• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cost of new pickups

cfherrman

The 6.0 is by now a dinosaur for sure. Half of those obnoxious bulletproof jobs are only bulletproof if you are shooting .22's at them . . .

I'd agree with you as there is plenty of "bulletproofed" that really can only stop a bullet.

I wouldn't call it a dinosaur though, has modern injectors, injectors control, automatic trans and turbo, based on that I'd call the 7.3 a dinosaur because the auto trans and turbo are lacking.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Same around here but they are thinning. Fuel cost, rust, price of repairs, fad, etc. is catching up or running it's course.

No rust to speak of here to take them off the road.. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
The documents also confirmed that the IH version of the engine was pretty good. Ford made changes due to the power upgrades of the other guys. then expected IH to stand behind the engine. The IH version didn't make the power that the Ford version did, but was a good, serviceable engine. I think your really drinking the Koolaide if you call the 6.0 a great engine. Acknowledging that you have to try and fix it first, then it runs...and becomes a "great engine". Obviously if it was great, you just drive it, you don't have to fix it first and the companies that brought it to market, don't spend a Billion dollars fighting over the cost to pay for warranty issues. The only engine that may challenge the 6.0 as the worst modern day (year 2000 and newer) diesel engine is the 6.4. Another absolute mess. Ford coming off the 7.3 which arguably one of the best diesel engines put in a pickup, kicked the can twice there after. Obviously Ford built their own after that, which have been good overall.
Yep, IH had it down, they even improved things with the ole' Maxxforce . . .

The 6.0 can be built into a fine engine. There are a lot of people who don't know that, don't know how to do it, whatever. Mine has 275,000 miles, I know of several that are past 400k. Nobody is saying they shipped from Ford as something great.

Now the 6.4, there isn't much to be done with that.

cfherrman

Later 7.3 auto trans are fine. The turbo is fine, it shoves air into the engine where it belongs.
It's just a turbo hence not a "modern" turbo with vgt and turbine brake capability, and severely puts the 7.3 behind the other engines that have vgt turbos. With the trans not having the proper toe/haul like the 5r110 does in pair with the vgt turbo exhaust brake ability severely limits the 7.3 as well.

The 7.3 can have either 2, 4, or 6 injection events I can't recall specifically, so if you pair it up with a proper tune and a vgt turbo with a controller for the vgt actuator it would be quite a different engine and much more in line with the other power stroke engines with power.

The 6.0 has something like 2 more injection events over the 7.3, I think it's 6, and is capable of pilot injection, but still needs glow plugs for starting.

Welder Dave

I got rear ended at a light . The person that hit me said i was backing up .I got a bad lawyer never got anything for my totaled car. Most people dont realize when something happens your on your own there is nothing saying you will get anything. Anther time i payed to learned a lessen .
Did you have collision insurance? If so your insurance company would have represented you and fought hard it was the other persons fault. It's a real stretch to claim someone backed up at a stop light so you must have had a useless lawyer. The guy that hit me claimed he didn't notice the light changed until the last second. He should have seen I was stopped. I was stopped for probably 5 seconds when he hit me so I'm pretty sure he was doing something with his phone. I had his insurance info in case he tried to get out of paying the body shop.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
It's just a turbo hence not a "modern" turbo with vgt and turbine brake capability, and severely puts the 7.3 behind the other engines that have vgt turbos. With the trans not having the proper toe/haul like the 5r110 does in pair with the vgt turbo exhaust brake ability severely limits the 7.3 as well.

The 7.3 can have either 2, 4, or 6 injection events I can't recall specifically, so if you pair it up with a proper tune and a vgt turbo with a controller for the vgt actuator it would be quite a different engine and much more in line with the other power stroke engines with power.

The 6.0 has something like 2 more injection events over the 7.3, I think it's 6, and is capable of pilot injection, but still needs glow plugs for starting.
IIRC not many 7.3s had multiple injection events, and those that did, were troublesome. But that is a lot of years ago, and I never need to mess with mine or care.

The EBPV can be wired for an exhaust brake but I never bothered. The 4R100 has "manual tow haul mode", you know the lever on the column, push the button on the end or move it to the 2 or 1 as necessary, works fine.

My other one has a stick shift.

I run hills steeper than 90% of the members on here, but I also do not tow billy big rigger loads behind my old 7.3. I pick up the phone when I need that done.

I bet my old 7.3s will still be running when the current crop of 6.7s is in the scrap bin, too expensive to repair for the 48th time.

mekanik

In 1992 after a divorce and managing to start over I bought a modest home for $65,000. It was old and run down but it had a lot of potential. The neighbour's brother and wife came to visit him with their 5th wheel and new Ford truck. The neighbour's brother pointed at his new truck ans said "I just paid $65,000 for that truck" I pointed at my house and said " I just paid $65,000 for that house". The house sold again for $250,000 three years ago. The $65,000 truck if it's still running is probably worth $1500.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
In 1992 after a divorce and managing to start over I bought a modest home for $65,000. It was old and run down but it had a lot of potential. The neighbour's brother and wife came to visit him with their 5th wheel and new Ford truck. The neighbour's brother pointed at his new truck ans said "I just paid $65,000 for that truck" I pointed at my house and said " I just paid $65,000 for that house". The house sold again for $250,000 three years ago. The $65,000 truck if it's still running is probably worth $1500.

What kind of pickup could you find to spend $65,000 on in 1992?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Bought a used 5th wheel in 98 far a place to stay near the plant during refuels and bad weather. Was a 92 and already in a RV camp lot.

Was tiny by todays standards and pretty shoddy construct paid $1500 and $45 a month lot rental plus electric. Sold it in 2000 for $1500 but delivered it to new owner close to 80 miles away.

Old Doug

Did you have collision insurance? If so your insurance company would have represented you and fought hard it was the other persons fault. It's a real stretch to claim someone backed up at a stop light so you must have had a useless lawyer. The guy that hit me claimed he didn't notice the light changed until the last second. He should have seen I was stopped. I was stopped for probably 5 seconds when he hit me so I'm pretty sure he was doing something with his phone. I had his insurance info in case he tried to get out of paying the body shop.
I just had liability insurance if my insurance would have went to bat for me things would have turned around. The lawyer i had was worthless he drug it out then stopped working on it. The police there didnt want to help. My car hit the car in front of me i tried to get them to go after my insurance to fix that car buy they didnt want to. I worked and spent some time trying to get things to go my way. I tried to get the person that hit my car to get my insurance to pay for there repairs .The lawyer did get the insurance company to agree it wasnt my fault. I thought and tried to take the person to small clams court but that was a mess. In the end my car was worth maybe $3000.00 and it would have taken $3000.00 to get it. learned alot if your in a wreck you need to make it your number one deal and ride every one into the ground .

Welder Dave

Why would you want your insurance to pay for anything when you weren't at fault? The only way they might try to hold you at fault is that you hit the car in front of you. However if you were stopped at a light and it was a chain reaction from you being rear ended should put the blame fully on the person that hit you. If you were moving then they'd try to claim you were following too close but stopped at a light is totally different. The whole thing sounds messed up.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was in a Private parking lot, went to back out and came to a stop, Guy running a little disengaged ran across the BACK of my STOPPED Pickup where Had witness to that. Go to HIS adjuster for estimate, he TRIES to take photo of my rear damage from alongside the truck, had to take BY THE HAND to the BACK of the truck and take photo. He tried to write it up as I was backing THRU the yard, was standing still and as such sent a letter of Non Responsibility. So I called him told him to retract said statement or next call would be attorney, he laughed I hung up. He called back two days later asked where to send the check as MY attorney had notified him of Pending legal actions, explained could NOT Speak TO Him, he needed to contact MY Attorney and work out details. Seven days later in the Adjuster's Office I received a Check including Pain and Suffering moneys. Looked him straight on, said would have been far more reasonable had he NOT tried to cheat me. HE had to pay my Attorney Fees BTW.

It does pay to have a EVIL Little man with a Law Degree on retainer. He also did our taxes until retired.

Welder Dave

Just a little info and knowledge can be deadly. I've mentioned it before but an oil change place tried to scam me on a coupon for an oil change and filter. When done they tried to charge me an extra $5 or so because it was more than 4 litres. I said it doesn't state anything on the coupon about a 4 litre limit. Then they said they would let it go... this time. It's false advertising. I knew this because a lawyer did something similar regarding a car wash coupon. Any limits or conditions have to be clearly stated to be enforceable.