank,the 40-87 and the 40-92 went down and I was asked to take over one of the Cat trucks. I left CZ then went onto the highway. Another driver took the Cat and was lowbedding a brand new American log loader,a miss calculation on a corner saw the loader fall off lowbed before it put out its first load. Cat trucks were good but Pacific and Hayes were better. I will search out some info as to where they ended up. Back then these trucks could go on the highway from 12:00am until 6:00am for moving to different location,a federal offence now.

Blk prince

Occupation
RCP57,first picture in Post 206 shows an early Pacific and a Hayes conventional on either side of a Cat truck. Cats were greedy over how much road they wanted. Very few of our trucks came with A/C back then but a Cat truck had a passenger door with the door hinge at the back. Driver could run with this door open for more air flow.