• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cost of new pickups

Welder Dave

I didn't read the whole thread but think there are some things that don't make sense. They are giving tickets for distracted driving and even just having your phone charging from the vehicle center console. How is a giant 15 inch or bigger screen in the middle of the dash not a distraction when driving? I think there is price gouging in a lot of things including vehicles. Ford is apparently trying to do something about it. Good for them. There's also stupid people that will pay ridiculous prices for certain name brands. Canada Goose jackets may be the best and have a lifetime warranty but they should for $1200 and up. A basic torque with a Canada Goose emblem is $100! Only someone with more money than brains would pay $100 for a torque. A classic example of price gouging, when the gov't. actually stepped in was concerning Epi pens. Company had a new CEO that figured they could just raise the price about 3 times higher than it was and make record profits. The BIG issue is that people can die without their Epi pen and not everyone that needs one could afford them. 3 of the leading grocery suppliers in Canada recently agreed to speak in the House of Commons over concerns of price gouging. While grocery prices are at record high prices the leader of the NDP came across as an idiot to me. He seemed to think a huge company like Loblaws (the largest) should somehow have a cap on their profits. 50% of Loblaws increased profit came from other sources than groceries, mostly from financial offerings. If a company adds more stores or services they obviously should expect to make more profits.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
A huge money saver for all would be for this idiotic yearly changing of vehicles to stop. Just keep everything the same for 10 years or so. Look at all the savings from not having to redesign tooling etc.

No thanks. I like the excitement of a new model with new features and most importantly that new truck smell. Life is short - gotta enjoy it as it flies by. :D

Tyler d4c

Automotive styling went down the sewer starting in 1960, and never recovered.
This is a generational opinion. For example the 99 to 07 ford super dutys u really like the styling. And as far as I'm concerned any thing prior to 85 or so may as well be crushed. (Speaking ford pick up here)

chidog

Speaking of price gouging. There is no excuse to raise the price of everything in a grocery store to what it is now. Even if the fuel prices went up, you figure the quantity of product hauled, and that will only increase the cost of said product pennys, not dollars. But then the stores are trying to recover the hazard pay for the employees that worked there during the lock downs, that I think they still get.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
1930's cars along with post war into the late 1950' were classic in both appearance and appeal.

I think 1973 with the advent of the 5mph impact bumpers did automotive "styling" in and down for the count. There were still some pretty decent looking cars and trucks into the early 70's IMO.

Welder Dave

If stores have to pay higher to buy certain items because of no fault of their own, should they be expected to lower their margins is what's at issue. The head of Loblaws said they make $1.00 profit on a $25.00 bag of groceries and they are typically lower priced than Safeway or Sobey's which are under the same owner. He said they should be able to make reasonable profits. The reason they have higher profits is because they sell more. I don't like the prices of groceries but I don't think a company should be punished for being more successful. If somebody had a construction business should they have to scale back their profits because they got busier? If so there's no incentive to seek out more work. The idea of having a business is to make money after all. That said Loblaws was guilty of price fixing bread a few years ago but it was confined just to a certain brand of bread. I think the parent of Loblaws owns or is related to the bakery that makes the bread. They were fined over it. I didn't think much of the head of Loblaws at first but listening to him in the house of Commons I was rather impressed. He was very articulate. The head of the NDP asked if he'd respond to a couple thousand letters he had. He said he'd be happy to look at them. That was hood enough. Will you respond to all of them. We have just as many letters and we try to respond to as much of them as we can but we will be happy to look at your letters. I thought it was a pretty reasonable response without knowing the context of every one of the letters.

Last edited:

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Want to know why your pick up costs more, look at the burger flippers wages. You thought the $15 an hour minimum wage was going to just affect them and the restaurant :rolleyes:

While we are on this rant, don't talk to me about building correct structures for where you live equals more homeless or homelessness in itself and all this BS of why we got homeless, I built all this from living on the streets to where I am now at 42 years old... mic drop, Spud_Monkey out....

Welder Dave

Some people are much better at adapting to lower income than others. My dad used say that some business owners would go into a deep depression if their business failed and think it was above them to go work for someone else. The same as people who had a higher paying position and were now out of work. There is no shame in going to work for someone else at a lower position or pay. You need to do what you need to do. Sometimes a little luck and being in the right place at the right time.

Last edited:

Drag racer

I'm
Arse end would wag like a dog tail while sinking trying to climb a 25 plus degree ridge. Needs to have a front axle to help pull it up. I need to go take a picture today or tomorrow. Though I am watching that particular one on eBay right now to put in my front rear axle, it even needs help.

Any front end is better than the new Chevys...... yuk
See more Chevys than Fords in my area wonder why?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member

Yes, that is when they started thinking cars should look like bricks instead of cars.

05-07 super duty's best looking truck out there

I think the 61-66 Fords were the best. 66 had the best grille. 1990s up through 1997 second best. 1970s and 1980s ugly, everything 1999 on up face only a mother could love. Each revision successively worse to where it looks like a plastic kid's toy now.

Some models of Tesla car are just good looking, they look like an actual classic car and not a bug eyed alien.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Yeah, don't ship them much of any product to sell because cant/wont build enough of them, then punish them for trying to make extra profit on the few they do get shipped.

Remember if you prohibit dealers from marking up then a flipper will just do it and pocket the profit himself.

Welder Dave

I like the grill on my 2015 XTR model F150. It and the black version on the Sport model just have a series of parallel bars across the front. The grills on the other models especially the higher end models are way too much chrome and look hideous to me. The Chevy grills from the same period are also just way too much chrome and over-styled for lack of a better term. A lot of newer models of trucks are the same way. The newest Fords are better but it still seems the higher the trim level the uglier the grill and over use of chrome. Just my opinion though not trying trying to knock anybodies preference for styling. I didn't mind the 78/79 Ford grills and liked that body style much better than the 80's style that replaced them. I'm hoping the aluminum body on my truck holds up as long as the powertrain. If you look after a vehicle it usually rusts and becomes an eyesore long before the powertrain is worn out. I'm planning on keeping my truck for 15 years or more at which point it's more than paid for itself. It has a lot of features I like, like the tailgate step, tire pressure monitor, back up camera and sensors and integrated trailer brake control. It's sure to nice to hear a beep before you hit something. Partners car has a camera and lines to indicate distance but doesn't beep. Camera is useless if it's dirty or has ice on it.

Welder Dave

Yes, that is when they started thinking cars should look like bricks instead of cars.

I think the 61-66 Fords were the best. 66 had the best grille. 1990s up through 1997 second best. 1970s and 1980s ugly, everything 1999 on up face only a mother could love. Each revision successively worse to where it looks like a plastic kid's toy now.

Some models of Tesla car are just good looking, they look like an actual classic car and not a bug eyed alien.
Since this thread is concerning trucks, Tesla really missed the mark on their truck and their semi truck. Couldn't be more fugly if they tried. Parked beside a model S and it looked OK but seems having the screen to see your speed and other things in the middle instead of right in front of you could distract your vision on the left some.

chidog

1930's cars along with post war into the late 1950' were classic in both appearance and appeal.

I think 1973 with the advent of the 5mph impact bumpers did automotive "styling" in and down for the count. There were still some pretty decent looking cars and trucks into the early 70's IMO.
Yeah yeah yeah, all the manufactures had to do is say, if you don't like what we do with our designs we are all shutting down. If all auto makers stuck together the nonsense would end.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Yeah yeah yeah, all the manufactures had to do is say, if you don't like what we do with our designs we are all shutting down. If all auto makers stuck together the nonsense would end.

Hardly. This is shareholder driven industry partially controlled by the govt. with mandates, and heavy lobbying by the insurance industry to the govt. that issues mandates. Shareholders are in for the profit and if a manufacture cannot sell product, there is/are no shareholder dividend(s), no profit to continue and invest with, and the machine ceases to function as the shareholders exit taking their investment capital with them for other prospects.

No disrespect meant but it is the way it works. Most shareholders have stock in more than one manufacturer of automobiles to stay on topic. Seen it myself numerous times. A diversified portfolio is much better than the highs and lows of the single investment strategy where one dive in the market can wipe out several gains.

Welder Dave

I like that I drive a truck with seperate bumpers from the body. Still not nearly as tough as the old truck bumpers but saves the body in an accident. The new cars have about a 2 mph bumper and a crumple zone with stiff foam but the slightest bump costs a lot more to repair. Not uncommon to see cars with pushed in bumpers or a bunch of the bumper broken away showing the foam.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sadly Dave, anything newer than late 90s has a Impact Crumple design Frame, "Impact Absorbing" where any frontal impact above roughly 10-15mph the frames junk and machines total, sheet metal crumples like cheap tin foil.