• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Loaner rust bucket

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Brother In law let me have to use his old Chevy 70 dump truck. cab is cancered so bad cannot get clutch adjusted anymore as cab mounts are shot while the trans is pretty well junk and the electrical system almost is enough to keep a battery charged, almost.

DSC03257.JPG DSC03258.JPG DSC03259.JPG

This little jewel popped up on CL and I bought it sight unseen at $500, drove it onto my trailer. 1985 C7000 366LP Allison auto.
IMG_3608.JPG

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Wow, that cab is really rusty. on a positive note you can spit tobacco without lowering the window.
Swapping the box to the new truck? That 366 should be in good shape if its been on propane its whole life.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
L door window track shot craps window got sideways and fell off regulator so no need to lower any!!
had to carry a gallon of p/s fluid or atf for the p/s brake booster. Hydra boost Bendix 4 wheel disc both trucks.

Old 366 has the typical sets too long GM valve train miss on start but sounds good after warming., does have a Gasoline tank on it with a electric frame mount pump so has seen gas. Need to look at the frame, know I have a busted torque leaf rt rr, may be simple enough to shorten but a 12' flatbed/stake body on the old scissors unit may be an alternate.

Will have to check some yards as to what is out there.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Anybody know of a truck junk yard NOT overly proud of their stuff? Near to me would be great as to finding a 12-14' flat/grain/dump bed. Don't need the hoist just a bed. Closer ones to me are out of the frickin minds!! $3000 for a take off 16' Omaha Standard(1988) needs a complete floor but has a hoist they won't separate, another has a 14' contractor dump bed with fold down sides that "Needs a little welding work" as was in a wreck and got tweaked pretty hard $2200. No tail gate, one side will not move is bent too bad.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
"Cancerous" to say the LEAST..
The steel can in the picture has MORE metal on it than the entire floor board.!!! LOL.
That "NEW TRUCK" looks mighty promising.. if you can find a box..
Good luck w/ your project..

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Have to call a guy in my area tomorrow, may have a dead grain truck the bed 'Could Be' bought off before it goes to junk.

crane operator

I can go look at it for you if you need me too. Its about a 1/2 hour from my place.

13' Dump Bed - $1500 (Omaha) hide this posting
image 1 of 3
00f0f_jDvjnl1hSA3_600x450.jpg

13' dump bed in good shape. Comes with 3 stage hoist (hoist may need rebuilt).

https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/13-dump-bed/6555427050.html

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
This was my original Money Pit.

Started off in life as a standard cab 1969 Dodge W300, old rail or highway department truck. Factory PTO Braden Winch at front, old NP205 Transfer case and NP435 four speed. Factory was a slant 6, next up was a 318 when I got it, that smoked a thrust main due to the 4.88 gears, second engine a 345 did not last either smoked the main again(was kinda tight spun a few times). Last up replaced the third members to get different brake sizes as the OEM parts had ceased to exist, went to 12.5"w rear shoes from 1.25"w and to GM style front disc from the 1"w shoes, also got it to 3.43 ratio where a 383 got built to be slipped in. I trashed the old cab(slight alcohol induced accident with a road barrier sign) cab mounts completely sheared away so went this route. 18" frame stretch 1973 extended cab and NO there is NO Lift on this truck, old Straight Frame Dodge and yes I could replace plugs hood down. 32 gallon UPS truck gas tank and a 7.5x9.5 foot steel floor flatbed(no hoist).

Was known as 'The Beast'. 12 leaf rear springs, 6 leaf fronts did not give much. HAD to use seat belts.
73 Dodge.jpg

Wes J

I used to work on a lot of those old Chevys. Very popular here as grain trucks. Most common was a 366 gas with a 3 speed auto or a 4 speed manual and a 2 speed rear axle. Most had a single drive axle and a single cheater axle.

The juice brakes was a real issue. I was constantly replacing brake lines that rusted out. That's the first place I ever saw a brake rotor rust into 2 pieces.

Most of them that were still surviving hit the crusher back when corn was $7/bushel and every farmer bought a semi with a hopper bottom.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
MAY have lucked into a yard bed.

Close to me, on a old grain truck, Steel side 15' with four foot grain sides and end gate, wood floor is had but has had 1/8" steel sheets welded overlay.
$2000 bed, hoist and pump assembly. Will include pivot hinge and pin and guides as well. Looks like an old Omaha bed.

Do need to get a torque leaf for the Rt RR spring with the bushing and a few odds and ends that time and sitting have eaten on.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Took me a year to get that old Beast where I wanted it and functional. That truck would pull and run but was a money pit. Sold it to a landscaper, thought it looked cool, wrecked it twice in a year and totaled it the next.

td25c

Anybody know of a truck junk yard NOT overly proud of their stuff? Near to me would be great as to finding a 12-14' flat/grain/dump bed. Don't need the hoist just a bed.

We ran in to a similar situation on the 1966 Chevy C-60 . Needed a bed for it & could not find one .

Ended up building a bed for it using an old house trailer frame for the foundation & went with wood floor & sideboards . Even has a trip tail gate & chains for spreading stone .100_3373[1].jpg

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I drive a 1976 C65 27500 GVWR with flat dump (racks). It has a fresh 5000 mile 427 tall block truck motor. I've dumped a million dollars into it, but it's time for change. I bought a 1990 Top Kick fire truck with 31000 miles. I'm going through Hell finding a serviceable PTO. Thus far, I've bought two, neither was usable. With dump, I'd sell for $5000. or I'll move the body to the newer truck. I'll then have a cab & chassis with hydraulics, and PTO. I'm hoping for three C&C. I have much more than that in new tires alone.

Missouri is not far to drive this truck.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
HAHA! I have a bed coming, the entire set up pump, reservoir, scissors unit and bed with full side racks $2000. Should be off by the time I get back from Johnstown CO next week.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Alright you all can laugh at the old fool but here is progress so far:

Found a decent grain box, will need refloor but solid, $2k, had a busted radius leaf on Rt RR, that I found at the same yard, new bushing and back in business there. Going to get new LP lines made and get materials to replace the rear bed pivot.

IMG_3803.JPG IMG_3806.JPG IMG_3822.JPG IMG_3825.JPG