• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crawlers I photo'd recently.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You can read about the origins here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holt_Manufacturing_Company

The Caterpillar story about the law suit that was on the web has been pulled as far as I can see. The big issue from what I've read came from the invention and use of track type vehicles. The companies were making similar types of equipment and had over lapping designs that sparked expensive legal battles. The depression weakened both companies and the investors apparently forced a merger.

Truck Shop

You can read about the origins here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holt_Manufacturing_Company

The Caterpillar story about the law suit that was on the web has been pulled as far as I can see. The big issue from what I've read came from the invention and use of track type vehicles. The companies were making similar types of equipment and had over lapping designs that sparked expensive legal battles. The depression weakened both companies and the investors apparently forced a merger.
I didn't find much about it. The forced merger is the interesting part. I bet that was a job
getting both to set across the bargaining table .

Truck Shop

Like most things that happened back then, the story is wide, covers many years, encompasses
anybody building anything similar. From what I read the law suits went in many directions.
But the same thing happened in the auto industry at that time although not well documented.
That WiKi article could have been better constructed on strictly the time line of events.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
The origins of all the Crawler Tractor designs boil down to those two concerns, Best and Holt, their innovations and developments to improve farming became the end all for nearly every job needing materials moved.

Truck Shop

Funny thing is talking to a old Cat parts man {he passed away 15 years ago now} Cat sold
more D4 and D6 crawlers in the Palouse stretching from Lexington Or to Spangle Wa than
anywhere else. And not forgetting how many AC and IH crawlers mixed in the same area.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Cat has a DLMS training course that walked through the history pretty well. Unfortunately, I can't get there from here.
The Palouse is a special area for dry land wheat farming. Lots of special ag equipment for harvesting wheat on side hills.

Truck Shop

The Palouse is a special area for dry land wheat farming. Lots of special ag equipment for harvesting wheat on side hills.
The way it's farmed here and no where else, and the concept is different just 10 miles away too.