• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cordless grease guns

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Anyone has a pic or a link to one of those cordless grease guns?

Maybe try Lincoln directly for a website or information on these guns. I've been using them since they came out just about, and they are great. I don't know about battery life expectancy as I don't own one personally. They do save a ton of time, and the biggest kicker is you have one free hand to hold pressure on to the tip for the hard-to-take-grease fittings.

trex2

I have the Lincoln 14.4. I figure its already paid for itself by freeing up a few plugged grease fittings that would not respond to a manual gun. It alleviates the wish for a "third hand" when using a manual gun. It also seems to waste less grease because I always pump the full stroke on a manual gun (bad habit).

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I have a question; Can you bulk fill/pump these cordless guns...apart from packing them by hand. My manual gun I can fill by placing the bleed nozzle on the 10 gallon pump and filling...no cartridges = 1/2 the price for grease.

PSDF350

I have a question; Can you bulk fill/pump these cordless guns...apart from packing them by hand. My manual gun I can fill by placing the bleed nozzle on the 10 gallon pump and filling...no cartridges = 1/2 the price for grease.

Yes you can bulk fill them. Never have, so dont know how. But remember instructions saying you can.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I had one of these grease guns and never could seem to get it to operate right.:Banghead It worked great for a few months but then it would not seem to prime. Another issue was dead batteries and having an electrical source on a grading job to recharge them.

We now have a 120lb grease keg with an air operated graco pump and reelcraft hose reel on my service truck, which in my opinion is far more superior and the cheapest cost. I am actually in the process of setting up another one on my F450 flatbed. An air compressor, grease keg and hose reels are invaluable for daily maintenance - even for the smallest contractor.

My fuel supplier is also my grease supplier and they supply the grease keg and all appurtences for no charge - of course I buy alot of fuel, grease and oil from them both on and off-road.

I would say if you are running 3 or more pieces of equipment an air operated grease keg is the way to go. You also get the benefit of the compressor for blowing out cabs, a/c filters and air filters plus the ability to run an impact wrench.

Just my $.02

atgreene

I bulk fill my standard grease gun from a 5 gallon pail. Works good, but I had to find the # for napa to get the right connection. A buddy of mine has worked heavy equipment there for 20 + years and had never had to order one for anyone. I always kid him about asking for items he had never heard of before, and I did it up good on this one.

I need to break-down and buy another cordless, but after the issues my other one had, the manual one with a pipe instead of the hose works great for the excavator.

pushcat

I'll stick with my old lever grease gun. We had one in the shop once, battery always died, spare never charged, hard to get primed, but here's the kicker.
Late last summer I was servicing an excavator in the shop. I noticed the track was a little saggy so I opened it up and used the cordless gun to pump it up. I pump and pump and the track doesn't move. I figure maybe the gun doesn't have enough pressure so I just use my trusty old manual gun and pump it right up. Now last winter we have a laborer servicing the trucks. I tell him to make sure to crawl underneath and grease the drivetrain, brake assemblys and everything that has a zerk. I'm not really paying attention because I'm working on the equipment. I'm using my old gun and notice that every time I go to the bin and grab a tube of grease, the stock isn't dwindling much, but I don't think much about it. Anyhoo, sometime in March I pull a bucket off an excavator to replace some bushings and after I put it back together decided to use the cordless because I didn't feel like pumping about two tubes in there manually. I pull the lever to see how much grease is in it and to my suprise it's almost full. So I pump and pump till the battery dies,(of course) grab the charged one(amazing), and pump some more. After a while I pull the lever back to see if I'm about empty and huh? Still full. Pull the gun off the zerk and push the button, no grease coming out the hose. It sounded like it was pumping, but it wasn't. I asked the guys how long it had been since they put a new tube of grease in it. No one could remember. I figure that gun hadn't worked for at least six months. If it didn't cost so much I would have chucked that damn thing in the dumpster. Last I knew they took it back to where it was bought but I'm sure the warranty was off by then.

mowerman

I wouldn't let my powered gun go for twice what I paid. The bottom line is if it is me using it, I rechargeable power is fine. If I had a fleet with a bunch of mechanics, then I would use a keg with air power.

cat d9

Occupation
manager and general FO in general
I had a Lincoln 12v gun last year, it always had a dead battery, 1 tube of grease and it was done, I gave it away. I bought a new Alemite 14.4v gun this spring, it will pump out 8 tubes or better on one battery, it pumps faster than the Lincoln ever did and I have no trouble getting it to prime. I have had the batteries replaced inside the battery pack on several Lincolns, I send them to the Interstate Battery store in Farg and get them back in 2 days for $40 per battery. I am so impressed with the Alemite that I wouldn't consider anything else, I go through at least three tubes of grease a day and to do that by hand would take so long and play me out so bad I would have to take the rest of the day off, there is no substitute for grease at the right time in the right quanity if you want to have your equipment last. Spend the money and buy an Alemite 14.4v gun and prepare to be well satisfied with it being money well spent.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I have two 12v and a 14.4v all three are Lincoln. The two 12's are broke. The 14 works good. I will try and find the Alemite I want a second one (that works). I put an inverter in my trucks so that I can charge the grease gun and laser batteries, that also is a life saver if you depend on the cordless grease gun. I am sure air is much better that the cordless, for me other than the shop air really is not an option. The help really likes the cordless so I think they are doing a better job. We sure go through the grease.

jrtraderny

I'll second the motion on the alemite 14.4 volt, had a lincoln before and it was junk. Got the alemite and it works great!!
jr

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF possum300d! :drinkup

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
Push Cat,
Don't suppose the pull off top was still on the tube of grease?
One rather cold morning a guy helping me could not get the lincoln 12v to prime.
After some time of fighting it we discovered the pull off end was still on the tube of grease.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I watched that happen once. This is where I would like to say it was my help. However in the interest of full disclosure, it was me.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Push Cat,
Don't suppose the pull off top was still on the tube of grease?
One rather cold morning a guy helping me could not get the lincoln 12v to prime.
After some time of fighting it we discovered the pull off end was still on the tube of grease.

I did that once, could not figure out why in the world it would not prime. Finally said heck on it and unscrewed it, then I felt like a idiot to see the pull tab still on the tube of grease.

Steele

I had the Lincoln 12 volt for about 2 1/2 years, worked flawlessly until the motor burned out.

I now use a Lincoln 1163 Air Operated Grease Gun. Only trouble I've experienced with the Lincoln air gun is the trigger stuck on, could not get it unstuck. Took it to a local Lincoln service center and they replaced it no questions asked with a brand new gun.

I actually have an extra one of these guns, brand new. Bought it for a fellow employee but he went and bought one himself after asking me to order one for him. I think I paid $90.00 for it with shipping. If interested it's on Ebay currently:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=320185926061&rd=1