• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT D3 Project part 2

Old Magnet

Yes, the 9H2256 priming pump is an in line version that was quite common on earlier machines. It's kind of a small displacement but it is all brass so there are no corrosion problems. About $30 aftermarket as I recall.

AllDodge

Yes, the 9H2256 priming pump is an in line version that was quite common on earlier machines. It's kind of a small displacement but it is all brass so there are no corrosion problems. About $30 aftermarket as I recall.

Found one as you said around 30, thanks. Need to find out if my transfer pump is working up to stuff, if not they make a replacement with the primer as part of the transfer pump (4N-0242). Would have to find out from CAT if it would fit, serial numbers don't match but installation seems to have room. Figure if I have to pay 450 for a regular replacement, the one with the primer is 470. Going to have the Inj pump and governor rebuild for around 1700 in Louisville. Need it to warm up to finish getting the block out

AllDodge

Just found something else out and just maybe this is how the water got into the engine, at least it's a guess. The oil cooler that should be on the engine is a 1N-4903. The one that is actually on the engine is 7C-7744, which was ones installed on D4H model.

Cmark

Agreed, the 4W0788 pump shows six interchange numbers but the 4N4314 is not one of them???

I guess you're looking in NPR? In NPR, the left hand column shows alternative numbers for the same part, so if you were to pick up a pump with any of those part numbers on it, it would essentially be the same as a 4W0788. Cat will give a part a new number for, for example, having a change to the composition of the alloy from which it's made. Different number but basically the same part.

For example;

New Fuel Priming Pump Used{1258**
SMCS - 1258

963, 973 Loaders;
D8L, D9G, D9H, DD9H, SXS D9H, D9L, D10 Tractors;
594, 594H Pipelayers;
992C Loaders;
768C Tractors And 769C Trucks

Description of Change: A new fuel priming pump is used on the models shown above. The new pumps have more resistance to leakage and also have an improved design to lock and unlock the handle.

Adaptable As: The new 2W2605 Fuel Priming Pump is a direct replacement for the former 8N490 Fuel Priming Pump, which is canceled.

So we see that if we have either a 2W2605 or an 8N0490, they are both essentially the same part, with detail differences in their construction.

4N4314 is actually the part number for the group which includes the pump, bolts, washers and gaskets. The pump by itsself is now part number 1375541, which used to be 1052508, which used to be 4W788.

Alternatively, if we were to buy a 1832823 (which used to be a 2W2605, and as we can see above, before that 8N0490) we would get a phisically different pump (longer stroke in this case) but the mounting is still the same so it would do the job.

Reactions: DB2

Old Magnet

Cmark,
Right you are, I picked up the 4N4314 group number. The actual pump loops back to the
4W0788.

AllDodge,
You did the same thing I did on the oil cooler. 1N4903 is the oil cooler group number. The actual cooler is a 4N2231.

Cmark

Alternatively, if we were to buy a 1832823 (which used to be a 2W2605, and as we can see above, before that 8N0490) we would get a phisically different pump (longer stroke in this case) but the mounting is still the same so it would do the job.

Just to clarify this sentence, because on re-reading, it sounds a bit misleading. There's nothing in the part numbers or Cat system which tell us 1375541 has the same mounting pattern as 1832823. We only know this through our own a posteriori knowledge.

AllDodge

Cmark,
Right you are, I picked up the 4N4314 group number. The actual pump loops back to the
4W0788.

AllDodge,
You did the same thing I did on the oil cooler. 1N4903 is the oil cooler group number. The actual cooler is a 4N2231.

I looked my number up at Whayne Supply's data base, they don't show the 4N2231 but there is a note to contact the dealer. So I'm sure your right, I just don't know enough about the dealer system to look it up.

On the other hand the previous owner of my D3 did install the 7C-7744, which was ones installed on D4H model. Since they were both designed for a 3204 engine it probably works, just need to pressure test it to find out if something is leaking, at least that is my assumption

AllDodge

I don't see any interchange between 1N4903, 7C-7744 or 4N2231.
The 4N2231 does interchange with a 2W7590

I found it, we are both talking about the same thing. The 1N-4903 is the oil cooler group number which has all the parts in it (cooler, hoses, etc). The 4N-2231 is just the oil cooler.

How I found out about the D4 and the 3204 was talking to the dealer about my oil cooler. It comes back with engine arrangement and the oil cooler. I found the D4 by using the advanced search area and going through several searches until I found the drawing of the cooler I have on the engine. The one below is one my D3

Photo136_zps0bdd56ce.jpg
The pic above is what someone installed on my D3. This is off a D4 and somehow they managed to get in installed. It is under group 7C-7744

a20792b13fb091513986ed_m.JPG
This is the one that should have been installed

Cmark

Wow. Someone's gone to a lot of effort to make that fit. Looks like they've had to "modify" the frame to make it go in!

Are you sure it's not just had a different engine fitted? Does your engine serial number check out OK?

AllDodge

Wow. Someone's gone to a lot of effort to make that fit. Looks like they've had to "modify" the frame to make it go in!

Are you sure it's not just had a different engine fitted? Does your engine serial number check out OK?

So far everything else checks out with the engine serial number. Since I did find the installed cooler on a D4 with a 3204 engine there shouldn't be any issue, I'm thinking. Guess the old one started leaking and they cut the frame a bit to get this current one in.

Will try to figure out how to take it off when I pull the engine. That is if it ever warms up

AllDodge

Big difference in the oil cooler mountings....something is not right.

This is what I have been unable to figure out is how to remove it. I removed the front cover and there is a stainless steal radiator in side but I can find to bolts. Looking on the outside I can barely see some bolts and they are very large. If anyone knows how it is bolted on please let me know.

Cmark

Remove the cooler core and peel off the gasket. You'll find (I think) 2 bolts underneath. Then dig in the crap around the outside and there's maybe another 3 bolts go into the block.

As you've already got the FIP off, you'll have found the ones that go upwards into the governor housing already.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
This is what I have been unable to figure out is how to remove it. I removed the front cover and there is a stainless steal radiator in side but I can find to bolts. Looking on the outside I can barely see some bolts and they are very large. If anyone knows how it is bolted on please let me know.

That looks just like the coolers that were used on some of the Detroit Diesel engine I have worked on.

According to a Cat parts book for the D4 I looked up the housing is held on with 10 12 point bolts around the out side of the housing to which the water lines connect. Once you remove the outer housing the only thing that should be holding the cooler core to the engine should be the gasket. Might need to wedge it of gently with a putty knife tapped between the two parts.

The two gaskets are 7C2230 for the cover at $3.50 Inner gasket is 7C1651 at $6.31, both are stock items at my local Cat House, I mean Cat Dealer!

I did find the instructions for this type of cooler on SIS. Send me a private message with and email address and I can send you it in a PDF. Picture quality is not great but might answer some questions.

Ken

AllDodge

Remove the cooler core and peel off the gasket. You'll find (I think) 2 bolts underneath. Then dig in the crap around the outside and there's maybe another 3 bolts go into the block.

As you've already got the FIP off, you'll have found the ones that go upwards into the governor housing already.

That looks just like the coolers that were used on some of the Detroit Diesel engine I have worked on.

According to a Cat parts book for the D4 I looked up the housing is held on with 10 12 point bolts around the out side of the housing to which the water lines connect. Once you remove the outer housing the only thing that should be holding the cooler core to the engine should be the gasket. Might need to wedge it of gently with a putty knife tapped between the two parts.

The two gaskets are 7C2230 for the cover at $3.50 Inner gasket is 7C1651 at $6.31, both are stock items at my local Cat House, I mean Cat Dealer!

I did find the instructions for this type of cooler on SIS. Send me a private message with and email address and I can send you it in a PDF. Picture quality is not great but might answer some questions.

Ken

Pulled the cover off a few months ago trying to get it off. Did a little prying on the cooler fins but didn't want to pry to hard so I stopped. Mark I think your right about the two bolts, because the one that is listed for it is held on by 2 bolts.
Ken will send a PM and thanks much for the parts list

Cmark

Pulled the cover off a few months ago trying to get it off. Did a little prying on the cooler fins but didn't want to pry to hard so I stopped. Mark I think your right about the two bolts, because the one that is listed for it is held on by 2 bolts.
Ken will send a PM and thanks much for the parts list

I was actually talking about removing the cooler base. It seals onto the block with O rings and you'll be wanting to replace them while you're at it. They leak when they've got a few hours on them. It also containg the cooler bypass valve which you should remove and clean/check.

The cooler core will just be stuck to the base as suggested by kshansen.

Sorry for the confusion.

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Alldodge, water in the oil. This can happen when the oil cooler fails, or when the water pump fails and the weep hole is plugged, or when aftercooler fails but you probably don't have one of those on this tractor. there are many other ways but in my experience these are the most common......TIO

Bluox

Alldodge, water in the oil. This can happen when the oil cooler fails, or when the water pump fails and the weep hole is plugged, or when aftercooler fails but you probably don't have one of those on this tractor. there are many other ways but in my experience these are the most common......TIO

How do a belt drive water pump put water in the oil?
Bob