• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580c

Bryan5238

Any of you guys ever use the heavy duty pros rebuild kits? If so are they pretty good? They are cheaper than the others but not sure on the quality

Bryan5238

They only have the late model 188 kits. Think I’m going to have to go to the earlier engine style. I haven’t checked the bore yet. Broken tractor has a kit as well they use reliance parts.

Bryan5238

Any tips on getting this pulley off the crank? I’ve heated it up with a torch. Took a cheater bar too it. And this won’t budge….

Tinkerer

It will never come off until you remove the nut that holds it on the crankshaft.
So, Heavy Duty Pros is a vendor of engine parts. The only way to find out if they sell well known brands of parts is to call them.
I would recommend you call Dale Wiess.
http://www.e-backhoeparts.com/
His prices are very competitive with other vendors.
I have purchased engine kits from him and they are high quality well know brands of parts.
The piston ring end gaps were perfect when I checked them before mounting them on the pistons.

Bryan5238

Okay sounds good I will go that route when the time comes. Is that nut right hand thread? Or left hand

Bryan5238

Well I gave up trying to get that but off the crank. I used an 8ft cheater ended up breaking it. So I loaded it up took it to a welding shop gonna have him pull it off for me. I don’t know what is holding it on so tight

Bryan5238

Hey guys well the welding shop got the nut off the crank. Reason I was having a hard time was the threads on the crank where gulled up. I’m needing to get a thread die for it. You all know what size thread tap I would need?

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
It would be better to let the welding shop repair it if they would be willing to do it.
Or a machine shop.
It may be expensive, but a lot cheaper than a totally messed up crankshaft.
Okay. Yeah il take the crank in to a machine shop. See if they can clean these threads up.
I would be willing to bet that they tried to loosen that nut while they had everything red hot, that's why metal gaulds,it would have been better to let everything cool just a bit before turning it, the same applies to the cylinder glands that need heated to break loose, I have seen a few of those gaiuled also, same situation, turning it while everything is close to melting temp.

Bryan5238

Well I’m finally about to pull the trigger on a rebuild kit for the 188. I did get the nut off but I have to order a new nut for it and pulley.

Bryan5238

Well started putting back together. And found out from the machine shop that the crankshaft has been previously ground. So someone has worked on it.

Attachments

• 6F1602EF-94B3-40FD-A36C-EC4D27458348.jpeg
    6F1602EF-94B3-40FD-A36C-EC4D27458348.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 30

Bryan5238

So far I haven’t had that problem. Im done turning it now. Have it in time. About ready to put the cylinder head on. Going to lap the valves first. Was going to take the head in but since it’s been worked on I changed my mind. You all know what I will need to transfer over to the 188 for it to work in the C? The dipstick tube on the 207 is short and the one on the 188 is long. I ended up bending the tube on the 188. But I don’t think I can use it anyway.

Bryan5238

Another question. I’m wanting to put a block heater in this for old weather. Read online that I can take out that plug on the left rear side of the block and install one there. That hole tho doesn’t look very big for a heater to go into. It’s the one with the 5/16 square hole.