• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar serial number/ year model

Bluox

Check the old turbo for a tag, should have names and numbers on it that will help in a search for another one.
Bob

Bahodur

Dear Nige,
Thank you for the quick response.

What about the built year of CAT 349 DL? NNF00512 and NNF00487?
Thank you again for your help

TRAMSUR

Greetings everyone!
I'm trying to buy a CATERPILLAR 320EL but I'm not so sure about the year model, its PIN is CAT0320ECSXE00188. Can anyone help me with the exact year model? Also, does anyone know a website or book in which I can check all the serials/PIN year models from distinct machineries?
Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have a red flag warning on it. My sources show that serial number series starts at 193 so my thoughts go to gray market machine. The Miami location of the OP I know is a major port where these machines are brought in.

I would suggest a call to a local Cat dealer to check on parts and service support before purchasing the machine.

TRAMSUR

Thank you @Nige for your soon response, I'll get a picture for sure.
Also, thank you @John C. for that indication, I'll double check before buying it.
By the way, do you know any website or book that you can suggest me in which I can check year models from machineries? The thing is that I usually import machineries to Ecuador, but there is a restriction based on a 15 latest model year in order to do the customs clearance

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
By the way, do you know any website or book that you can suggest me in which I can check year models from machineries?
Nothing that I know of, sorry.
While you are getting photos of the PIN plate get some of the complete machine as well. There have been instances where "Cat" machines were being offered for sale that were not even Cat but some Chinese knock-off........!!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
My business subscribes to a service called Top Bid for access to their internet data base. I'm told that nearly all the manufacturers are using the Vin codes that are commonly used on cars now days. I think it used to be the tenth digit in that code that denotes the year of manufacture. Some makes register machine models by year of first sale so you have to be careful about using that.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
On Cat machines the last 8 characters of the 17-character PIN are the Serial Number. The character immediately prior to that is a randomly-generated “check character” allegedly put there to make falsifying PIN plates more difficult. AFAIK only the factory carries information regarding what that character is on any given machine.