• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951-C in my sights

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
James,

Glad you found one close by! If you need the instructions I should be able to email them to you. Don't forget to get the oring seals for the top of the chambers!

Last edited:

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I just ordered the 5F8353 tool and four each of the different thickness lower gaskets from Off Road. I already have the large prechamber O-rings. I am confident, with the information gotten from this forum, that I have all that is needed for the repair. Now I just need Mr. Brown to show up with the ordered parts and a little warmer weather.

boone

Yes boone, I spent hours over a few days reading your thread. That was before I bought the 951C. I also took in consideration the cause of your coolant leak when I noticed the antifreeze standing on the cylinder head. I haven't gotten around to pulling the pre combustion chambers yet, but I sure am praying that it is as simple as the o rings and that it is not a cracked head. You know the feeling. After your saga and engine block replacement, I'll bet the pictures that I posted showing the green antifreeze standing on my 951 engine head even made you cringe. When you have to wait until a machine is near scrap price in order to own it, any major breakdown may indeed make it a scrapper.

boone, reading your thread I envy you. I would have loved to have been able to spend such quality time on a project with my dad such as you and your dad have spent on your machine. Bond with him and enjoy working together all that you can for as long as you can. Had your loader been in perfect shape when you got it, think of the good old times you would have missed working with your dad and family.

I am a 100% disabled veteran and it takes me hours and days to do what I used to do in minutes and hours. Working on and with those old machines keeps me busy. It is either old machines or the old recliner, both smell like diesel fuel now days. LOL

Keep up the good work. I catch up on your updates every time I am on the forum.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and happy new year!

Hope the leak is an easy fix. Kinda one of those things where you always hope the cause is something minor, but with this old iron anything could be a culprit.

Your exactly right about the good old times we'd have missed if the loader was perfect. I've thought about that a lot. I really enjoy spending time with he and my brother and thankfully we all get along :) It's good you're still enjoying life and not giving up like a lot of folks would do. I hope I can one day enjoy sitting down in a recliner and smell the diesel. It would mean I'm still working.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours too.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Inside work while watching the rain.

Trying to wait on better weather and higher temperatures. The rain has slowed down some but its a little muddy to work on the F600 outside right now. I am waiting on the chamber seals and tool for the 951.

Just when I really need my 1960s era Hein Warner 4 ton floor jack to raise the dump truck in order to go through the brakes, she blows a seal. The new, made in China jack just does not cut it. I am waiting on the seal kit to arrive from Blackhawk.

I had these angle irons welded together to support the lift cylinders when fully raised to safely work on the 951C. First I wrap the chrome rods so they won't get scratched. I needed someone else to do the welding, I can't use a welder anymore. The magnetic field created when welding don't agree with my pacemaker/ defibulator. I forgot about that just one time, after striking an arc, I guarantee you I'll not forget again! I am able to weld with the oxy/acetylene and I actually went to welding school in the early 1970s on my GI Bill to become a certified oxy/acetylene welder. It's slow.

Attachments

• 20131229_161119.jpg
    20131229_161119.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 901
  • 20131229_161315.jpg
    20131229_161315.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 913
  • 20131229_164027.jpg
    20131229_164027.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 910

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
More than one way to skin CAT!

20131229_162827.jpg20131229_163345.jpg20131229_163415.jpg20131229_160910.jpg20131229_160937.jpg

Nige, this sort of looks like Tony's work sites, I think that we use the same garage! I had to use the old track pads under the jack stands to keep them from sinking in the mud.

Tomorrow, before I pull the brake drums and get under the truck, I will remove the jack and bring the D4E dozer around and put the blade underneath the front of the truck to back up the jack stands.

No offence to tctractors please! I admire his knowledge and his work, If this rain don't stop I'll need find myself one of those Land Rovers too!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Mitch, I know how to skin the Ford, as I said earlier, I'll use two cats tomorrow!

Can you tell from the pictures, I wish that I had used taller and wider roll up doors when I built my shop in 1985. All I had back then was a farm tractor and a dog, no cats.

kshansen

Occupation
Is that F600 as solid in the body as it looks? Living in the rusty north anything over 10 years old just about disappears before your eyes! The newer, `97 up, F150's are the worst!

kshansen

Occupation
Can you tell from the pictures, I wish that I had used taller and wider roll up doors when I built my shop in 1985. All I had back then was a farm tractor and a dog, no cats.

Ever think about jacking that shop up and putting an extra couple courses of blocks under it?

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Fix for short building

Actually, I did remove the top from the left side shed of this building so the D4E would fit in it, but that caused a real bad leak.

20131230_105941.jpg20131230_105953.jpg20131230_110017.jpg

The F600 cab is rust free just as it looks in the picture. This spring I will do some prep work on it and give it some new color. The sides of the box could use some scraping and painting but the bed floor is diamond plate in perfect shape. When I finish cleaning out the lake and am done with the mud hauling I will remove the box enclosure and use it as a flat bed to haul logs.

the high temperature is 27 this morning, I'll wait to pull the brake drums.

390eric

Start them young,and they will love machinery forever. Still remember my first ride on a track loader, I was 5 and think it was 455 or 555 john deere, even had the removeable backhoe. He leveled a pad for our swimming pool. Ended up hauling about ten tri axle loads of dirt to his house one day couple years ago we had to get rid of from a job. Told him the story of him letting me ride with him, he laughed his butt off that I remembered that. And said he was glad its what got me into this business. He still has the track loader too.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
You can't see much of my son, Castle's dad, in the picture. He is the backwards bowler featured on many tv and news programs all over the US. He was invited, and traveled to Japan where he amazed and entertain the tv sports fans there. Myself, I have to cheat and use a rear view mirror on my loader and dozer. Check him out.

thebackwardsbowler.com

tctractors

Nitelite, happy new year to you and your family, all I need is my son to "bring home the Grandkids" he seems to manage plenty of Spooning and Doing with some right high steppers, I just hope he will settle down and start a family before I collect my 6 bits of wood?? anyhow its all about the weather in the U.K. for the last few weeks it has hammered down rain In some order with a wind blast to take away your breath, I have been trying to do what I can as all my jobs are outside work, I even worked on Boxing Day (26th) to flow test a hydraulic fault on an Extec C12 Crusher as things had eased rain wise, yesterday I pressed up a Recoil for a CAT 951C in a Barn, as soon as I fit the recoil into the track frame I can get the shovel inside the Barn and strip out the engine so things are looking up some as this will be a handy job to drop onto when its just to wet to tackle my other tasks, the temps are very mild at the moment for this calender point so this has helped.
tctractors

p.s. Every one in Scotland has a "Castle"

Last edited:

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Just one more problem

20131229_143707.jpg20131229_143710.jpg20131229_143837.jpg20131229_143844.jpg20131229_144403.jpg

I could use some help in the way of input from some of the knowledgeable diesel experts and shade tree mechanics here.

My 3304 engine in my 86J--951C loader is blowing some oil or diesel fuel out of the exhaust stack. What would you think would be the cause? There is some whitish blue smoke coming out of the stack and some blow by out of the breather tube. The engine seems to run good. In the pictures you can see oil, or diesel, coming from a small leak at the exhaust manifold to muffler connection. Notice the oil running down the left half of the exhaust stack, in the pictures, it is the shiny side of the top of the stack because it is wet, and the flipper at the top is also wet. You can also see wet specks of oil on the painted hood after a few minutes of idling. I have not really worked the machine since I have owned it. I have installed a new inner and outer air filter and a fresh oil change w / filter. When I got the machine the inner air filter was stopped up and the outer filter was missing. The oil was two gallons low and very dirty. The oil filter was old and dirty but no metal dust inside.

I now have the gaskets and chamber o rings to stop the coolant leak at the chamber o rings. I need to drop the belly pan to hook up the sensor for the new converter temp gage and to get at the transmission filter for a fluid and filter change. Do I need to go ahead and do an in frame overhaul at the same time? New pistons, rings, cylinders and bearings? I don't want to do un necessary work but at the same time I would like to have the machine in good shape come spring.

The machine seems to run smooth and sounds good, but I have not cracked the injectors yet to test each cylinder. I will do that before I pull the pre chambers. The engine temperature gage did not work when I got the machine and I replaced the gage. It seems to run cool, just barely up into the green, but again, I have not really worked the machine yet.

Any and all comments are welcome. My D4E also has the 3304 and it has a dry stack.

HATCHEQUIP

Could be a turbo and you might try letting it warm up a little then rev her up and stall it using the brakes and trans and really get it warmed up and blew out from maybe doing a bunch of idling

tctractors

Nitelite, that motor in the shovel is a knacker, after a rebuild without putting the engine to work just starting and stopping its possible to get the engine to slobber as in the pic, but once put up a bit of work the slobber effect soon vanishes, as your motor is possibly worn out by the previous owner/s it might be time to give it a birthday, the engines are very easy to do and not to costly (very cheap in the U.K.) to bring up to a good standard. tctractors

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Breather tube blowby is generally rings, given a little work time some engines calm down as to that but should it not the only cure is overhaul. Re-ring will only last a short time given that the piston lands wear with the rings over time and will allow new rings to wallow wearing faster.