• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 951-C in my sights

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Yes in the Ford handle, it is ford and Mid Ten Ford Trucks had it in stock. They also knew the part number without looking it up. Seems that the same handle was used on some F150 and 250s.

The 55 is really fun to drive. I learned, just once, that she will go sideways with you when she hits 2nd gear. That little pedal on the right will quickly teach you to respect her.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
The 55 was built three years ago and was stolen at its first car show. The couple who built it planned to do some traveling in it. They caught the thieves but not before the car incurred some damage. The police kept the car as evidence for a year and a half. The trial for the thieves was postponed several times and dragged on so long that the people became disgusted with the whole affair.

When they finally got the car home they had the damage fixed. They didn't want the car any longer. they didn't want to see it, to talk about it, or even own it any more. They signed it over to a friend to sell for them.

They bought the car in Pennsylvania for $44,000 and paid $800.00 to ship it to Tennessee. They furnished me with the record of what the first owner had spent for restoration. When they got it to Tennessee, they tore it down to the last bolt and nut. They flipped the frame upside down and started a restoration project of their own and spared no expense. Therefore it is called a rotisserie resto mod. (restored and modified). They furnished me the records and receipts to prove that they had spent $144,000.00 on the car's second restoration after purchasing it. It features every convenience to be found in a late model modern vehicle today.

Don't get me wrong, I paid a tidy sum for the car, but knowing how much money has been spent on the car, and how much money has been lost on the car, I feel like I stole it the second time. But, that is not how my wife sees it! She thought that it was my last request!

Last edited:
hello there i too have a Cat 951c that the track tension needs to be removed and get the seals replaced, can this be done with out taking off the front idler?
i think it can be by removing the steel brace in front of the grease zerk that applies tension to the tracks is this correct?

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I just finished this thread Nitelite, got to say thank you for writing your tale down for all of us to enjoy. Its a great legacy that will probably be read for generations!
Hats off to you!

Welder Dave

hello there i too have a Cat 951c that the track tension needs to be removed and get the seals replaced, can this be done with out taking off the front idler?
i think it can be by removing the steel brace in front of the grease zerk that applies tension to the tracks is this correct?

I think the idler has to come off and then the rod can be pulled out to access the seals. You don't want to TOUCH anything around the spring area other that letting the grease pressure off. There should some info in the archives on here or someone may post the procedure. Don't do anything until are 100% sure you know the proper procedure. That spring can kill you!

Bluox

maybe you can start a new thread , if your tracks are well worn you can usually safely change seals without removing that brace.
Bob

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
Well, I am still around. Some down time in the hospital as my pacemaker wires wore through my chest and then got infected. I got a new generac whole house generator installed and used the loader quite a bit to cut down a bank and level the spot for the propane tank and generator. The old 951-c still runs and operates like a dream. All of the work that I did on her has really paid off.

I have plans to move a lot of dirt using the loader and my Sterling dump truck come August when the ground should be really dry. The old D4E also has a job to do in the long range plan around the place.

Nitelite

Occupation
Retired
I got caught up in collecting tri five chevroletts. I have aquired the 1955 Belair, a 1957 Belair two door hard top, and a 1957 Nomad. All are shoe quality.

i put in a BendPack 9000 pound lift and really enjoy fooling around with them. Always need to do something to one of them. Also have the 1948 F-1 pickup to fool with, it is also show quality. I have decided to sell the F-1 and it is on the market.

emmett518

This is my D4E

I can't believe the build up on the track shoes. It is like concrete and running the machine over gravel roads will not remove it. I spent most of the day removing the clay from the track shoes of the D4 and the 951C. That is Tennessee red clay. I had to use the pictured ling handled scraper for leverage and then a hammer and chisel around the bolt heads.View attachment 107699View attachment 107700
My backhoe had similar sludge on the underside, and it took a lot of work to clean it up. Especially around the front hubs. It is like concrete.