• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat D6N LGP (2006)

GODSDOZER

Occupation
Dirt Contractor
Had some time this evening to get back out to the tractor. Got the tracks back on and ready for a welder to come weld a temporary pin in just to get it on a trailer back to my yard.

I also pulled the error codes, I do not know if all of them are current ( I am not sure how to figure that out).

030 0600.04

114 2235.05

113 0070.02

036 0164.11

Is that enough codes ? LOL

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
If you watch the video you will see the monitor will show servcode when one is active.

GODSDOZER

Occupation
Dirt Contractor
John , thank you very much that helped. Now I understand. I don't have that clicker box (but I will get one if I need it).

Here are the active codes:

114 2114.03
114 0875.03
114 0874.03

113 0168.04
113 0177.03
113 0622.02

Is there a book I can buy to identify the codes ? a online download ect ?

If yall know if these codes are a major problem or something minor would help.

Again John, thanks a lot.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I have an old file with all the Cat codes. If you send me your email address in a message I'll send the file to you. Cat keeps coming up with new codes so I can't guarantee it will have all of what you show.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
A link to the Click Box thread - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/the-famous-cat-click-box.72956/
As a temporary thing you can actually erase all the Codes that are not Active using no more than a couple of pieces of wire, although the Click Box makes it a lot easier - see below

You need to refer to the Click Box thread, because your two pieces of wire are going to be used as a McGiver'd replacement for the Click Box. Your attention is specifically drawn to the diagram in post #16 on Page 1 where I tried to explain how the Click Box interacts with the machine electrical system. Forget the Click Box part for now and concentrate on the wiring between the "Caterpillar Monitor System" and the "Monitor Service Connector" (MSC), a 4 pin Deustch connector with male pins in it.....
The machine connector looks like the one in the photo. The two gold pins next to it are typical of the pins you'll find inside it. The mating sockets to those pins are like the one shown installed on the twisted end of the wire. Using them makes it easier to connect the wires.

Strip both ends of the two pieces of wire. Twist one end of piece together to form what looks like a chicken wishbone common at one end and with two separate ends at the other. Crimp a Deutsch female connector pin to each of the bare ends. I would make the wires longer than shown in the photo. I just knocked that up to illustrate what the assembly looks like.

upload_2019-9-28_5-55-33.png

This is what you do: -
1. To access the system in order to clear the Logged ones the Monitor Panel has to be put into Service Mode, so we're trying to duplicate the Click Box procedure of grounding both the Scroll and the Clear contacts of the Monitor System at the same time. This is what the Mode switch does if you look at the wiring diagram.
2. Connect one of the separate ends of the cable to Pin #1 (wire #290) of the MSC, and connect the other one to Pin #2 (wire #291) of the MSC. (The connector pin numbers are stamped on the back of it. I always use the Wire Numbers though, just to be sure.)
3. Turn the key on and let the panel do the self-test. Connect the common end of the wire assembly to Pin #4 (wire #200) of the MSC. The display panel should show -0- which will then change every couple of seconds to -1-, -2-, etc.
4. When the display shows -3- remove the wire from Pin #4. The -3- should disappear and the first of the list of Diagnostic Codes should appear. Be aware that every Code is displayed in two steps. The first is the module recording the Code (e.g. 030 or 113), the second is the Code itself (096F03, 248F01, etc.), so even though the display will change to show one after the other on an endless loop it's all really one Code that you are seeing.
5. If the first displayed Code is Logged, you can clear it - go to the next Step. If it is Active you will have to Scroll to the next Code on the list - go to Step 7.
6. Remove the wire from Pin #1 of the MSC, leaving only the wire connected to Pin # 2. Then touch the common end (that you previously removed from Pin #4) briefly back to Pin #4 which will ground the Clear connector of the MSC. The Code should disappear and when it does it should be replaced by the next Code on the list. Continue clearing until a message END or three dashes --- appears. This indicates that you have reached the end of the list of Codes in the Monitor.
7. To Scroll to the next Code in the event of coming across a Code that is Active, remove the wire from Pin #2. Connect a single end of your wire assembly to Pin #1. Briefly touch the common end of the wire assembly to Pin #4. The current displayed Code should scroll to the next Code in the list. Be careful, if two consecutive Codes are the same module (e.g. 030) you might think it hasn't scrolled. Give the new Code a couple of seconds to display completely before deciding whether it has scrolled to the next Code or not.
8. To summarize. If you clear a Logged Code the next Code on the list will automatically appear. If the next Code is Active you will need to Scroll the list in order to get to the next Logged Code.
9. There is nothing at all to stop you going through the Code list twice or even a dozen times if the mood takes you.
10. Once you finish clearing Codes the Monitor has to be put back to the Operating Mode again. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 above but obviously forget the first bit because your power is already on. The display will start at -3- and go upwards through each Mode in turn. I'm not sure how many Modes your particular Monitor has, it may be as many as 10, but no problem. Keep at it until it shows -0- again remove the wire from Pin #4 and you're done. The display should then return to the normal Operating Mode that you had before you started. Remove your wire assembly and put it somewhere safe. You are going to need it again once you've done some electrical repairs.

Reactions: DB2

Nige

Here's what your Active Codes indicate: -

114 2114.03 - Accugrade Trigger Switch - incorrect signal.
114 0875.03 - Accugrade Manual Select Switch - incorrect signal.
114 0874.03 - Accugrade Auto Select Switch - incorrect signal.
I didn't look too closely at the photos but I don't recall seeing anything obvious related to Accugrade on the machine, yet according to the system it was built with it - 233-0272 Grade Control Arrangement, Laser.

113 0168.04 - System Voltage Lower than 21.3V (If the voltage drops below 18V, the brakes will apply)
113 0177.03 - Transmission Oil Temperature Sensor - Voltage Above Normal
113 0622.02 - Transmission Upshift Switch. (This switch has two inputs to the ECM. The inputs are Normally Open and Normally Closed. During normal operation, one of the inputs is open and the other input is grounded. A failure is detected when both inputs are in the same state at the same time. The transmission will fail to upshift when the upshift switch is pressed.)

There will be specific diagnostic procedures available for troubleshooting the above. Shout out when you need them.

Last edited:

GODSDOZER

Occupation
Dirt Contractor
Nige, after reading Johns response last night I actually came across the thread you started about the clicker box. To be honest, that thread is way above my pay grade.

In regards to the active code you have given me I agree with the accugrade comments. I haven't seen anything on the tractor that would indicate accugrade . On the low voltage code...……………...I put brand new batteries on the tractor because it didn't have any batteries when I bought it. The old owner took them and used them on another machine he owns. If I bought the wrong size batteries would that cause that fault code ? Or does that code not have anything to do with a battery. Maybe the alternator not functioning properly ?

One last question, do you know the actual battery size required for this machine.

Thanks for all yalls help, very much appreciated.

GODSDOZER

Occupation
Dirt Contractor
Oh, one more thing. You are correct about the shifting. The dozer does not shift into other gears. If I remember it is stuck in 2F and 3R. The little yellow buttons don't seem to work porprly when trying to downshift or upshift.

The owner told me they washed machine and after that, the machine didn't shift.

Nige

The dozer does not shift into other gears. If I remember it is stuck in 2F and 3R. The little yellow buttons don't seem to work properly when trying to downshift or upshift. The owner told me they washed machine and after that, the machine didn't shift.
I would guess that the upshift switch is probably giving a permanent signal to the transmission to upshift, so it "automatically" upshifts as far as it has been programmed to go which is 2F and 3R. Probably got water in a connector somewhere, or maybe even in the upshift switch itself. Finding which one could be a problem though...…

Don't get too hung up on the Click Box thread. Go to my post #45 above that takes you step by step through a procedure where you can create a McGivered replacement for a Click Box using two pieces of wire and some electrical sockets that will fit on to the pins of the Monitor Service Tool Connector which is identical to the black connector shown in the top of the photo.
It's not that hard. The Part Number of the socket (circled) is 126-1768 - probably costs about 50 cents each. You'll need three of them, one as shown plus one on one each end of the other two wires. Just make the wires a bit longer (6"-long should be fine) than I did in the photo which was just to demonstrate the idea. It'll make it easier when you connect the wire assembly to the black connector.

upload_2019-9-28_10-6-26.png

GODSDOZER

Occupation
Dirt Contractor
Here's what your Active Codes indicate: -

114 2114.03 - Accugrade Trigger Switch - incorrect signal.
114 0875.03 - Accugrade Manual Select Switch - incorrect signal.
114 0874.03 - Accugrade Auto Select Switch - incorrect signal.
I didn't look too closely at the photos but I don't recall seeing anything obvious related to Accugrade on the machine, yet according to the system it was built with it - 233-0272 Grade Control Arrangement, Laser.

113 0168.04 - System Voltage Lower than 21.3V (If the voltage drops below 18V, the brakes will apply)
113 0177.03 - Transmission Oil Temperature Sensor - Voltage Above Normal
113 0622.02 - Transmission Upshift Switch. (This switch has two inputs to the ECM. The inputs are Normally Open and Normally Closed. During normal operation, one of the inputs is open and the other input is grounded. A failure is detected when both inputs are in the same state at the same time. The transmission will fail to upshift when the upshift switch is pressed.)

There will be specific diagnostic procedures available for troubleshooting the above. Shout out when you need them.

Nige, the machine is now at my yard so I will have more time to devote to getting things done. I bought the Cat service tool and have erased all codes except the ones that are now active.

I am not concerned about the accugrade codes unless you say I need to be. I can see on the blade that it had the laser mounts on each side of the blade at one time.

Should I change all fluids and filters first and check any magnetit screen filters ? Engine oil looks filthy

Nige

I wouldn't worry about the Accugrade Codes either. If there is no Accugrade panel in the cab that is what is causing the Codes.

Get the belly guards down and give it a good wash. Be careful - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/why-drop-belly-guards.79075/
IIRC you said earlier that the machine had been sitting in that field for years..?
If that is the case I'd get the engine nice and warm, change the engine oil & filters, fuel & air filters for a start. Don't forget to clean the fuel/water separator, drain the cr@p out of the fuel tank and make sure the tank is clean inside.
While it's warm drop the transmission oil and change the filter. Remove & clean all suction screens. Take photos of anything "interesting"
Cut all the old filters and look for particles. "How to" videos on YouTube.
You do have an O&M Manual for it now I take it.?

GODSDOZER

Occupation
Dirt Contractor
Belly pan is off, previous owner is trying to find it LOL . Will do all the oil/ filter , yes I have O&M. Thanks Nige