• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cmark's random photo thread

Welder Dave

Are those aftermarket heat shields on the turbo and I assume the muffler? Did the screen stop the sand from causing major damage?

Cmark

Makes me wonder if the Dessicant package did not explode in the receiver.
I initially considered this, but this particular system doesn't have a receiver-dryer.
Somebody left an a/c line open for a few days and a whirlwind went past?
That leans towards my best theory. The machine has recently had a sandblast and five-gallon overhaul. Customer claims the A/C wasn't worked on at the time, but I have my doubts.
Are those aftermarket heat shields on the turbo and I assume the muffler? Did the screen stop the sand from causing major damage?
Not sure about the laggings. I had a quick look in SIS and can't see them, so yes, they may be aftermarket.

The screen on the orifice tube undoubtedly kept the sand from getting to the compressor. I cleaned out the line from the condenser to the evaporator and got a load of sand out of that. There didn't seem to be any in the condenser though.

Cmark

Yes, fair enough. It does have a receiver dryer in the suction line to the compressor. I used the wrong terminology.

What I was referring to was the standard Cat inline dryer which can dump dessicant into the evaporator if it fails and what this machine doesn't have.

1696549305582.png

ih100

Excellent thread, Cmark. I’ve just come back after over a year - no reason, just kept forgetting to tune in. Going back a bit we recently bought a 6v-8020 specifically to strip CTL finals. There’s a nut in there needs torquing to around 3400Nm. A regular thing for us is counterweight removal and on a 320 I use a 4:1 and to be honest we’ve never had too much trouble, just accept that it’s a three man job for a quarter of an hour to torque four bolts, which is all good if there’s three people about.

love seeing your work. I didn’t realise how much the pump set up on a 963 changed between the C’s and D’s/K’s. I did the implement pump on a K and lifted it out through the cab floor which I think you’d struggle to do on a C by the looks. It had a disintegrated swashplate pivot.

ippielb

Hey Cmark, what do you do when the cylinders of starting aid/ether are seized onto the threads of the adapters? Both the one on my 973c and the champion 740a grader are stuck on there. The threads aren't reverse threaded like a propane tank are they?

Welder Dave

Hey Cmark, what do you do when the cylinders of starting aid/ether are seized onto the threads of the adapters? Both the one on my 973c and the champion 740a grader are stuck on there. The threads aren't reverse threaded like a propane tank are they?
All the spin on ether cans I've seen are standard right hand thread the same as the disposable propane cylinders. Have you tried a strap wrench?

Cmark

Wow. It's been over 20 years since I worked anywhere cold enough to need ether. I'm pretty sure they're RH thread but I could be wrong. I suppose the first thing to do would be to carefully drill a hole in the can to let any ether go, then attack it with pipe wrenches etc.

ippielb

All the spin on ether cans I've seen are standard right hand thread the same as the disposable propane cylinders. Have you tried a strap wrench?
I went at it with filter wrench, and crushed the cylinder and spun the adapter, so grabbed onto the adapter with channel locks and thought i was an idiot if the thing was backwards threaded. I don't got the strength i use to, pretty bad to say that when im 32, but my back has made a wimp out of me once again.
Wow. It's been over 20 years since I worked anywhere cold enough to need ether. I'm pretty sure they're RH thread but I could be wrong. I suppose the first thing to do would be to carefully drill a hole in the can to let any ether go, then attack it with pipe wrenches etc.
Must be nice not to need ether lol. I'm sure the can is completely empty, i was using the crap out of it last winter. Every morning for 4 weeks straight, and im sure it ran out within the first week last winter. Placebo ether.

Welder Dave

It is right hand thread. Maybe some penetrating oil and heat if the canister has been destroyed. Can you take the assembly off and let it soak in pentrating oil?

My back really limits what I can do. It aches if I'm on my feet or too long. My spine is glued together with bone cement but the aching is in the sides of my back. I don't try to lift anything very heavy.

Last edited:

Cmark

Cat had an ongoing problem with their M series wheeled excavators radiator hoses failing at a vulcanised joint. At the time, there was a worldwide shortage of these particular parts. My customer was running several of these machines, and even though they were still under warranty, it was enough to justify me fabricating a small quantity of repair sections to keep them running.

M series duck hose mod 1.jpgM series duck hose mod 2.jpg