• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580k basket case project!

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I've had two. both leaked torque converter progressively worse. I took my present one for repair to the dealer. It was fixed in a day. Parts cost $50, labor cost $950. When low 4th doesn't work well. Your hoe is very different from mine. My boom is massive with one big lift cylinder.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Err, I've been a little busy lately. Hope everyone is well. ;)
Still now hoe on the old girl yet, although it has been used most months since the last update. We had a huge bushfire come close to the house today so I pushed a couple of fire brakes. 1st gear has had a loud whine for a while so I've been using 2nd for light pushing. I pushed for about an hour today then though I would select 4th to travel to the next area to work in. No go for 4th, then same for 2nd. The shifter feels very sloppy as well. I put the machine in to 1st and parked it up. I'll have to delve through the manual to find if there is an adjustment for the shifter; if not the selectors will be the next stop.

Hey Ando! Just come & visit when you want something eh?
Take a look at the bottom of the gearshift lever, there is a pivot that has a habit of coming loose.
Hope it's an easy fix for you.
cheers ;)
580K gearshift.png

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I have two sons that DNA would confirm. The count of those who have adopted me is between three and four. Sheer chance all six are unnaturally strong. Andy does not yet know it. When transmission gears aren't moving at all, they sometimes don't easily slip into gear. We're still training Andy you don't force it. The linkage keeps getting bent/broken. I hope that's what you are dealing with.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Hey guys the ROPS s/n is not the VIN if your tag usually located right above the left step. Now the hidden s/n is under the operators platform on top of the frame where you step onto platform.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm curious how much the Aussie 580K differed from the USA version. The 580K was built in Iowa? Or was it? A good friend demoed both the 580K and G at the same time. He remembers there was $20,000 dollars difference between the tractors. He pointed out the flat glass on the G, higher ground clearance, taller tires, lower price, and a whole lot less moulded plastic, and upholstery on the Italian? built G. The K was to his thinking, not worth the extra money.
Dearly loved, and cared for, passed from first owner, to next door neighbor, who also cares for it, at 3000 hours, it's tired! My K has almost 5000 hours, The interior upholstery is very tired, everything electrical has failed, and been replaced at least once. Function wise, it is still going strong. I love my K but recognise that all that plastic moulded interior luxury was never intended for VT winters. At -20 F that plastic shatters like glass. Carpet, and fluffy stuff won't hold up in weather, and holds moisture encouraging mildew, and rust.

I notice you have a different hoe, I wonder how much else is different.

alrman

Occupation
I notice you have a different hoe, I wonder how much else is different.

The tractor & front loader are the US built machines, however most were sold as side shift backhoes.
The side shift frames for the hoes were built here in Australia using original Case control valves, cylinders, booms, dippers, buckets & bolted on to the tractor chassis.
The stabilizers were known as scissor type, pivoting down from the centre of the side shift frame.
They were considered to be a little unstable..... I've seen many skilled operators swinging the hoes with the tractor on two wheels..... & a few unskilled guys doing it too!
There were the US centre mount hoes sold here as well, but far fewer than the side shift models.
The 580G model never officially was sold over here, although there are a few around that were imported from the European market.

Last edited:

alrman

Occupation
Huh? I can't say I've seen a side shift hoe except in manuals. Why so many down under?
I'm not really sure how it came about, consumer demand I guess.
Here, a backhoe can dig parallel to & 12" away from a wall or fence.... ;)
"So many" is a bit of an overstatement, while the percentages of sideshift vs centremount is very high here, in the 80's I think Australia had about 3 or 4 percent of all the backhoe market share in the world! Today would likely be even less.

Sorry Ando.....getting a bit carried away here.....

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Hey guys to add to the conversation on sideshift V center mount backhoe is that Europe had such narrow streets the center mount took up to much room on the streets, just my thoughts. And BTW I've seen one side shift backhoe here in the states many years ago.

Ando

Occupation
Proprietor - 5 Star Contract Services
Ok, I've gotten back to the 580 to check the gear linkages- all good by the looks of it.
So I dug a little deeper; took the top/selector door off the box. One selector fork had broken off. Perfect; an easy fix.
In the box itself, it all looked good until I grabbed the driveshaft and turned it. The mainshaft roller bearings are running without rollers.
A couple of the gears show signs of damage on the edges, where they've probably been only just meshing.

That would explain the noise!
Pics will be up later.

Ando

Occupation
Hey Ando! Just come & visit when you want something eh?
Hope it's an easy fix for you.
cheers ;)

It looks like a reasonably easy fix; unless I find more damage later. (See above post). I tell you what; my heart was as broken as those mainshaft bearings.
Took a day or so to walk back and properly assess the situation.

I still lurk around here, though my knowledge is pretty limited (unless it's something I've done or a welding question) so I don't post often.
Add 2 kids since the project first started + working beyond my pay level....and just started up my own fabrication business in late 2016.
Just not enough hours in a day!

alrman

Occupation
Ok, I've gotten back to the 580 to check the gear linkages- all good by the looks of it.
So I dug a little deeper; took the top/selector door off the box. One selector fork had broken off. Perfect; an easy fix.
In the box itself, it all looked good until I grabbed the driveshaft and turned it. The mainshaft roller bearings are running without rollers.
A couple of the gears show signs of damage on the edges, where they've probably been only just meshing.

That would explain the noise!
Pics will be up later.

Yep - Those shift forks don't break for no reason...... Let the transaxle rebuild begin ...... :rolleyes:

Ando

Occupation
Here is the transaxle mainshaft, revealed from beneath the selector door (that's what I call them anyway)
I have a F clamp holding 4th gear up to the front face to remove the snap ring. Note also the lack of rollers in the "roller bearing" which has become a slightly oversized bush haha
Also see a couple of said rollers having a little holiday in the cavity up top.

IMAG2930.jpg

Here is the selector forks, with the 1st and second gear fork broken off.
IMAG2933.jpg

Ando

Occupation
I'm hoping the rest of the transaxle checks out alright, ie: pinion shaft, ring gears etc.
Best case scenario would be new bearings on the mainshaft, re-install correctly, replacement selector fork and away we go. Fingers crossed.
I really don't want to have to remove the entire transaxle from the backhoe.

When I originally bought and cleaned up the machine I did notice the selector door did have excess sealant around it. Judging by other previous, poor quality repairs on the machine, I wondered about how good any work in there would have been done.
Keeping that in mind; when I removed the cover from the front of the transaxle, I noticed there were no shims on the mainshaft roller bearing.
I wonder whether they've been chewed up with that mainshaft flogging around in there, or whether they were ever fitted at all?

On the left is the repair bush for the bottom of the swingtower, with the tapered pin. On the right is repair bush for the bottom of the backhoe frame.
Hopefully, I'll get them welded in, this weekend.:D
Making progress.........
I need these for this 446b cat where do I find?

Ando

Occupation
That's correct Tinkerer; I had the bushes machined out of 4140 steel. I purchased the new bottom swing pin from Case and had the tapered repair bush made to suit.
I would like to have suggestions on how to fix my swing tower I have it off, and got a new pin from cat and two bushings. The bottom of the swing tower is egged.

Tinkerer

Ando

Occupation
So the bottom bush will not seat in the swing tower?
My swing tower is fabricated steel. The CAT tower will likely be a ductile cast iron. A Eutectic hot spray torch would be my first pick for repair. The hot spray powder brazes on to the surface of the cast so no dramas with HAZ (heat affected zone) and hardness. You can then line bore the repaired area.
Alternatively, it can be welded, then bored to accept the new bush. You will need to find someone who knows how to tab test the cast and filler metal to find the most suitable electrode for the repair. If the wrong electrode is used the repair area will be too hard to machine afterwards.

Not sure what engineering rates are like in your area but over here (Australia) I'd be quoting budget pricing of $600-800. A second-hand tower may be a good option.