• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580c

Bryan5238

I was thinking that myself. I don’t have the piece that broke off. What would you use to fill the hole?

Bryan5238

Wish I had the piece that broke. I’ve never repaired anything like that before but I’d give it a shot

Tinkerer

I don't think it can be simply brazed. Toooo much expansion will occur in that small area and cause cracking.
I think commercial repair shops have a specific procedure that they use to heat them in an oven.
As scarce as those blocks are I would certainly try to repair it.

franklin2

My Dad had a old Allis Chalmers WD that had a hole in the block. Someone had drilled and tapped holes all around the large hole, and used a piece of sheetmetal and rubber and bolted it to the side of the block to seal it. It was like that when he bought it, ran that thing for years like that, and then sold it a few years ago and still see it once in awhile pulling hay wagons.

I don't think it's a strength issue, just a issue of keeping the oil inside the engine.

Bryan5238

I know a metal shop that could fix it. Machine shops around here won’t touch it. Least I called the ones I use. Probably go ahead and fix it and put it back in the tractor

Tinkerer

That is good if they have extensive experience doing it
It is not a repair for an amateur to do.
I saw a Caterpillar D-9 engine with a big hole in it from a con rod wanting out of it similar to yours but bigger.
It was repaired with a patch and had hundreds of hours put on it afterwards.

Bryan5238

Yeah think that’s the route I’m going to go. I can tell this doesn’t have a ton of hours if the hour meter works it had 2900. That 580b probably has 20k hours as worn out as it is. Had to drill holes and put bolts in some of the bucket pins to keep them from coming out cause the bushings are shot.

Bryan5238

Got the loader off the C today. Started messing around with the forward and reverse. It’s not engaging in either. I know it’s something minor cause I can move the driveshaft from the transmission to the rear differential. Any ideas? I tried to hook power to some of the connections by the transmission and still no luck

Bryan5238

Does it have to be running and the hydraulic pump pumping for it to go into forward or reverse?

franklin2

Yes, if you have the forward/reverse lever on the left side of the steering wheel, it has something very much like a car automatic transmission with an internal oil pump driven by the torque convertor. If the internal pump is not turning, it won't go.

Bryan5238

I don’t think I’m gonna go with this motor it’s a pretty bad gash I don’t wanna spend the money to rebuild it. And down the road it leaks. When I have a good motor and block. It will be good for parts.