• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951-C in my sights

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Nice rig Miller. I'll post pictures of mine when I get it out of the equipment shed next time. Originally it was a state road salt spreader and it has the plow ready hardware attached. It appears to have been well maintained and cared for. I bought it in Benton Ill and drove it at 65 MPH 200 miles back to Tennessee. It was a smooth ride. Governed at about 68 MPH. Cat power plant starts right up and is a smooth runner with no blow by, no smoke or leaks. 50% on rear tires with two new steer tires.

Welder Dave

I find you have to shift fairly quickly at about 1200 RPM in the low range but can shift at around 15-1600 RPM in the high range. I've heard it can vary some depending on the engine. I bought the truck at an auction and looked on the net how to shift to drive it out to my land. Biggest problem I had at first was revving too high when trying to shift. In high range when you're moving if you miss a shift you can usually let off and get it into the next gear. My L9000 was a former plow truck too but just a dump now.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Nice job on the truck Miller. I am finding that parts for Top kicks and Kodiacs are getting scarce. I have been looking for a R side headlight basket, but no luck on a used yet. A new one is more than $80.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Boone, how are you doing. Hope you and your Dad and brother are still involved in the farm and the old Dresser. Good to hear from you, it's been awhile.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Nidge, or anyone else who might have an answer. I posted up thread that my son bought a 955K. He blew a high pressure hydraulic hose that runs from the reservoir to the hydraulic pump. We don't have a manual for a 955K. The serial # is 85J536. Does anyone have the part number for that hose? Cat wants about $500.00 and Off road wants just North of 100.00

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I just need to make sure that we are comparing the same hose. I blew the same hose on my 951C and the replacement from Cat was $103.00 two years ago. Thompson Cat makes them to order. They offered to reuse my old ends at a discounted price but I chose new ends to keep from making two trips.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Welder Dave or maybe D Miller. My son broke a piece off of the corner of his 955K bucket. I have not laid eyes on it but he tells me that the broken piece is about the size of two hands and involves one tooth. He borrowed my metal detector and found the piece. Is there a specific procedure or anything that needs to be done or considered before attempting to weld that corner back on.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Dave should agree, get it REALLY Clean, inspect for transitional cracking away from the broken area, look it over for distress marks that may indicate the steel has become too Thin in spots. Photo would be Handy. Nige had some interesting into on Welding Edge Extensions to complete a pass out to the edge, simple little add on to make a clean weld up.

Last edited:

boone

Nitelite, good to hear from you. Glad you and Dmiller are keeping these old gals running. We've still go the farm and the Dresser. Dad and brother are doing good and blessed with good health. In fact we used the 175 Saturday to install a new security light on a pole around the house. We still get the 175C out every so often to keep the fluids circulated. We've lost some big trees and we've used it to pile them. Don't do much with it, but it's got a good place to sleep and when we do need it, it's sure handy.

Had so much rain this winter that our road to the barn nearly blew out at our tile. It was more than the old 20" tile could carry. Lost a lot of our gravel down the stream. Got to put in some new tile. I guess you saw where I bought a new toy to help with that project. Will have to wait till dryer weather for that fun.

Take care!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Thanks Miller, I will tell my son to watch this thread to glean the fine points and instructions before having it welded. I know that you have done a fair amount of bucket rebuilding on old Alyce.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Boone, as you know, the pain of having to rebuild old iron disappears with time. Time also provides justification for buying the old iron. We have proven that the effort was worth the risk. Now we have the old iron, in good condition, the net savings on the dirt work, and the future use of the machine, whatever that might be. I am sure that the purchase of old iron does not work out for everyone, especially those who can't stand grease under the fingernails.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Nidge, or anyone else who might have an answer. I posted up thread that my son bought a 955K. He blew a high pressure hydraulic hose that runs from the reservoir to the hydraulic pump. We don't have a manual for a 955K. The serial # is 85J536. Does anyone have the part number for that hose? Cat wants about $500.00 and Off road wants just North of 100.00
Sorry I missed this. This is the illustration for the pump lines for 85J00536. Are you talking about the hose Item #8.?

upload_2020-4-28_0-39-18.png

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Not too late but rather just in time. I am thinking it is hose # 8. Anybody got a part # for that hose? I have a number for the hose in my 951C parts book but it is probably a different # for the 955 K.

Welder Dave

Welder Dave or maybe D Miller. My son broke a piece off of the corner of his 955K bucket. I have not laid eyes on it but he tells me that the broken piece is about the size of two hands and involves one tooth. He borrowed my metal detector and found the piece. Is there a specific procedure or anything that needs to be done or considered before attempting to weld that corner back on.

It sounds like it could be a corner guard tooth mount that bolts on but it could be a weld on tooth adaptor. Not sure what year Cat came out with the corner guard system that wraps around the corner of the bucket. It could be a standard tooth adaptor too on a 955K. Like DMiller said clean it up and inspect it. Maybe just the bolt(s) broke or the bolt(s) came out if it bolts on? If it welds on you'd want to clean the bucket really well too and preheat everything to about 300 deg's. and peen each weld to relieve stress. A picture would be really beneficial. If it's a tooth adaptor, bolt on or weld on it may be easiest to just get a new one. If the cutting edge and tooth adaptor is ripped out will require some more extensive work to properly repair. I think DMiller may be referring to run off strips for the weld that Nige has mentioned but need to see what we're dealing with first. Glad to see you back on the forum.:cool: Are you going to make some dueling track loader video's when it's fixed?

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for picking your brain Dave. I will ask my son to post pictures. He says it is indeed broke, not just bolted on. As far as the dueling track loaders, I am not much of a gladiator. I broke my bucket once and had to replace it. That was costly. I was lucky, I found a 951C being parted out not 50 miles from me. A cat loader with no bucket is REALLY just a toy.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
My son dropped off the hydraulic hose at a hydraulic shop. They called and quoted more than $500.00 to make up the hose, pictured as #8 in Nidge and Kshansen's diagram up thread. He told them that their price was out of line and that he would pick up the old hose. He did not need to go inside, they left the hose on the ground outside for him to pick up.

He said that when he picked up the hose he looked up and saw a Thompson Caterpillar Sign, just across the parking lot. He walked the hose over there and Thompson Cat Quoted that they would make up the hose, using the old ends for $150.00 tax in, and out the door including new connection O rings. Done deal!