• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 428 3054 engine spurting oil from dipstick

Pralhad Birdi

Hi all, I’ve got a 428C backhoe with a retro-fitted 3054 engine Serial No. 7BJ46984 in it. Originally had a NA engine in it which broke a rod, and I picked this up on the cheap so stuck it in.
Its got a couple of issues basically:
- I’ve changed the turbo on this engine 3 times, and they keep failing within less than 100 hours of work. The last one lasted about 2 hours.
- I’ve got oil spurting out of the dipstick at idle.
Engine oil pressure is about 65psi at low idle. Now I’ve got a new genuine Perkins turbo, but I’m afraid to fit it until I know what’s causing the failures.
There’s no white smoke, engine is a half-kick start and no excessive fuel smoke either.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thanks!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
That oil pressure seems extremely hi to me.!!!
Check to see if it’s diluted and/or over filled.. u might have fuel in the oil.??
Have u taken a turbo apart to look at the failure marks.??
If the shaft is gaulded/metal transfer, it means lack of lube..
If the shaft is blue, same thing.
U can start the engine w/o the turbo and watch the oil flow..
You have to rig up a hose to put the oil back into the return..
Another thing, I’ve seen where the return pipe gets smashed/pinched so there’s little to no return oil..
Good luck

Pralhad Birdi

So I’ve drained the oil and refilled to capacity (7L) and checked, but it’s still behaving the same.
The turbo failure is consistently at the shaft, which would point to lack of lubrication, but I’m getting plenty of oil at the turbo oil inlet. The return pipe is also clear, but it’s spurting oil up same as the dipstick.
At the moment I’ve started the engine without the turbo on, and attached a mechanical oil pressure gauge at the turbo oil pressure port. That’s where I’m getting the reading from.
Ran flushing oil through the machine as well, and cleaned out the oil pump pickup sieve and relief valve as well.
The relief valve piston seemed to have a fair bit of wear on it, but didn’t seem sticky.

Pralhad Birdi

That oil pressure seems extremely hi to me.!!!
Check to see if it’s diluted and/or over filled.. u might have fuel in the oil.??
Have u taken a turbo apart to look at the failure marks.??
If the shaft is gaulded/metal transfer, it means lack of lube..
If the shaft is blue, same thing.
U can start the engine w/o the turbo and watch the oil flow..
You have to rig up a hose to put the oil back into the return..
Another thing, I’ve seen where the return pipe gets smashed/pinched so there’s little to no return oil..
Good luck
Also no diesel in the oil from what I could tell.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Does the relief valve have an adjustment on it.??
What about different springs for different pressures.??
I’m just spit balling here.. idk how it works..
Ur gonna hafta wait till someone else chimes in..

Pralhad Birdi

Does the relief valve have an adjustment on it.??
What about different springs for different pressures.??
I’m just spit balling here.. idk how it works..
Ur gonna hafta wait till someone else chimes in..
Nope no adjustment on it, just a piston and a spring held in place with a flat washer and circlip. No shims to remove either.
I’m not sure about different springs tbh, might be the case maybe?

Pralhad Birdi

What range should the engine oil pressure be at? And if it’s too high, could this be a factor causing the sump to pressurise and possibly restrict oil flow in the turbo oil return line?
Or could it just be too high and pushing past the seals in the turbo, into the impeller, and thus cause the turbo failure?

Tinkerer

From a Caterpillar publication for a 3054.

High Oil Pressure​

High oil pressure can be caused by the following conditions.

The spring for the oil pressure relief valve is installed incorrectly.

The plunger for the oil pressure relief valve becomes jammed in the closed position.

Excessive sludge exists in the oil which makes the viscosity of the oil too high.