• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580k basket case project!

Tinkerer

Oooops ! It is.
If that one for a 416 is a $1000.00 plus shipping is an indication as to what they sell for I would think a machine shop could repair yours like Ando did for a lot less than that. Or maybe have it repaired by line boring it.

So I had the swing tower line bored and bushed $975. Seems fair. I will pick it up in ADA Oklahoma in the A.M. The 446b seemed to not have any power in the swing how would I diagnose bad resolver seals?

Ando

Occupation
Proprietor - 5 Star Contract Services
Just to update the thread...the replacement (used) selector fork has arrived in the mail. I'm in the process of tracking down bearings, clips and seal now. Unfortunately the Case dealer in town shut down a few years back so I'm in touch with another dealer about 400k's away.

Tinkerer

Unfortunately we may never know what happened to Phil.
I spent a lot of time on the internet trying to determine what happened to him. The closest i came was when I found someone on another forum that said he knew Phil and didn't live far from him. I sent a couple of emails to him but didn't get any reply's. Now I don't even have that email address.
Just before Phil posted for the last time we were private messaging each other about a micrometer he wanted to buy from me. That discussion ended the same time he quit posting on HEF. :(

Tinkerer

Thanks Tinkerer . He had so much knowledge of the old case backhoes .
I still miss his awesome help on the old 580's.
I was hoping his son would have posted something about him. Nice looking young man. He was in one of Phil's photos.
The thread was about Phil's ---> Dead Goat Machine.
I just found the photo. Anyone know what the windshield tag represents ??phil.JPG

Last edited:

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
@Tinkerer That 361 sticker looks like an auction sticker John.
Another lead to track Phil down maybe?

Ando

Occupation
Sorry, I haven't heard from Phil in ages. Maybe just busy???

Ando

Occupation
So, I have now received two second hand selector forks. Only one was broken, though the other is worn on one side so I'll replace both. All bearings and seals/rings etc are on hand as well.
I dug around in the shed a couple of weeks ago and got all the swingtower pins etc out. The bottom of the swing tower frame was flogged out really badly so has to be bushed to accept a new bush.
Unfortunately i forgot to take of pic of the machining when i linebored the lower frame member.
Stay tuned kids; pics of the fresh lineboring and parts to come tomorrow.

Attachments

• 580K bottom backhoe frame.png
    580K bottom backhoe frame.png
    460.3 KB · Views: 40

Ando

Occupation
I set up the lineborer and took the bottom frame out to suit the new insert. I've gone size for size so the insert will be snug. Will also do a 45 degree prep for the weld.
I'll get the oxy and cut the old boss off the bottom. The new insert will be pulled in from the bottom and welded out. There are two gussets under there that pick up the boss as well.

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 34

Ando

Occupation
The gearbox door with the old intact selector fork still in there. I'll replace this as there is a bit of wear on the side.

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 29

Ando

Occupation
Hi Tinkerer, I didn't even think to take a shot of the setup on the hoe, although here is a pic from a job earlier on the same day. I welded and resized the articulation bearing clevis' on a mining jumbo.
The drive unit is at the top; at this stage i was boring the bottom hole.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 46