• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951-C in my sights

Welder Dave

I know, it's a terrible disease having equipment. The bigger issue is most people that have it don't want the cure. Instead they come on a forum to discuss ways to spend even more of each others money with little regard to feeding the illness. :oops:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I know, it's a terrible disease having equipment. The bigger issue is most people that have it don't want the cure. Instead they come on a forum to discuss ways to spend even more of each others money with little regard to feeding the illness. :oops:

That's one of the reasons I spend so much time here.

Love spending other people's money and once in a while actually help fix a machine. All without skinning my knuckles or even getting hands greasy!

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Hello old friends, I am still around. I am getting ready to play in the dirt putting in a new driveway as soon as I can catch some good weather. I will be using the 951-C and the D4-E. I also have purchased, a new to me, 1999 GMC C 8500 Dump truck that I will be using on that and other projects.

Since my last post I have had no break downs and the only repairs that have been needed was a battery cable end that got loose and burned the positive battery post on the 951-C. Quite a simple fix. Both the loader and dozer are in good shape and ready to work. I spent a lot of time and a few bucks on the machines on the front end of the venture, but they have both more paid for themselves many times over. They are kept inside, are well maintained, and ready when I need them. I hope that you are all well and avoiding the COVID 19 virus.

Bill Edwards

Good that you're OK. I found this thread a while ago and that's how I ended up on HEF, I read through the entire thread and have been very impressed with your work.
I do keep wondering when you're going to get round to the job you originally bought the machine for?

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
To answer Bill Edwards, I hope to drain and clean out the lake this summer. That is why I bought the GMC C8500 dump truck February of this year. Grand kids are disappointed as it will interfere with their fishing. I will need to drain the lake and clean it out in July or August.

Nige, really good to hear from you. I try to be safe in everything that I do. You, of all people know that using and working around heavy equipment can be hazardous at best. I try to work with safety as job #1.

Tags, The arm has finally healed after being in four cast. It is a little crooked and it lacks the strength that it once had. It is difficult to start the weed eater, but a crooked arm can be an asset when wrenching in hard to get to and tight places.

Today I used the ag tractor to bury 1500 ft of dog fence wire. I mounted the wire spool on the scraper box, I took all of the teeth out of the scraper box except one. It was slow going but worked really well.

Tags

Glad you're still at it and haven't lost your sense of humor. This was one of the first threads I read when I joined here and always look forward to what project you're doing next, happy to see you posting again!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
85 GMC 7000. Bought running cab and chassis with intent to snatch the cab off for Brother In Law's deteriorating dump truck. Truck was too nice to part out so bought a bed and hoist set up, built it up as a grain truck.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
The reason that I asked, I bought a 1999 GMC C 8500 with a Cat engine and a ten speed. I am having trouble grinding gears while up shifting up or down shifting. I am reading that in order to shift properly you have to double clutch or float the gears without using the clutch between shifts as the transmission is not fully
synchronized. Could be that I need to practice my double clutch technique as I am still grinding gears. Do you know anything about that kind of shifting problem?

No problem at all going from neutral to first or reverse at a stand still.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Same here on hearing all is good. Likely has a 8Spd in it NL? That one is easier shifted without the clutch at all once moving. Takes a little practice but s pretty easy to float shift these. I only used a clutch on some of the Old Detroit powered rigs, especially twin stick. Should use the clutch to start rolling and as come to stop.

My little monster is a 366 Gas on a Allison AT540. Really had no initial intent to take it where its at now!!

Welder Dave

Is it a 10 speed or a 5&2? I have single axle Topkick with a 366 and 5&2. Supposed to be synchromesh but I have to double clutch to go into 3rd gear which is no big deal. Every other gear is synchromesh. If it's a 10 speed is probably better without the clutch and if you use the clutch don't push it to the floor cause it likely has a trans. brake. I have a 9 speed in my dump truck and it's a learning curve shifting without the clutch and way lower RPM's, especially starting off. Easier once you got some speed.

Tags

Is it an 8LL? I belive some will call that a 10 speed or is it something else? I have an 8LL in my ten wheeler and NEVER touch the clutch unless starting or stopping, it "floats" in and out of gear seamlessly as long as your travel speed and rpms are in a happy place to allow shifting. Used to drive a Pete 330 with a Cummings and an 8LL and it was tricky to shift at times, sounds like yours may be the same way. Practice, practice, practice.....you'll get it

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
It has a Eaton Fuller ten speed. Starting with the button down, shift first through fifth gear, then pull the button up and shift first through fifth again to get to tenth gear. It does have the trans brake if the clutch is pushed to the floor.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Glad to see that you are still around kshansen. Retirement must suit you well. Hope your health is also serving you well. My pacer/ defib battery is about depleted. Got to have a new unit installed, that will be my fifth unit since 1999. I am completely dependent on the unit as my heart is incapable of generating a beat on its own. Sounds bad but it is just routine for me.

You be careful up there in New York old friend.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
As Dave noted earlier, you do not take the engine to full rpm in the lower gears, becomes a mind/muscle memory as to when to shift, if run it out to governor becomes hard to get out of gear as truck runs up on the gear train and harder still to catch that next gear as are pretty close ranged. 4th/5th widen out some.

My 'Little machine' dressed out

IMG_5264[1].jpg IMG_5270.JPG IMG_5271.JPG