• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580k basket case project!

Ando

Occupation
Proprietor - 5 Star Contract Services
Well after so long out of action and myself being too busy on customer jobs and various other projects of my own, I'm getting a fitter in to do the transaxle for me.
Just waiting on some additional parts at the moment. The mainshaft will be pulled and bearings/seals/split rings replaced.
At least I'll get it up and going for wet season road preparations. Once the wet season is in full swing I'll refurb the hoe and get it back on the machine.

Here are a couple of lineboring job pics just for fun.
I designed and built the rock grab for 10 tonne rocks that a client is handling.086.jpg

Tinkerer

Hi Ando !
Nice to see you back.
Geez, your shop is cleaner than my kitchen. :eek:
I knew you had machinist skills from following your basket case. I was impressed when you refurbished the swing tower on your 580.
I didn't know you did line boring.
I hope you realize your thread has had over 100,000 views !

Reactions: DB2

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Hi Ando !
Nice to see you back.
I knew you had machinist skills from following your basket case. I was impressed when you refurbished the swing tower on your 580.
Never mind 100,000 views! He does line boring!!!!!! Might be 15000 miles away. He understands line boring!

Ando

Occupation
Hi Ando !
Nice to see you back.

Thanks mate, I come in a lurk every now and then to see what everyone is up to and answer a post if I can help.
Haha, luck the rest of the shed is in the dark background...it was a mess. Customer was in a panic to get this oversized grab so extreme hours were required.

I hope what I'm doing with my backhoe can help out anyone restoring a similar machine. I feel pretty bad that it's taken since 2009 to get this far but as soon as the machine was usable (the loader at least) it was put to work which of course meant the hoe was set aside.
I'm hoping to have the machine fully assembled and painted in the next six months or so..(probably said that in the first 2009 post too)

Ando

Occupation
I pulled the mainshaft today. Didn't go as smoothly as the manual describes. Some broken parts and burrs on the spline meant I had to tap it all the way out.
Pics of parts....and pieces of the synchro plates/bearing and washers.

Attachments

• 372.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 11

Ando

Occupation
Bits and pieces

Attachments

• 376.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 8

Ando

Occupation
Thankfully the countershaft, crownwheels and pinion all look ok. There is the obligatory 1/4" of sludge in the bottom of the diff but this will all get a flush out before reassembly.

Attachments

• 373.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 6
  • 374.jpg
    374.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 17